Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick wheres ARKON, aussie dollars lost the plot

Quick wheres ARKON, aussie dollars lost the plot

Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick wheres ARKON, aussie dollars lost the plot

Originally Posted by renth
You could partake in the Renth fear of flying cure: Diazepam + Gin and tonic, alternate half a tab with a drink 'till you pass out. Next thing you know you have arrived.

My OH did that on the way here (he downed a whole bottle of neat barcardi in the first 4 hours of the UK - Singapore flight).

He looked like crap for about a week afterwards - serves him right for leaving the kids to me to keep amused.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My OH did that on the way here (he downed a whole bottle of neat barcardi in the first 4 hours of the UK - Singapore flight).

He looked like crap for about a week afterwards - serves him right for leaving the kids to me to keep amused.
The thing about combining booze with tranquilizers is you don't have to down masses of booze and hence no hangover. You have to be a bit careful and not over-do it because you want to leave the plane on your feet rather than on a gurney.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about combining booze with tranquilizers is you don't have to down masses of booze and hence no hangover. You have to be a bit careful and not over-do it because you want to leave the plane on your feet rather than on a gurney.
Not the best way to enter a country you intend living in
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, if it ever gets to 1:1 how many of us would go back?

Aye I bet loads would, dont know if I could live half and half tho, the 23 hour flight is something I would be happy to never do again, let alone every year
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My parents did half and half for 15 years until they turned 80. They did find the trip a bit wearing towards the end but they were happy to do it. I must say that it did them the world of good healthwise as well - they were really nippy 80 year olds, still playing golf. Once they decided not to come back their health has declined although dad is still playing at nearly 85. Mum had to pack it in because her mobility has got really bad.

I would love to be able to do what they did and if the $ ever gets to 1:1 we might just be able to afford it. Now all I have to do is prise my Aussie husband out of his blessed vegie garden and we will be all set!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
My parents did half and half for 15 years until they turned 80. They did find the trip a bit wearing towards the end but they were happy to do it. I must say that it did them the world of good healthwise as well - they were really nippy 80 year olds, still playing golf. Once they decided not to come back their health has declined although dad is still playing at nearly 85. Mum had to pack it in because her mobility has got really bad.

I would love to be able to do what they did and if the $ ever gets to 1:1 we might just be able to afford it. Now all I have to do is prise my Aussie husband out of his blessed vegie garden and we will be all set!

Thats my aim as well, I'm still 10 years away from being able to spend the NH summer in Europe. Got to wait for the youngest to be able to fend for himself.

So much I never saw in Europe, I never even got to see Scotland, which is shameful. Are you going to buy property there, I'm intending to rent my sisters place of of her, whilst she moves in with freinds, well thats the current plan, 10 years is a long way off. I've also an Idea that doing it 6 months on and 6months here causes some tax problems ?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You off to prison or something Why do you have to stay that long? Actually you may as well go to prison, get you away from the farm
Why 4 years? It's complicated and after all why wouldn't it be. The Ex has been offerered a job in Sydney which she is almost certain to accept. It's 2 years paid training and for that she has to do 2 years placement. So if she says yes then I'm fooooked...

On the PLUS side and to answer hutch, believe it or not I prefer this outcome to the current situation. One Sydney is 1000% better than where I am both for me personally and my new business. I still need to be rid of the farm but knowing my situation for the next 4 years actually helps focus the mind on my long term exit plan.

And yes moneypen prison would almost be the same...Rapists seem to get less time served than I am having to serve in stalag Australia!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Why 4 years? It's complicated and after all why wouldn't it be. The Ex has been offerered a job in Sydney which she is almost certain to accept. It's 2 years paid training and for that she has to do 2 years placement. So if she says yes then I'm fooooked...

On the PLUS side and to answer hutch, believe it or not I prefer this outcome to the current situation. One Sydney is 1000% better than where I am both for me personally and my new business. I still need to be rid of the farm but knowing my situation for the next 4 years actually helps focus the mind on my long term exit plan.

And yes moneypen prison would almost be the same...Rapists seem to get less time served than I am having to serve in stalag Australia!
Oh well if China keeps buying Aussie resources, your probably going to reap the financial benefit of staying here. I've a feeling currently it's the best time financially I've seen in all my years here in Aussie.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if I should wish you luck in Sydney or hope that she doesn't accept the job
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon

Well, when you get to Sydney Arkon, drop me a line, and I'll take you out for a beer. It sounds like you have some pretty interesting experiences to share...

S
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:47 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Well, when you get to Sydney Arkon, drop me a line, and I'll take you out for a beer. It sounds like you have some pretty interesting experiences to share...

S
I want to be on that beer also Arkon!

Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:09 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
I want to be on that beer also Arkon!

Your both on. Some good British company wouldn't go a miss. A couple of days ago I went to a barbie and there were a couple of Greek blokes there, we just sort of levitated together and the conversation was orders of magnatude better than I'm used to here...(never mentioned sport or fishing once!)