Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship question... proof of id

Citizenship question... proof of id

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:01 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future
Default Citizenship question... proof of id

Well, I've had the PR and lived here for over 2 years, and I can now apply to be an Aus citizen. Yaay!

The only concern is the "proof of identity" form (1195) where you have to have your photograph witnessed by someone who has known you for over a year, and who works in a select list of occupations. Unfortunately, I don't hang out much with dentists, sherriffs and veterinary surgeons and as I've moved around a bit as well, this is going to be quite hard for me to do.

Has anyone else had this experience? Just wondering how tight they are about this "proof of id" thing and if you can use someone who has known you for a shorter period than a year, or if you can bypass it entirely?

Budgie
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Citizenship question... proof of id

Originally Posted by Budgie
Well, I've had the PR and lived here for over 2 years, and I can now apply to be an Aus citizen. Yaay!

The only concern is the "proof of identity" form (1195) where you have to have your photograph witnessed by someone who has known you for over a year, and who works in a select list of occupations. Unfortunately, I don't hang out much with dentists, sherriffs and veterinary surgeons and as I've moved around a bit as well, this is going to be quite hard for me to do.

Has anyone else had this experience? Just wondering how tight they are about this "proof of id" thing and if you can use someone who has known you for a shorter period than a year, or if you can bypass it entirely?

Budgie
ring 131880 and ask for help (bottom right column page 1)

For most people, it is worth:

Seeing a Doctor in your first year
or
Visit the Dentist in the first year
or
If you have Kids, see the teacher on the first day of school

Try to avoid the following, but still valid, options:
Judge
Bailiff
Sheriff

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The only concern is the "proof of identity" form (1195) where you have to have your photograph witnessed by someone who has known you for over a year, and who works in a select list of occupations.
It's quite a long list of occupations (at least as per the list on form 124). Is there nobody at your place of employment who falls into one of the groups?

Jeremy
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:09 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's quite a long list of occupations (at least as per the list on form 124). Is there nobody at your place of employment who falls into one of the groups?

Jeremy
Unfortunately not - I've only been working for the last 7 months (Sydney) and was in Queensland before then (not working) so that's where the problem lies!

Guess it makes sense to give them a ring and see what they say, though!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:18 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Budgie
I'm starting to wonder the same thing.
Does it stipulate the time frame that they have had to know you?
Can you get someone in the UK to witness the photos who fits the criteria?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:22 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Budgie
My Question is why the hell govt needs this now...
Cmon you have been a good Resident w/o any black mark isn't that enough?
Whats the rational for this stupidity?
If asked I shall go w/o that.....................
Old Feb 4th 2006, 7:15 am
Feathered Member

Originally Posted by gedge
I'm starting to wonder the same thing.
Does it stipulate the time frame that they have had to know you?
Can you get someone in the UK to witness the photos who fits the criteria?
It has to be a year. And it doesn't say anything about where that person lives, so it could be someone in the UK, as long as they are an Australian Citizen. However, I think the easiest category of person to choose (well, I managed to finally find one in that category, anyway, so it was easiest for me!) is "Category 22 - Public Servant". This seems to be anyone who works for the government in any respect. Luckily, I know someone who works for Main Roads so got them to sign for me. Problem solved!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 7:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
My Question is why the hell govt needs this now...
Cmon you have been a good Resident w/o any black mark isn't that enough?
Whats the rational for this stupidity?
If asked I shall go w/o that.....................
It may be to try to stop other people stealing someones identity.

Without something like that, some people would find it very easy to get a passport in YOUR name.

Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It may be to try to stop other people stealing someones identity.

Without something like that, some people would find it very easy to get a passport in YOUR name.
What about an accountant ?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
What about an accountant ?
They are number 1 on the list, as long as they are qualifed.