Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RBA BOSS BOMBSHELL ON OZ ECONOMY

RBA BOSS BOMBSHELL ON OZ ECONOMY

Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RBA BOSS BOMBSHELL ON OZ ECONOMY

Interestingly 50% of the $3 billion raised last month by the NAB is to be sent to the UK and pumped into subsidiary Clydesdale Bank.

The idea being that it can then raise money under the UK Government's scheme to bail out its troubled banking sector
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:33 pm

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Thanks. And yes, that's the same bank.... but it's swings and roundabouts with all banks... and he wasn't actually giving advice, just talking about the economy.
I understand the lag... but with immigration at an all time high here, the lack of housing here, the tight rental market... I think that Krudd is right when he says Aus may just stave off a recession.
I have always maintained though, that Australia's lack of internal manufacturing will be the death of it though. Got to stop importing all the raw materials when it's already here. It's such a short sighted mentality.

I don't see that we have an option other than to ignore it and carry on doing what we do. I too am sick of the 'spend spend spend' mentality. My first priority is to be making enough money to support myself and my children and be debt free, like you say. I get a bit of Krudd's money in the big payout... About 30% will be saving much of it... I'll be doing just that.
No worries – I mean it. I agree that everybody needs to go on doing their thing, although I fairly certain there will be a recession. Not trying to be negative or aussie-bashing, just pragmatic in that I think we all have a simple choice.

Either the country (and the world) accept that the extent of leverage and debt is way to high to sustain a happy functioning society that works to the benefit of the majority, and we take the hit – now – regardless of how much that notion might scare us.

Or we over-borrow, increase the money supply, promote negative real rates that punish savers and reward those in debt, re-inflate and put off the day of reckoning. That’s what the current course of action is doing. It’s simply taking money from all the successful, prudent people and business (of which there are still loads), giving it to those who aren’t and allowing them to compete on the same grounds, when in reality they are insolvent and should be allowed to fail. It’s completely contradictory with our own notions of the free market.

Personally, I’d rather we dealt with it today than passing the buck onto another generation – like my kids (one day). I think that's both unfair and non-sensical.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that we have an option other than to ignore it and carry on doing what we do. I too am sick of the 'spend spend spend' mentality. My first priority is to be making enough money to support myself and my children and be debt free, like you say. I get a bit of Krudd's money in the big payout... About 30% will be saving much of it... I'll be doing just that.
That's right. We can either dig in and knuckle down and get on with life, or we can curl up under a bush and die.

It would be wrong to put your life on hold until this 'mess' is sorted out.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Catch
WA will be ok i dont think Rob druitt reads the Herald sun
WA will not be ok in the slightest, I beleive after the auto making states it will be the hardest hit due to the massive slowdown in mining. A few months ago on here there were certain posters arguing how the mining boom would never end, it ended in just 1 week in November. The future outlay for capital works has just about stopped, Rio Tinto set to axe 14000 jobs worldwide, they employ about 90000, 15000 in WA. This along with all the other smaller miners going to the wall - Perth is going to be hammered next year and housing falls will accelerate
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:14 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savanna454
Interestingly 50% of the $3 billion raised last month by the NAB is to be sent to the UK and pumped into subsidiary Clydesdale Bank...
No surprise there... When I was back in the UK in 2006 I was offered a deal by Clydesdale whereby they lent 90% against property redevelopment for a low interest rate, but a share of the action... Fair amount of those deals are sure to have gone wrong...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:25 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
WA will not be ok in the slightest, I beleive after the auto making states it will be the hardest hit due to the massive slowdown in mining. A few months ago on here there were certain posters arguing how the mining boom would never end, it ended in just 1 week in November. The future outlay for capital works has just about stopped, Rio Tinto set to axe 14000 jobs worldwide, they employ about 90000, 15000 in WA. This along with all the other smaller miners going to the wall - Perth is going to be hammered next year and housing falls will accelerate
I think Catch was being tongue in cheek
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I think Catch was being tongue in cheek
so he was....
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
WA will not be ok in the slightest, I beleive after the auto making states it will be the hardest hit due to the massive slowdown in mining. A few months ago on here there were certain posters arguing how the mining boom would never end, it ended in just 1 week in November...................
Think Catch was joking but agree with your comments

Wonder where all those mining optimists are?

BHP iron ore shipments have fallen to a 9 month low and Merrill Lynch are predicting they will need to cut output by 25% in 2009

Shan Shanghua secretary to the China Iron and Steel Association has told Bloomberg that Chinese steelmakers will be seeking an 82% price cut in iron ore 'contract' prices as steel prices hit a 14 year low

[I thought 'contract' = agreed price?]

Bluescope Steel shares were suspended yesterday as it tries to raise $300 million..........

To think that Rio now $33 was around $160/share at the height of the BHP bid - how the mighty have fallen!

And so it goes on..........