Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A rant about house prices, WA

A rant about house prices, WA

Old May 26th 2006, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: A rant about house prices, WA

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I haven't. I've only driven through it or stopped at a shop or petrol station. It's definitely one of the roughest areas of Perth although there are some nice streets. All the signs are that it is going to boom there. It's got a train station & I think there is a lot of investment planned.

Watch this space. The other area to consider is Midland, big plans are afoot for there too & the median house price is currently about $300k. It's also got a train station with express trains into Perth taking about 15 minutes.
Yep, you're right. Armadale and Gosnells are in the midst of major investment to upgrade the public amenities of the town centres. Thus more, there are a number of new land developments in Seville Grove and south armadale. In gosnells its similar but also, there are lots of smaller 1000 -2000sqm blocks being subdivided.

I think it will be a wee while before the stigma of being seen as rough areas is removed.

House prices in those areas have risen sharply recently so anything under $300k will be hard to find there too.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Armadale. I wouldn't live there, no way. It's rough.

The Armadale train line is known as the one to avoid at night because of all the scum causing trouble.
Agree it's rough now, but will it be rough in 10 years? Who knows. Look at some of the areas in London that are now trendy, Clapham, Battersea, Islington, Fulham. 20-25 years ago you would only live in some of these areas if you had a death wish now they have GBP1m+ properties.

It takes nerves of steel to put money into Armadale but it could end up as a shrewd investment.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:58 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A rant about house prices, WA

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree it's rough now, but will it be rough in 10 years? Who knows. Look at some of the areas in London that are now trendy, Clapham, Battersea, Islington, Fulham. 20-25 years ago you would only live in some of these areas if you had a death wish now they have GBP1m+ properties.

It takes nerves of steel to put money into Armadale but it could end up as a shrewd investment.
Well said.

Most British ex-pats will not know this, but way back in the 60s, Subiaco used to be a rough "working class" area filled with migrants (often Italians) who couldn't afford any better.

And look at it now...
Old May 26th 2006, 10:14 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Brother's ex lives in Gosnells, so i've been there. He's recommending Armadale as an upcoming place, particularly with the investment in the town centre. He's pointed out areas to definately avoid - Armadale wasn't exactly Mount Pleasant, but neither he nor his ex labelled it as the worst area.

A lot of this is relative anyway. I could give you a long list of estates to avoid in Northants, but i was born and bred on one of them, and rented a council house on another (and Ann had one on yet another).

Cheers
Karl
Old May 26th 2006, 4:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A rant about house prices, WA

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Brother's ex lives in Gosnells, so i've been there. He's recommending Armadale as an upcoming place, particularly with the investment in the town centre. He's pointed out areas to definately avoid - Armadale wasn't exactly Mount Pleasant, but neither he nor his ex labelled it as the worst area.

A lot of this is relative anyway. I could give you a long list of estates to avoid in Northants, but i was born and bred on one of them, and rented a council house on another (and Ann had one on yet another).

Cheers
Karl
For those who might be seeking an Armadale substitute in a similar or nearby location, I can recommend Forrestdale.

I've got a few mates out that way, and always enjoyed visiting them; Forrestdale has loads and loads of wide-open spaces, with green fields and trees as far as the eye can see and virtually no traffic to disturb the serenity!

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 26th 2006 at 4:44 pm.
Old May 26th 2006, 7:08 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
For those who might be seeking an Armadale substitute in a similar or nearby location, I can recommend Forrestdale.
Excellent! Any more hidden gems, anyone?

Karl
Old May 26th 2006, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Hi guys - not been here for a while. But should be in Perth very soon now.

Evening Vash!

Looks like I'll be moving to a 4x2 new build in Canning Vale - it's the MIL's so not mine.
I don't think I'll be able to afford anything in Perth Metro for a long time.

What are the prospects like down Bunbury way?

How rough is rough in comparison to the UK? Are we talking high crime/vandalisation/being mugged/stabbed/robbed/grannies stay at home rough?

Last edited by Leeds_to_Perth; May 26th 2006 at 8:48 pm.
Old May 26th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

I think I mentioned this before - I currently work in real estate in the Uk.
I am involved in CityLiving - the new craze of aparmtment living that is sweeping most major city centres in the UK.
I've been doing some research and it looks like Perth is about to go the same way with lots of mid rise (high rise for the UK ) in planning (10-15 storey blocks).
It seems to me like every englishman moving to Aus wants the 4x2 on a big plot, but are the locals moving more towards the convenience of living in the CBD/Riverside/Beach side locations?

The problem we have in the UK is the current lack of infrastructure (grocery shops/doctors/creche/dentist) to support the massive build programs going on.
If anybody knows - what is Perth CBD like for this?
Old May 26th 2006, 9:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth

How rough is rough in comparison to the UK? Are we talking high crime/vandalisation/being mugged/stabbed/robbed/grannies stay at home rough?
Nah

they are all angels in Perth

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1245,00.html

G
Old May 26th 2006, 10:04 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I've got a few mates out that way, and always enjoyed visiting them; Forrestdale has loads and loads of wide-open spaces, with green fields and trees as far as the eye can see and virtually no traffic to disturb the serenity!
I'll second that. I've a mate there, it's lovely.