Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for mums - Clarks Shoes & Pull Ups etc for kids

Question for mums - Clarks Shoes & Pull Ups etc for kids

Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Question for mums - Clarks Shoes & Pull Ups etc for kids

Hi all - just a quick question for all the mums already out in Aus. Is there is aussie equivalent to "Clarks" shoes ? Also do the supermarkets stock "pull ups" as well as nappies ? Just asking as my little one is dry in the day but uses huggies pull ups at night. As we are flying out in seven weeks I don't really want to go through the process of trying to get her dry at night now and then it all going to pot if she gets unsettled in the move.

Any info greatly received.

JO
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:03 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for mums - Clarks Shoes & Pull Ups etc for kids

Originally Posted by greggsy
Hi all - just a quick question for all the mums already out in Aus. Is there is aussie equivalent to "Clarks" shoes ? Also do the supermarkets stock "pull ups" as well as nappies ? Just asking as my little one is dry in the day but uses huggies pull ups at night. As we are flying out in seven weeks I don't really want to go through the process of trying to get her dry at night now and then it all going to pot if she gets unsettled in the move.

JO

Huggies are out there, yes, as well as other brands, although I found the sizes worked out slightly differently - the Aussie ones were slightly smaller than the UK ones. We bought pull ups last time we were there from the supermarket.

There are shoe shops that sell good shoes to children, but I have not yet had to experience these as we have always had shoes when we've been on hols.
Because of this, we are buying some school shoes here so we don't have to run around like headless chickens when we get there to buy more.

HTH
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy

JO
The aussie equivalent to Clarks is probably Clarks! www.clarks.com.au, Same with nappies - http://www.kca.com.au/products/.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

You can buy Clarkes childrens shoes here, but also look at Grosby shoes, they seem pretty good for comfortable long lasting school shoes, and not too expensive either.

Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickyc
The aussie equivalent to Clarks is probably Clarks! www.clarks.com.au, Same with nappies - http://www.kca.com.au/products/.

LOL - Clarks is in Aus! Brill! (although if you've got wide feet in the Uk, you still end up with the blue or black shoes... Same as it was when I was a kid. Let's hope the Aussie side is more progressive!)
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can buy Clarkes childrens shoes here, but also look at Grosby shoes, they seem pretty good for comfortable long lasting school shoes, and not too expensive either.
I went to the Clarks outlet here in Melb and payed $60. Bought a pair of Grosbys for $40.

Last pair of shoes I bought at M&S were £14.99 (08/05).

I would buy before coming out.

HTH
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I went to the Clarks outlet here in Melb and payed $60. Bought a pair of Grosbys for $40.

HTH
But that's about the same as UK pounds .... Clarks here, full price, cost me £25 for school shoes. Makes sense it would translate to $60.

At some point, you're going to have to pay anyway ... All this 'buy before you come' things might save £5 but is it really worth the pain?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iPom
But that's about the same as UK pounds .... Clarks here, full price, cost me £25 for school shoes. Makes sense it would translate to $60.

At some point, you're going to have to pay anyway ... All this 'buy before you come' things might save £5 but is it really worth the pain?
I did say from the factory "outlet". Can't recall exactly but I think the retail price is closer to $90.

Shoes in Australia are generally more expensive and inferior in quality to Europe.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

I did say from the factory "outlet". Can't recall exactly but I think the retail price is closer to $90.

Shoes in Australia are generally more expensive and inferior in quality to Europe.

I'd better start putting heavy books on their heads.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:55 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

There are shops selling clarks shoes i just bought a pair for my son cost me $69 hubby nearly had heartattack lol
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:10 pm
ABCDiamond

HTH
I get the feeling everything in Melbourne is just damn expensive !!

We recently paid $25 for my daughters Grosby school shoes at Kmart. (and just as good as Clarkes in her opinion)

Many schools actually quote "Black lace-up shoes (Clarks school or similar)" as part of the school uniform code.

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Believe me you are not wrong! Every day there is a new surprise. Yesterday I got a quote for plantation shutters for 2 fairly average sized windows- $8100!!!!!! This on top of our $600k EXTENSION!!!

Truly there is only a couple of things I have found to be cheaper than London!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:40 am
Account Closed

We recently paid $25 for my daughters Grosby school shoes at Kmart. (and just as good as Clarkes in her opinion)

$25 is pretty good!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:51 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't really worry too much about any type of shoe! My 2 sons wear either thongs or trainers. I bought them some really nice leather sandals for the summer and they have only worn them a few times! I'd say wait till you get here cos you might find that you don't need them anyway.

Tracey
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tracey brien
I wouldn't really worry too much about any type of shoe! My 2 sons wear either thongs or trainers. I bought them some really nice leather sandals for the summer and they have only worn them a few times! I'd say wait till you get here cos you might find that you don't need them anyway.

Tracey
School they're going to says 'school shoes' even though there's no uniform. It has to be an enclosed shoe as the school is in a bush setting - don't want bites etc.