Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping to brisbane & Other Questions

Shipping to brisbane & Other Questions

Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Elka B has a spectacular aura aboutElka B has a spectacular aura aboutElka B has a spectacular aura about
Smile Shipping to brisbane & Other Questions

Hi Everybody,

I`ve only just discovered this site today and found the gold mine of info available. I still have a couple of questions though, maybe somebody out there can help.
My wife and i are moving to Brisbane in Feb 2006, there are still a few things for me to sort out.
I`m wondering if any of you guys can suggest a good moving company, i`ve heard Allied pickford mentioned a lot and I`ll ask those guys for a quote for sure. we are only moving a couple of T chest sized boxes and my bicycle.

My next undertaking will be for us to find a temporary (3 month) accomadation in South Brisbane whilst we find our bearings. If any of you have any tips about finding a flat to rent I`d sure appreciate it. Looking on the net they all seem quite expensive at about $500 pw, is thios the norm?

Any info at all will be great. I hope you guys don`t mind asking you again if I have some more questions. I`ll read the forums to see if any of them have already been answered first though.
thanks in advance.

Nick
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:08 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to brisbane & Other Questions

Originally Posted by Elka B
Hi Everybody,

I`ve only just discovered this site today and found the gold mine of info available. I still have a couple of questions though, maybe somebody out there can help.
My wife and i are moving to Brisbane in Feb 2006, there are still a few things for me to sort out.
I`m wondering if any of you guys can suggest a good moving company, i`ve heard Allied pickford mentioned a lot and I`ll ask those guys for a quote for sure. we are only moving a couple of T chest sized boxes and my bicycle.

My next undertaking will be for us to find a temporary (3 month) accomadation in South Brisbane whilst we find our bearings. If any of you have any tips about finding a flat to rent I`d sure appreciate it. Looking on the net they all seem quite expensive at about $500 pw, is thios the norm?

Any info at all will be great. I hope you guys don`t mind asking you again if I have some more questions. I`ll read the forums to see if any of them have already been answered first though.
thanks in advance.

Nick
Try doing a search for accomodation. Also have you tried... www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:54 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Can give advice re: shipping. We sent 3 t-chests via Sevenseas- excellent service so far (haven't arrived yet so cant say what condition they are in - due in next 2 weeks). Cost around £250 3 boxes of 40kg each.

Carindale Views (unfurnished townhouses/villas) will do a 3mth let at $335 a week for a 3mth contract. Nice complex but need to drive to train station. The manager Tom Bailey is v helpful.Also heard good things about Arthurs Homestay. Its just timing as to what is available. Holiday rentals are expensive and most will only do 6 mths lets in our experience.

Hope this helps,

Helen

Hi Everybody,

thanks in advance.

Nick
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Elka B has a spectacular aura aboutElka B has a spectacular aura aboutElka B has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your help guys,
I`ll Investigate this further.

Just another quick question:
Did any of you guys take any electrical equipment over to Australia. This sounds like a dumb question but does it work on the Australian power system. I`d like to take my games consoles over and a couple of other things.

Thanks

Nick
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nick
Nick, were the flats/units for $500/week furnished or unfurnished? Depending on where they are & whether they are suitable for habitation or not, it seems fairly reasonable for furnished, expensive for unfurnished.

Have you tried www.seqrents.com.au ? They sometimes do 3 month rentals. Unfortunately most of the ones on Realestate.com are unfurnished 6 months or more.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

coast101 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help guys,
I`ll Investigate this further.

Just another quick question:
Did any of you guys take any electrical equipment over to Australia. This sounds like a dumb question but does it work on the Australian power system. I`d like to take my games consoles over and a couple of other things.

Thanks

Nick

We took our TV, computer, washing machine, microwave, they all work just buy plugs at Bunnings and change them over.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Now i can start gathering the info together and looking for a flat, and using your reccommendations from this and other posts find a courier company to ship with.

Almost crimbo!

Not long to get things sorted.

Flying out to Brisbane end of feb,via cape town (to see relatives) a helluva trip!