Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Railway workers, assemble!

Railway workers, assemble!

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

TonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really nice
Default Railway workers, assemble!

Hiya guys and gals.

I'm very very interested in moving to Oz at some point very soon, just wondering if there are any railway workers on here.

Currently I'm in the final year of an S&T apprenticeship with Network Rail, where I'll qualify with the qualifications to be a grade 3 but with some qualifications that are Tech Officer specific (RRI).

I would absolutely love to move to Oz but I'd like to hear from anyone who's emigrated and works out on the track: S&T, P'Way, E&P or even in the office about what it's like out there. Just your general comments and anything you'd like to share, e.g. finding work, conditions, what it's like living in Oz, what the food is like (random I know), any hints or tips, where you live and what it's like, absolutely anything at all

Last edited by TonyLJones; Nov 23rd 2010 at 2:35 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Railway workers, assemble!

Originally Posted by TonyLJones
Hiya guys and gals.

I'm very very interested in moving to Oz at some point very soon, just wondering if there are any railway workers on here.

Currently I'm in the final year of an S&T apprenticeship with Network Rail, where I'll qualify with the qualifications to be a grade 3 but with some qualifications that are Tech Officer specific (RRI).

I would absolutely love to move to Oz but I'd like to hear from anyone who's emigrated and works out on the track: S&T, P'Way, E&P or even in the office about what it's like out there. Just your general comments and anything you'd like to share, e.g. finding work, conditions, what it's like living in Oz, what the food is like (random I know), any hints or tips, where you live and what it's like, absolutely anything at all
I'm currently a Track Project engineer with Network Rail with 15 years experience, I'm heading to Brisbane in February. Best bet is to get on to www.railwaypeople.com and have a look. Set up a search to give you a daily email when any suitable jobs come up.

I'd imagine as an S&T guy based in the field your best bet would be with the operating/maintenance companies.

Try Westnet (Western Australia / Perth area), Queensland Rail (queensland/Brisbane), Metrotrains (Melbourne) and Railcorp (New South Wales / Sydney).

All usually have vacancies on their website
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

TonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really niceTonyLJones is just really nice
Default Re: Railway workers, assemble!

Hello there, sorry for the long delay in replying/keeping up with this thread.

How did the move go Bob? How are you finding living and working in Oz?

I hear Australia is implementing ECTS signalling eventually. This sounds a bit exciting as I'm currently working on the Cambrian line in Wales which is going at full Level 2 ERMTS (Which is ECTS and GSM-R together).

I do have a couple of issues though, in the fact that although I am a hair width away from finishing my apprenticeship, my time out on track doesn't officially start until I get my S&T contract, so the 2 years of track time don't count and my competencies will be staring from zero (as will my IRSE licence).

I guess any advice will be along the lines of "Get your competencies, IRSE and SMTH paperwork, along with some experience on track."

But enough about that, I'd love to hear how you're getting on, Bob