Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

quickest way in ????????

quickest way in ????????

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Peter500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quickest way in ????????

Hi everyone. I've just signed up to this forum as I would like to emigrate to Australia. My problem is I have no skills and no friends or family out there. I've gathered that if you have a "skill in demand" then this can get you into the country, along with other bits and bobs to make up the points.

Now my question?

I've seen courses for plumbing that can be crash coursed in 9 months, I've seen the same type of course to become MCSE qualified (I.T) in 6 months!! Does anybody have any other advice on how long it takes on average to get qualified in their field, either doing a full or part time course at college or wherever?

Any help will be very much appreciated as I really have no idea of which way to jump at the moment I'm currently 35 and the way I see it have 10 yrs to get there, I just want to get started researching college places but don't want to go starting a course that will take 2 yrs when I can be qualified in another suitable field in say 9 months.

I hope that makes some sense

Pete
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:21 am
owieb

Default Re: quickest way in ????????

Originally Posted by Peter500
Hi everyone. I've just signed up to this forum as I would like to emigrate to Australia. My problem is I have no skills and no friends or family out there. I've gathered that if you have a "skill in demand" then this can get you into the country, along with other bits and bobs to make up the points.

Now my question?

I've seen courses for plumbing that can be crash coursed in 9 months, I've seen the same type of course to become MCSE qualified (I.T) in 6 months!! Does anybody have any other advice on how long it takes on average to get qualified in their field, either doing a full or part time course at college or wherever?

Any help will be very much appreciated as I really have no idea of which way to jump at the moment I'm currently 35 and the way I see it have 10 yrs to get there, I just want to get started researching college places but don't want to go starting a course that will take 2 yrs when I can be qualified in another suitable field in say 9 months.

Pete
The skilled visa route requires that you have work experience, just doing a course won't be enough, you need to have been working in the "job" for a minimum amount of time and this varies (i think) between different skills.

Your best bet is to download http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books6.htm which tells you all about it.

Other options could be sponsored visas, business visas, distinguished talent visas all the information is on www.immi.gov.au ; otherwise get in touch with a migration agent and get them to give you a quick assessment. Most will do this for free and will give you an indication as to whether you are likely to be able to get a visa.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Hi owieb, yes I'm aware experience is needed. I think 3-4 yrs for an Independent visa, and only 12 months for State Territory Nominated. Once qualified I'll obviously have to work in this field till I go, but am under the impression once there, I am NOT tied down to actually working in this field!

Strange, but true! .......... I think ?!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've gathered that if you have a "skill in demand" then this can get you into the country, along with other bits and bobs to make up the points.
Don't forget the "skill in demand" list or Migration Occupation in Demand List (MODL) changes frequently so the occupation you are now training for might not be on the list when you need it.

I'd be surprised if the relevant assessing body would consider you as qualified in any of the occupations with only 9 months training and 12 months or so experience.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Yeah this is my worry, training up as something and then they drop it from the list at the last minute! but there MUST be some regulars that are always on there ?! ........ I don't know.

quote:

I'd be surprised if the relevant assessing body would consider you as qualified in any of the occupations with only 9 months training and 12 months or so experience.

I agree, but if I can get for example qualified in 9 months as a plumber, and I read this on the immi.gov website for State Territory Nomination:

If your nominated occupation is worth 60 points you must have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation for at least 12 of the 18 months immediately before applying.

3 yrs, job done ???
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Now my question?

Pete
Hi Peter, another option could possibly be a "student visa"? That way you could maybe get your qualification over here, so you would be sure that it would be recognised here. I'm not really sure if you would be accepted for a student visa, you would be better off asking an agent, but maybe it's an option worth looking at.
Good Luck!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:25 am
Just Joined

A Student Visa?? ......... over there ?? .......... now that DOES sound appealing although I haven't read anything on this one.

Maybe time to speak to an agent me thinks.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:50 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Hairdressers seem to be in pretty constant strong demand
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but if I can get for example qualified in 9 months as a plumber, and I read this on the immi.gov website for State Territory Nomination:
Before you apply to migrate you need a skills assessment. There are lots of different assessing bodies, depending on your trade.

I just can't imagine that you will get a positive assessment after only 9 months training.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HUP
LOL, now my partner cannot read this!! She keeps on telling me I would be good at that, oh and the daughter. I have thought about it before, especially as i've also noted the demand for them, but i'll trim the girls hair for them, give the boy a crop with a electric razor, but just aint sure about that one really.

I suppose it aint a bad shout really as I MIGHT be resticted to what I can or cannot do in the future. I had a bad motorcycle accident over a year ago and broke both my arms. They've both got 36cm pins in them now and although I am slowly gaining strength in them, I or anybody else isn't sure if i'll ever regain 100% in the strength dept. Basically I mean I might end up being rulled out of ANY heavy manual work.

I'm just trying to pick peoples brains for now
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by renth
Before you apply to migrate you need a skills assessment. There are lots of different assessing bodies, depending on your trade.

I just can't imagine that you will get a positive assessment after only 9 months training.
Renth, ok lets ditch 9 months. If it takes 3 yrs to train, then that's how long it will take.

I just wanna go down under. As I say as far as I gather, I have to get in by the time i'm 45 so have 10 yrs. I'd like to get there like the rest of them asap, but if it does take the 3 yrs, then that's what its gotta be I guess.

Just picking brains
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:29 am
(It's not my real name)

I just wanna go down under.
Any particular reason, have you been here before?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
As are nurses!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Renth, ok lets ditch 9 months. If it takes 3 yrs to train, then that's how long it will take.

I just wanna go down under. As I say as far as I gather, I have to get in by the time i'm 45 so have 10 yrs. I'd like to get there like the rest of them asap, but if it does take the 3 yrs, then that's what its gotta be I guess.

Just picking brains
You then run the risk of the profession dropping off the list. The lists change and the points required change. Have a detailed look at all the forms and occupation lists and something might spark an interest.

In 5 years there will be a new government with different policies. Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

LOL, now my partner cannot read this!! She keeps on telling me I would be good at that, oh and the daughter. I have thought about it before, especially as i've also noted the demand for them, but i'll trim the girls hair for them, give the boy a crop with a electric razor, but just aint sure about that one really.

I suppose it aint a bad shout really as I MIGHT be resticted to what I can or cannot do in the future. I had a bad motorcycle accident over a year ago and broke both my arms. They've both got 36cm pins in them now and although I am slowly gaining strength in them, I or anybody else isn't sure if i'll ever regain 100% in the strength dept. Basically I mean I might end up being rulled out of ANY heavy manual work.

I'm just trying to pick peoples brains for now

What does your partner do? Is there a way you could come through as the spouse on her application??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.