Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions on Sydney?

Questions on Sydney?

Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on Sydney?

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
The way we got around this was to pay 6 months rental up front and then from then on rented monthly for the rest of the 12 month lease. When we moved out our references etc were all from the previous agent so wasn't a hassle at all.
I have heard of some people doing that and if you are trying to get a very popular property it may take some imaginative response to the Agent to put you on top of the pile.
For the OP, wherever you decide to live you will obviously try and get the best property for your money as may others. Yes you will need to complete an application but, the main thing agents want to prove to the property owner is that any renter has the funds to pay rent for the period of the rental and is 'suitable' for that property. This can be determined by the owner stating a preference for families, singles, whatever. Some agents application forms are so extensive its beyond a joke, some can be more simplistic, you may soon learn which is which. As a tip for securing the property that you want, engage with the agent showing the property. Don't suck up but be personable, ask for tips on the area, try and subliminally induce a preference for you by saying you are looking for a 'nice quiet clean place to live', letting them think you are a good tenant to have. Sometimes, offering a few dollars more per week rather than a large sum in advance can also help. Just don't go over the top but do be keen if you really want the property and think what type of renter they would like.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
I added what I thought was pertinent response to the OP's question earlier Dean.....I am sure you didn't see it otherwise you would not have been so swift to rebuke me for lack of input! Otherwise you would of been valid in your response to my response to someone elses response to my previous response to their response to.....well........you get my drift!!
Yes, yes and yes.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paddyo
I have heard of some people doing that and if you are trying to get a very popular property it may take some imaginative response to the Agent to put you on top of the pile.
For the OP, wherever you decide to live you will obviously try and get the best property for your money as may others. Yes you will need to complete an application but, the main thing agents want to prove to the property owner is that any renter has the funds to pay rent for the period of the rental and is 'suitable' for that property. This can be determined by the owner stating a preference for families, singles, whatever. Some agents application forms are so extensive its beyond a joke, some can be more simplistic, you may soon learn which is which. As a tip for securing the property that you want, engage with the agent showing the property. Don't suck up but be personable, ask for tips on the area, try and subliminally induce a preference for you by saying you are looking for a 'nice quiet clean place to live', letting them think you are a good tenant to have. Sometimes, offering a few dollars more per week rather than a large sum in advance can also help. Just don't go over the top but do be keen if you really want the property and think what type of renter they would like.
And as we discovered, get your application in early. We saw our place at around 6 in the evening time, knew that there would be a high demand for it and faxed in the application straight away. The reason we got the place was because we were the first people to fax our application through, despite not having a local rental history. We even offered below the initial asking price and still got it. That's another thing to consider - the rent is sometimes open to negotiation..
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotfuss
And as we discovered, get your application in early. We saw our place at around 6 in the evening time, knew that there would be a high demand for it and faxed in the application straight away. The reason we got the place was because we were the first people to fax our application through, despite not having a local rental history. We even offered below the initial asking price and still got it. That's another thing to consider - the rent is sometimes open to negotiation..
It was probably also because you were able to move in right away and thus provide immediate income to the landlord.