Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR to Citizen - timing questions

PR to Citizen - timing questions

Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:56 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR to Citizen - timing questions

I became PR on 11 Sep 2008 but have been in Australia lawfully for almost 5 years before that on a 457 visa. I believe that means I can become a Citizen on 12 Sep 2009.

My wife is a PT student at UQ and as PR we pay course fees in advance. Once a Citizen (and able to demonstrate that to the Uni) she will be able to access HECS and thus defer the course fees until employed.

I am trying to establish the earliest likely time that we can demonstrate citizenship and so have the following questions from those experienced in these matters.

1) can I sit the citizenship test NOW so that I have passed well before Sep 2009?

2) what is the earliest date I can submit my Citizenship application, i.e. is it 11 Sep 2009 or can I submit in advance of that?

3) follwowing successful application, is the first "proof" of citizenship only avalaibale after the citizenship ceremony?

4) roughly what is the lead time between application for citizenship and the ceremony and receipt of "proof"?

The Uni istelf applies what they call a CENSUS DATE which is the point in time that determines what your fees are, i.e. if citizen before that date then HECS, if not then pay up. This affects the amount of courses that my wife does per semester (since they are currently $1850 each) and the timing of when she will be able (to afford) to go full time so any help is gratefully received.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:09 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR to Citizen - timing questions

Hi,

1. Yes, you can sit the test now but you may have to resubmit photos (certified) if it's more than 6 months before you submit the application.

2. 11 Sep 2009 is the earliest you can submit (or maybe a few days earlier if you post it - but as soon as they look at it you need to be eligible or it will be rejected)

3. Yes - you are NOT a citizen until you take the oath at the ceremony

4. Depends - some people can get through the whole lot in a few weeks but the range is usually 3 - 6 months - you get the certificate on the day of the ceremony and this is your proof.

I applied on 29 October 2008 and still haven't heard..... I'm hoping for a 26 Jan Ceremony so that would be 3 months. As a former student of UQ, I would expect (knowing that Brisbane Council run a Cit Cermony in November) that your wife would be a citizen from Summer Semester (Nov) 2009.

Good luck.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:13 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
Hi,

I applied on 29 October 2008 and still haven't heard..... I'm hoping for a 26 Jan Ceremony so that would be 3 months. As a former student of UQ, I would expect (knowing that Brisbane Council run a Cit Cermony in November) that your wife would be a citizen from Summer Semester (Nov) 2009.

Good luck.
Cool , thanks a lot.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:25 pm
Karma Comedian

As a former student of UQ, I would expect (knowing that Brisbane Council run a Cit Cermony in November) that your wife would be a citizen from Summer Semester (Nov) 2009.

Good luck.
Presumbaly as a former UQ student, but non-citizen, you were also paying course fees in advance?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the test like, anyone done it?
just curious what sort of questions are asked, is it

Do you love australian football?
Do you like bbq?
Do you like the beach?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:42 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by dave99
Whats the test like, anyone done it?
just curious what sort of questions are asked, is it

Do you love australian football?
Do you like bbq?
Do you like the beach?
How many beers should a man take to an afternoon BBQ?
a) six pack of gold
b) none, you are drinking wine
c) 24

Answer C)

Who should a bloke talk to at a BBQ?
a) the men and women
b) the women
c) the men

Answer c)

What should a man talk about at a BBQ?
a) sport
b) beer
c) his lawn mower
d) all of the above

Answer d)

How many sausages are required at a BBQ of six adults and 5 children?
a) 3 per adult and 2 per child
b) 3 each
c) ask the wife, your job is just to cook them

Answer c)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I was on scholarship so not paying any fees - thankfully or I'd be in the poor house...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
Hi Mate,

Did you try the direct dial DIAC number I pm'd you? They can tell you when you are lined up for a ceremony.

Details for those attending the Aus day ceremony will be mailed out starting this week.

B
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:58 am
Addicted to browsing BE

I still haven't heard if my Citizenship is approved! I hope it will be shortly and then I will be dialling them! Thanks for the number it's very useful!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
How many beers should a man take to an afternoon BBQ?
a) six pack of gold
b) none, you are drinking wine
c) 24

Answer C)

Who should a bloke talk to at a BBQ?
a) the men and women
b) the women
c) the men

Answer c)

What should a man talk about at a BBQ?
a) sport
b) beer
c) his lawn mower
d) all of the above

Answer d)

How many sausages are required at a BBQ of six adults and 5 children?
a) 3 per adult and 2 per child
b) 3 each
c) ask the wife, your job is just to cook them

Answer c)
You forgot the Don Bradman question...
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:51 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Hi,

1. Yes, you can sit the test now but you may have to resubmit photos (certified) if it's more than 6 months before you submit the application.
If you do it early you will need to resubmit new photgraphs at the time of application if 6 months have passed after your test. The photos have to be witnessed and signed by someone who has known you for 12 months, who is not familiy.