Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

Old May 7th 2013, 1:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Kind of why I suggested the training market. The teaching skills are valid and the area is adjacent - I'd suggest 'customer focus' as an area, which seems virtually missing from the Australian mindset.
If it's 'missing from the Australian mindset' - then there won't be any jobs going, will there?
Old May 7th 2013, 11:02 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Some brilliant suggestions thanks people! Not feeling so hot today, so this is my first sick day this academic year, and the guilt that comes with taking a day off in teaching, well, unless you're a teacher, it's hard to explain. The irony of it all? I received a letter from Ed Qld yesterday telling me that I'm now eligible, after 3 years full-time on contracts, to get permanency! OMFG! LOL
Old May 8th 2013, 3:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Is TAFE so wildly different? Are there any skills you could use to teach there? My neighbour is a TAFE teacher and is always off!! No stress during holidays and its definately a 9-5 job for him.
Otherwise what Swervo suggested, Technical Writer is a good inroad to varying businesses...just do NOT get involved in Tender work as that becomes stupid hours!!
Here are a couple of links which MAY be of use:
http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/abou...nistrative.htm
http://www.jobseeker.com.au/Communit...ueensland-jobs
http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/...port+Roles.htm
Old May 8th 2013, 4:34 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Is TAFE so wildly different? Are there any skills you could use to teach there? My neighbour is a TAFE teacher and is always off!! No stress during holidays and its definately a 9-5 job for him.
Otherwise what Swervo suggested, Technical Writer is a good inroad to varying businesses...just do NOT get involved in Tender work as that becomes stupid hours!!
Here are a couple of links which MAY be of use:
http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/abou...nistrative.htm
http://www.jobseeker.com.au/Communit...ueensland-jobs
http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/...port+Roles.htm
Thanks mate xo
Old May 8th 2013, 8:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Thanks mate xo
Admin jobs in Community Safety are like gold dust at present, be warned. If you do see one advertised, go for it, they all go on www.jobs.qld.gov.au but due to newman's axe there are very few around and most are only advertised internally at present due to the need to place existing staff.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

silly question....what exactly IS Community Safety? Its not like the CSO's back in UK is it? desk job/roaming?
Old May 9th 2013, 1:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

silly question....what exactly IS Community Safety? Its not like the CSO's back in UK is it? desk job/roaming?
There are lots of different job descriptions for Community Safety, depending on the organisation. The community safety team at the local govt. I work for perform a variety of functions - quick rundown:

Education - promoting personal safety and responsible citizenship, involves working with different local groups including schools, recently arrived migrants, youth, seniors and the wider community. Staff are often joined by a local police officer for workshops and presentations.

Information - residents can (and do) call in person or via telephone or email, to get advice on any issue relating to safety or criminal activity.

Crime prevention - working closely with local police, running an email and text system which alerts local residents to current criminal activity and providing an avenue for people to report crimes in their area.

Anti-graffiti - providing police with photographic and geographical evidence of graffiti, especially tagging, which can be used in court.

Working with local businesses to prevent break and enters, theft, and also to promote responsible selling (eg most local businesses in our area won't sell graffiti implements to under 18s).

Representation on State 'umbrella' community safety, crime prevention and emergency services groups.

Lots more but that's the gist. I think it's a great career as there's heaps of variety and the work is really satisfying because you're providing a service that makes a visible difference to people.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

cool...is it well paid??
Old May 9th 2013, 1:55 am
Concierge

cool...is it well paid??
Coordinator around 75k and worth every cent, he the star among my already steller team of Coordinators
Old May 9th 2013, 2:00 am
Concierge

ps - a good Coordinator can make the step up to local government management, especially if they take advantage of study leave provisions.
Old May 9th 2013, 5:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

oh......not much then
Old May 9th 2013, 7:47 am
Concierge

oh......not much then
That's what this particular role pays, it's impossible to give an indicative figure for a Community Safety role as the duties vary so widely. Just in WA local government, it can range from the role discussed above, to a work crew removing graffiti.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The link you posted - and which my previous answer refers to - is to the Qld Govt Dept of Community Safety - that used to be Emergency Services, and covers Queensland Fire & Rescue, Queensland Ambulance, and Emergency Management Queensland (which does disaster response and the SES)
Old May 10th 2013, 11:28 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

The Department of Community Safety was created in March 2009 and includes the Queensland Ambulance Service, the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service, Queensland Corrective Services and Emergency Management Queensland.

http://www.communitysafety.qld.gov.au/
Old May 10th 2013, 11:48 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
The Department of Community Safety was created in March 2009 and includes the Queensland Ambulance Service, the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service, Queensland Corrective Services and Emergency Management Queensland.

http://www.communitysafety.qld.gov.au/
Its the same department as the www.emergency etc link he posted himself earlier. Known as the Dept of Emergency Services up until 2009.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.