Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quilt on, Quilt off

Quilt on, Quilt off

Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quilt on, Quilt off

I am amazed at the vast changes in temp here. One day it can be 35 and the next 20 its amazing. We took our quilt off the bed 4 weeks ago and put it away and the next minute I was delving into the cupboard to find it. Now its quilt on ,quilt off, quilt on, quilt off (I feel a Karate Kid coming on). Then there the question of what to wear to work. Stand on the platform and feel very hot in suit. Take jacket off, train air con now I'm freezing coat on, walk from station to work coat back off, get to work air con freezing coat on and then again in reverse.

On the whole though the weather doesn't bother so much as in the UK although its pissed it down most of November so far.

Jo
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quilt on, Quilt off

Originally Posted by joho
I am amazed at the vast changes in temp here. One day it can be 35 and the next 20 its amazing. We took our quilt off the bed 4 weeks ago and put it away and the next minute I was delving into the cupboard to find it. Now its quilt on ,quilt off, quilt on, quilt off (I feel a Karate Kid coming on). Then there the question of what to wear to work. Stand on the platform and feel very hot in suit. Take jacket off, train air con now I'm freezing coat on, walk from station to work coat back off, get to work air con freezing coat on and then again in reverse.

On the whole though the weather doesn't bother so much as in the UK although its pissed it down most of November so far.

Jo
I am actually prefering the UK weather to the Melbourne weather!!

You can have 40 degs one day then the storm comes and you are back to 17. It will then climb up again until Yes another bleeding storm :scared:

I hope that this summer won't be as wet as the last. We never managed one party due to the unpredictabilty of it all.. Mind you the Autumn made up for it. For sure my favourite season

Wish I had enjoyed it more in the UK instead of wingeing about it
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
I live in south gloucestershire and we had a surprise 3 inches of snow monday evening right in the middle of rush hour. All the local main roads were shut - some people were stuck with their cars until gone midnight. School was shut so we had the great combination of six million things to do pre-flight and a four year old to entertain. Next morning, thanks to clear skies, the roads were completely frozen and since we don't live on a main road, were ungritted, so had to use five packets of cheapo Somerfield salt to proceed further with car. Black ice everywhere - cars skiding into each other. Road authorities blamed weathermen, weathermen blamed motorists, motorists blame road authorities. Such great fun ...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:59 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
What's a jacket?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I live in south gloucestershire and we had a surprise 3 inches of snow monday evening right in the middle of rush hour. All the local main roads were shut - some people were stuck with their cars until gone midnight. School was shut so we had the great combination of six million things to do pre-flight and a four year old to entertain. Next morning, thanks to clear skies, the roads were completely frozen and since we don't live on a main road, were ungritted, so had to use five packets of cheapo Somerfield salt to proceed further with car. Black ice everywhere - cars skiding into each other. Road authorities blamed weathermen, weathermen blamed motorists, motorists blame road authorities. Such great fun ...
I remeber this happening a couple of years ago in Rugby, whole place came to a standstill.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:18 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Jo
KWYM. We went mad and put our Xmas tree up on Sunday - inspired by our neighbours across the road who did the outside of their house, and we were sweating buckets while draping the tinsel. That was weird!!

Today, I was huddled over the toaster at lunchtime, warming my hands because I felt absolutely frozen. We had aircon put in yesterday too....although if this weather keeps up, I can't see us using it for a while!

Does it always ping-pong around with temperatures like this in WA? Or anywhere else in Oz, come to that? Not complaining exactly as I don't like the heat () but the constant variation is a bit confusing...

Sue