Reload this Page >

RE: Advice on STNI?

RE: Advice on STNI?

Old Sep 23rd 2002, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Advice on STNI?

Hi All!

I have just applied for STNI to Vic Gov. We plan on settling in Melbourne, as we have family there.
My application for PR on skilled ind. was lodged at Adelaide in May this year. Dont know why we didnt think of it before, but, as my occupation is on Vic gov's MODL as well as DIMIA's one, Ive just thought that by applying for STNI now, it may speed up the application! I also have a job offer and could therefore start working straight away! [ I am a 'Hairdresser'] We really are so desperate to get to oz!, so we're hoping this will help!!

Can anyone please tell me:

a] How long does it take for the decision to be made with STNI? I have read 12 weeks, but i'm hoping it will be sooner!

b] Will STNI speed up my application? and if so, by how much, roughly?

Any info on this will be much appreciated! I would also love to hear from anyone who has also applied for STNI a 'bit late in the day' as far as their DIMIA application goes! to see how they got on! as it seems most people apply for this from the start!

Hope to hear soon!

Cheers!
Old Sep 23rd 2002, 8:44 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Advice on STNI?

Get in touch with Victoria directly.
http://www.migration.vic.gov.au

Jeremy

>On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:40:45 +0000, poggle wrote:
    >Hi All!
    > I have just applied for STNI to Vic Gov. We plan on settling in
    > Melbourne, as we have family there.
    > My application for PR on skilled ind. was lodged at Adelaide in
    > May this year. Dont know why we didnt think of it before, but,
    > as my occupation is on Vic gov's MODL as well as DIMIA's one, Ive
    > just thought that by applying for STNI now, it may speed up the
    > application! I also have a job offer and could therefore start
    > working straight away! [ I am a 'Hairdresser'] We really are so
    > desperate to get to oz!, so we're hoping this will help!!
    > Can anyone please tell me:
    >a] How long does it take for the decision to be made with STNI? I have
    > read 12 weeks, but i'm hoping it will be sooner!
    >b] Will STNI speed up my application? and if so, by how much, roughly?
    > Any info on this will be much appreciated! I would also love to hear
    > from anyone who has also applied for STNI a 'bit late in the day' as
    > far as their DIMIA application goes! to see how they got on! as it
    > seems most people apply for this from the start!
    >Hope to hear soon!
    >Cheers!
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 23rd 2002, 10:52 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE: Advice on STNI?

Hello Poggle.

The time taken in Melbourne depends on when your application finds itself in front of the panel making the decision as to whether or not to agree to nominate you => if your application for State nomination is submitted just before the list goes to the panel you might have a decision in 4 weeks.

By contrast, if your application just misses the meeting of the nomination panel then 10 to 12 weeks is nearer the mark.

Once approved your application moves from sub-class 136 to a 137-STNI. The expected processing time through Adelaide should then be about 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by poggle:
Hi All!

I have just applied for STNI to Vic Gov. We plan on settling in Melbourne, as we have family there.
My application for PR on skilled ind. was lodged at Adelaide in May this year. Dont know why we didnt think of it before, but, as my occupation is on Vic gov's MODL as well as DIMIA's one, Ive just thought that by applying for STNI now, it may speed up the application! I also have a job offer and could therefore start working straight away! [ I am a 'Hairdresser'] We really are so desperate to get to oz!, so we're hoping this will help!!

Can anyone please tell me:

a] How long does it take for the decision to be made with STNI? I have read 12 weeks, but i'm hoping it will be sooner!

b] Will STNI speed up my application? and if so, by how much, roughly?

Any info on this will be much appreciated! I would also love to hear from anyone who has also applied for STNI a 'bit late in the day' as far as their DIMIA application goes! to see how they got on! as it seems most people apply for this from the start!

Hope to hear soon!

Cheers!
Old Sep 24th 2002, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Hello Alan!

Thanks again for your Help, as always!

The Q. i asked about the 'twelve weeks' is now a bit clearer.

If you think that the processing time from when/if they decide to accept us will be about 6 mths, im wondering now whether it will be better in the long run to not go for STNI and leave my application in Adelaide as it is???Im waiting for a reply to an email i sent to the STNI office, so i think when i receive that, it might help in deciding what to do.

Best wishes

cheers!
Old Sep 25th 2002, 1:47 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again Poggle.

I probably wasn't clear in my original posting - the 6 months processing time is what I would expect if you were submitting a visa application with the State Nomination already obtained.

If you obtain a State Nomination after the visa application has been submitted (which I think is your situation) the processing of your visa application should then be prioritised, leading to the accelerated processing of your application - the overall processing time from submission of the application to visa grant would depend on when DIMIA is advised of the State Nomination.

So in summary I'd continue with a State Nomination application, with DIMIA to be advised as and when you are approved.

Does this help?

Originally posted by poggle:
Hello Alan!

Thanks again for your Help, as always!

The Q. i asked about the 'twelve weeks' is now a bit clearer.

If you think that the processing time from when/if they decide to accept us will be about 6 mths, im wondering now whether it will be better in the long run to not go for STNI and leave my application in Adelaide as it is???Im waiting for a reply to an email i sent to the STNI office, so i think when i receive that, it might help in deciding what to do.

Best wishes

cheers!
Old Sep 25th 2002, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: RE: Advice on STNI?

so in summary id continue with State Nominationapplication, with DIMIA to be advised as and when you are approved.

Does this help?

Hi Alan!

Thanks again!! Yes thats been v.helpful! I have received the STNI forms, got them filled in and got C.V. and stuff together and sent it all off today!

So now its down to yet another 'waiting game'!! but even if it the STNI gets us to Melbourne a day earlier than DIMIA alone, it would have been worth it!!

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Cheers
Old Oct 1st 2002, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Hello Poggle.

The time taken in Melbourne depends on when your application finds itself in front of the panel making the decision as to whether or not to agree to nominate you => if your application for State nomination is submitted just before the list goes to the panel you might have a decision in 4 weeks.

By contrast, if your application just misses the meeting of the nomination panel then 10 to 12 weeks is nearer the mark.

Once approved your application moves from sub-class 136 to a 137-STNI. The expected processing time through Adelaide should then be about 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Hi Alan, could you tell me please if I got a visa through STNI then after six months of living in a designatied area I wasn`t happy and wanted to move somewhere else would I risk having my visa revoked? How strict is this stipulation?
Thanks Marlo

Old Oct 1st 2002, 11:39 am
Migration Agent

Hello Marlo.

I wouldn't use the phrase "Designated Area" as it has a specific meaning in the context of other visa categories.

However, in answer to your question, in my view the key issue is to be genuine in your intent to settle in the State that is nominating you for the STNI visa. Indeed, in applying for a State Nomination you will be expected to sign an undertaking to settle in the State.

If you ultimately decide not to settle in the nominating State there is (presently) no sanction whereby the STNI visa can be cancelled, unless it can be shown that you never had the intention to settle in the nominating State.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Marlo:

Hi Alan, could you tell me please if I got a visa through STNI then after six months of living in a designatied area I wasn`t happy and wanted to move somewhere else would I risk having my visa revoked? How strict is this stipulation?
Thanks Marlo

Old Oct 1st 2002, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Hello Marlo.

I wouldn't use the phrase "Designated Area" as it has a specific meaning in the context of other visa categories.

However, in answer to your question, in my view the key issue is to be genuine in your intent to settle in the State that is nominating you for the STNI visa. Indeed, in applying for a State Nomination you will be expected to sign an undertaking to settle in the State.

If you ultimately decide not to settle in the nominating State there is (presently) no sanction whereby the STNI visa can be cancelled, unless it can be shown that you never had the intention to settle in the nominating State.

Hope this helps.

Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply, our intention is to live and work in Melbourne but as you know for whatever reason situations may change and we may want to live elsewhere, though that certainly isn`t what we intend to do, we don`t want to keep uprooting, it`s just if that`s all really, we want to know where we stand.
Thanks again
Marlo