Reload this Page >

A rant about house prices, WA

A rant about house prices, WA

Old May 24th 2006, 8:05 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A rant about house prices, WA

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Thanks mate, I couldn't agree with you more.

Let's look at some examples from South Australia:
[list][*]3x1 with double garage, 10 km from Adelaide as the crow flies: $230,000

Some of those look very nice.

I've found a house up here, which has 5 beds, and needs cosmetic work. Been on the market for a year or more at $299.
I'm going to see it tomorrow. It needs a new kitchen but at 5 beds it'd be worth buying, doing up and living in. Kerching!
Old May 24th 2006, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich

House and Land for $6000, for the pom wanting a bit of adventure

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...a&fmt=&header=

ROFLMAO! I'd knock it down and start again, but for that tiny amount of money for the land, why not?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The problem is everyone in aus wants to cram into the same handful of tiny coastal bits and they cost a bomb. About three quarters of the population lives in what 6 small cities and surrounds no wonder its expensive.
Yep.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We're lucky in that we will have about £100,000 to bring with us from the sale of our property. I think without that we would struggle alot. I hope that we will be OK when we get there but as we are only just starting out with the TRA I think we've got a while to wait.

House prices are increasing all over the place. If we moved here, we'd struggle to pay the mortgage but if we don't give it a try and move to Oz, I think we'd always regret not giving it a try. We are looking at moving to somewhere near Brisbane but don't want to be too close to the city.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:34 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

There are still lots of places around for under $350k try searching realestate.com for areas around Beechboro, Ballajura, Caversham, Forrestfield, Merriwa, Clarkson, Mirrabooka or wanneroo, or is you prefer south try Warnbro, Waikiki or Rockingham

Lynn
Old May 24th 2006, 8:39 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Or for those who would look outside of Perth how about Bunbury, Australind or Pinjarra. As far as i'm aware Pinjarra is pegged for some development shortly and employment oppertunities should be good. Infact the whole Peel region as a whole is probably worth looking at, there is far more to WA than the Perth metro area.

Lynn
Old May 24th 2006, 9:19 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Exactly!

And yet, these sorts of properties do get sold - even if it takes six months or more and a couple of price deductions before they are finally shifted.

So the buyers are definitely out there... somewhere.

But I have to say - I look at property in the local newspaper these days, and I seriously wonder what some of these people are smoking. In the West Midlands particularly, people seem to have an alarmingly high tolerance for low-quality real estate at exorbitant prices.

BTW, I heard on Radio 1 yesterday that a recent study identifies Walsall as the most dangerous/violent town in the West Midlands; apparently it has the highest rate of violent crime, or something. Go Walsall!
Hi vash ,this debate about property prices has been seen many times there seems to me that a lot of time people just compare say a 4 bedroom house in say great barr or walsall to a 4 bed house in say butler [perth ],but in my eyes there isnt really a comparison as you have to way up infrastructure,shops ,closeness to pub life.I can only go by my own experience at the moment ,i can buy a bungalow in poole 2 miles from the sea with the same sized block as i have here and come out over 200000 dollars better off ,so in my eyes it is cheaper to buy in poole than perth especially within 5 ks of the city .So i think as someone has already said really its where you are coming from and going to ,if you are going from ascot to currambine of course you will feel better off but the amenities will be worse.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

How spooky - hubby and I were only worrying about this last night !!

We are coming to WA at the end of August with about £50,000 - this money will have to pay for everything including cars, etc. When we came over for a recki two and a half years ago, I kept all the house prices then and things have gone up dramatically.

Question is, are the online real estate prices accurate ? Are people actually getting what they want for their houses ? We are worried about house prices big time. We sold our UK home in April and, already, our old house is worth more than what our dosh in a savings account has risen by.

I have no intention of working in WA but hubby is a brickie so can basically work anywhere. We're after a place on a reasonable size plot in an area with good schools. My dream home is 4 x 2 with pool, but, for now, I'll be ok with a 2 x 1 on biggish plot so hubby can work on it to make it our dream home. If we have to go further north then so be it - as long as I'm near enough to civilisation for the kids not to hate me

We are worried, but can't do anything about it and can't make any decisions until we get there so there's really no point. I check out all the real estate sites daily and, recently, I've noticed that places are getting snapped up very quickly which isn't a good thing either as there's no time to think !

At the minute I'm trying to get a good exchange rate so my £'s can be as many $'s as possible.

Heather
Old May 24th 2006, 10:54 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
How spooky - hubby and I were only worrying about this last night !!

We are coming to WA at the end of August with about £50,000 - this money will have to pay for everything including cars, etc. When we came over for a recki two and a half years ago, I kept all the house prices then and things have gone up dramatically.

Question is, are the online real estate prices accurate ? Are people actually getting what they want for their houses ? We are worried about house prices big time. We sold our UK home in April and, already, our old house is worth more than what our dosh in a savings account has risen by.

I have no intention of working in WA but hubby is a brickie so can basically work anywhere. We're after a place on a reasonable size plot in an area with good schools. My dream home is 4 x 2 with pool, but, for now, I'll be ok with a 2 x 1 on biggish plot so hubby can work on it to make it our dream home. If we have to go further north then so be it - as long as I'm near enough to civilisation for the kids not to hate me

We are worried, but can't do anything about it and can't make any decisions until we get there so there's really no point. I check out all the real estate sites daily and, recently, I've noticed that places are getting snapped up very quickly which isn't a good thing either as there's no time to think !

At the minute I'm trying to get a good exchange rate so my £'s can be as many $'s as possible.

Heather
I think the problem with the real estate sites is that the price you see is not necessarily the price for which it is purchased, it`s difficult to really get an idea whilst still in the UK as a house may be advertised for $300,000 but go for $325000. FWIW we too will have about £40,000 but like you that will be paying for flights and removals etc so it won`t last long unless we watch every penny. We are now planning on getting rid of our old larger items of furniture and buying second hand once in Oz (it will be like going back 12 years or so for us to when we first set up home but we should be debt free and I`m reluctant to go back down that path of having credit card debt etc around our neck) The mortgage is another matter - it will all depend on where hubby gets work (no point being in a reasonable priced house that is 85kms away from his work). What I don`t understand is how people can now afford to buy a house to let when the rental would only be about $250 a week, yet the mortgage payments would be so much more
Old May 24th 2006, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
IWhat I don`t understand is how people can now afford to buy a house to let when the rental would only be about $250 a week, yet the mortgage payments would be so much more

I think that's something to do with tax relief... my MIL had a unit to let out and seemed to be happy paying the mortgage, because it shifted her tax somehow and she was better off.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:59 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iPom
I think that's something to do with tax relief... my MIL had a unit to let out and seemed to be happy paying the mortgage, because it shifted her tax somehow and she was better off.
They call it negative gearing .
Old May 24th 2006, 11:03 am
Banned

If i was coming to australia now i would head brizzy or adelaide or the outskirts of melbourne as perth is so bloody xpensive and unless your flogging a house in the home counties you will find to a certain degree the house prices comparable to the uk
Old May 24th 2006, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sassenach
They call it negative gearing .

Really? What a funny expression. Thanks!
Old May 24th 2006, 11:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iPom
Really? What a funny expression. Thanks!
Its quite a good system really you can just offset all the expenses etc of the unit against your personal income tax ,so effectively over time the governent has paid for it .Its ideal for high wage earners who wodge out copious amounts readies to our beloved treasurer

Last edited by sassenach; May 24th 2006 at 11:38 am.
Old May 24th 2006, 11:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I think the problem with the real estate sites is that the price you see is not necessarily the price for which it is purchased, it`s difficult to really get an idea whilst still in the UK as a house may be advertised for $300,000 but go for $325000. FWIW we too will have about £40,000 but like you that will be paying for flights and removals etc so it won`t last long unless we watch every penny. We are now planning on getting rid of our old larger items of furniture and buying second hand once in Oz (it will be like going back 12 years or so for us to when we first set up home but we should be debt free and I`m reluctant to go back down that path of having credit card debt etc around our neck) The mortgage is another matter - it will all depend on where hubby gets work (no point being in a reasonable priced house that is 85kms away from his work). What I don`t understand is how people can now afford to buy a house to let when the rental would only be about $250 a week, yet the mortgage payments would be so much more
i know certainly in perth you might as well totally disregard the web sites as the houses in a lot of cases are going for more ,over east i believe it is a different story and are going for sometimes a lot less than the advertised price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.