Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question For Those With Aussie Spouses

Question For Those With Aussie Spouses

Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough
Default Question For Those With Aussie Spouses

Hubbie & I are going back to the UK next month & were wondering if he (Aus Passport) can come through passport control with me (Brit Passport) when we get to London to avoid him having to queue.
When we came to Aus, I could go through the Aus passport control with him & wondered if it worked the same in UK.

Thanks,
Stacey
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question For Those With Aussie Spouses

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
Hubbie & I are going back to the UK next month & were wondering if he (Aus Passport) can come through passport control with me (Brit Passport) when we get to London to avoid him having to queue.
When we came to Aus, I could go through the Aus passport control with him & wondered if it worked the same in UK.

Thanks,
Stacey
Nope afaik. My better half & her Aussie Passport have to go to the Non EC/UK line up on arrival.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Stacey
We went over to the Uk for Christmas and I whizzed through at Glasgow airport with my British Passport while other half had to queue. Not sure about other airports though.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies, I thought it would be the case, just checking to see if anyone has got away with getting through the UK/EU line.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

MaggieNoodles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,
Stacey
I am an aussie passport holder, have been living in UK on permanent resident visa for 7 years and I have gone through Brit passport holders line with hubby with no problems at both Heathrow and Gatwick.

I used to queue in the non eu line but was told by immigration that I could now go through the fast queue with my hubby as I had been UK resident for a number of years.

Last edited by MaggieNoodles; Jul 20th 2005 at 5:43 am.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I think it depends on your visa maybe? Me and my aussie hubby go through together, he's on Indefinite Right to Remain. They never seem to question it. He used to go through the non-Eu gate and i used to panic, you hear these stories of couples who get separated :scared: :scared: I used to be pacing up and down waiting for him like a little dog waiting outside a shop for it owner We then decided to go thorugh together once we were married and we wish we'd tried it sooner.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:37 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

When we went over to the UK last September we all went through as a family and they said we could go through the UK line (MrsD and the little DagBoys on Aussie passports). Mind you - the queue for the non UK was not really any longer so we did not save much. When we got back to Brisbane we all came through the Aussie channel and I was not yelled at or turned back.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hubbie doesn't have a visa for UK, he will be going as a tourist. I have Brit passport so thought as we're married I could try taking him through the UK line with me as whenever we go back the queue for him is so long, I end up waiting for ages! I know what you mean about the separation, it's scary!
We might give it a go, they can only say no can't they!

Originally Posted by pako
I think it depends on your visa maybe? Me and my aussie hubby go through together, he's on Indefinite Right to Remain. They never seem to question it. He used to go through the non-Eu gate and i used to panic, you hear these stories of couples who get separated :scared: :scared: I used to be pacing up and down waiting for him like a little dog waiting outside a shop for it owner We then decided to go thorugh together once we were married and we wish we'd tried it sooner.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info DagBoy. Will give it a go!

Originally Posted by DagBoy
When we went over to the UK last September we all went through as a family and they said we could go through the UK line (MrsD and the little DagBoys on Aussie passports). Mind you - the queue for the non UK was not really any longer so we did not save much. When we got back to Brisbane we all came through the Aussie channel and I was not yelled at or turned back.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:40 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info DagBoy. Will give it a go!
I'll say to give it a go too. I used to have a Hong Kong passport and went through the EU channel with my hubby for a number of times. They never sent me to the non-EU queue.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggieNoodles
I am an aussie passport holder, have been living in UK on permanent resident visa for 7 years and I have gone through Brit passport holders line with hubby with no problems at both Heathrow and Gatwick.

I used to queue in the non eu line but was told by immigration that I could now go through the fast queue with my hubby as I had been UK resident for a number of years.
Some UK airports have a special treatment for UK permanent residents, others don't.

Have you thought about becoming naturalised British and then you could have a British passport?

The only reason to think twice would be if you use non-domiciled tax concessions - if you don't know what these are, then it's unlikely to matter much) - and even then the advantages of British citizenship usually outweigh other considerations.

Jeremy