Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rachel has just been for Henry's kindy interview.

Rachel has just been for Henry's kindy interview.

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:13 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rachel has just been for Henry's kindy interview.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When we lived in NSW, the Kindergarten year was the same as the UK reception, the year immediately before year 1. Full time and homework included !

The private christian schools can actually be worth looking at. I never was one for Christian anything, church, schools etc. But some of these schools do not seem to be really religious at all. We had more RE lessons at school in UK than some of these do
Did have a look ABC, but the web sites are all "bringing christ into childrens lives" and "moving forward with christ" and such. It's bad enough that the primary school he was allotted here in the UK takes 'em all off to the church every Wednesday morning for some early years brainwashing - no way I want that to carry on in Oz.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Did have a look ABC, but the web sites are all "bringing christ into childrens lives" and "moving forward with christ" and such. It's bad enough that the primary school he was allotted here in the UK takes 'em all off to the church every Wednesday morning for some early years brainwashing - no way I want that to carry on in Oz.

If I were restricted to only sending my kids to school here in Coburg, (thank god for surrounding suburbs) I would be quite happy to send my Kids to a Catholic school.

We actually looked into it, and although on the surface they look indoctrinating, it turns out in reality that they aren't.

Trouble is Hutch, you've only got word of mouth to tell you this.

here is why the main school around this particular area shutdown....

We keep this thing quiet in Melbourne, and deal with it.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storylhs

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 3rd 2006 at 2:25 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:15 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
the teacher is 6? bloody hell!

Karma for that!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If I were restricted to only sending my kids to school here in Coburg, (thank god for surrounding suburbs) I would be quite happy to send my Kids to a Catholic school.

We actually looked into it, and although on the surface they look indoctrinating, it turns out in reality that they aren't.

Trouble is Hutch, you've only got word of mouth to tell you this.

here is why the main school around this particular area shutdown....

We keep this thing quiet in Melbourne, and deal with it.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storylhs
There's an element of truth in this. The school is marketing itself. Most are quite normal. The kids might do 2 hrs of RE a week rather than none, and some of the assemblies might have a poor sod of a teacher trying to link a story in to Christian teaching whilst all his mates have a good smirk ....eg " I was walking along the beach and it was sunny, and it reminded me abit of John chp 2 v3 because God created this, and God said that..."
Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be really careful with religious schools. Some schools calling themselves 'Christian' can have a seriously evangelical bent that is rather scary and you'd probably want to avoid them if you're not really religous yourself (I've even seen maths text books with a little Christian message on each page). A lot of these schools are small and seem to be in country areas.

Schools associated with more mainstream churches are usually far less extreme. My kids went to an anglican primary school which was no more or less religious than the school I attended in the UK. They then went to a supposedly Presbyterian High school - but there are so many kids from other religions and backgrounds there, that really they only pay lip-service to the religion and it's not the slightest bit extreme.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

fraser i think you are great

ps. i feel really sic
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
fraser i think you are great

ps. i feel really sic
Thanks

I can't wait until tomorrow
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
You have to be really careful with religious schools. Some schools calling themselves 'Christian' can have a seriously evangelical bent that is rather scary and you'd probably want to avoid them if you're not really religous yourself (I've even seen maths text books with a little Christian message on each page). A lot of these schools are small and seem to be in country areas.

Schools associated with more mainstream churches are usually far less extreme. My kids went to an anglican primary school which was no more or less religious than the school I attended in the UK. They then went to a supposedly Presbyterian High school - but there are so many kids from other religions and backgrounds there, that really they only pay lip-service to the religion and it's not the slightest bit extreme.

My sister went to a catholic school, a very strict one. They had similar brainwashing techniques.

She did however, get expelled for sawing the legs off the piano and asking the nun if she was a virgin.

Then by the time I got there, they worked doubly hard to get me to be a good catholic girl by sending a priest to my house.

But I know all about those little hidden messages.