Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick word of advice.....

Quick word of advice.....

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold
Default Quick word of advice.....

Do you tip the movers???? Have them in as we speak. Have supplied endless tea/coffee and provided use of shower!! But just unsure if I am expected to tip once job done and if so how much??

Any advice gratefully received!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:12 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Quick word of advice.....

Originally Posted by jojo90
Do you tip the movers???? Have them in as we speak. Have supplied endless tea/coffee and provided use of shower!! But just unsure if I am expected to tip once job done and if so how much??

Showers and tea/coffee is more than enough - but if they dont smash anything then perhaps a 6 pack? PS Why shower???
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by molloymj
Showers and tea/coffee is more than enough - but if they dont smash anything then perhaps a 6 pack? PS Why shower???
They did the bulk of the work yesterday and it was really hot. They normally use motorway services apparently but as we live out in the sticks there was nowhere to go so I volunteered the use of it!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

JO
I think you've been very obliging.
that should be plenty.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

When I moved house I tipped my movers £20 each as they worked like dogs for probable crap pay. I think they do a fantastic amount of work that you couldn't do yourself. Remember they are not getting the lions share of your removals cost but are doing the lions share of the work. I may be a soft touch but I do feel many manual workers are undervalued and deserve a few perks ands tips.

Sean
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
When I moved house I tipped my movers £20 each as they worked like dogs for probable crap pay. I think they do a fantastic amount of work that you couldn't do yourself. Remember they are not getting the lions share of your removals cost but are doing the lions share of the work. I may be a soft touch but I do feel many manual workers are undervalued and deserve a few perks ands tips.

Sean
I agree, but the proviso being that they are doing a first class job!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's

Sean
If they are worth it, yes, I'd tip them.
As mine dropped a box marked "fragile" down a flight of stairs, and told me "theres him and me,and he has a bad back........so you have to help us" then mine didn't get a tip.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If they are worth it, yes, I'd tip them.
As mine dropped a box marked "fragile" down a flight of stairs, and told me "theres him and me,and he has a bad back........so you have to help us" then mine didn't get a tip.
Exactly
A good days pay for a good days work, SIMPLE.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ours got fed all day, bacon sandwiches, pasta, biscuits etc. A case of beers each & some spare booze & others bits that could not be packed.

More than enough.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:58 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's expected, but it's a nice gesture if they're done a good job. I'd tip £20-30 between them and tell them to have a round of drinks on us at the pub.

Nicky
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice....have opted for the case of beer each. Thought that was a good option.

Lets hope it all arrives in one piece!!