Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question - Adding Child to PR Visa?

Question - Adding Child to PR Visa?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:27 am
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Question - Adding Child to PR Visa?

My wife and I have Perm Res. Visa and plan to go to oz in 2006.
My question is, we now have a child!

Q1. Does she need PM visa too?
Q2. I don't want to pay out like i did to get mine, can i apply directly? how?
Q3. How long does it take?
Q4. Can i go to oz before the PM for her arrives are are we stuck in UK until we get it?

Any help appreciated!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question - Adding Child to PR Visa?

Originally Posted by berndbrot
My wife and I have Perm Res. Visa and plan to go to oz in 2006.
My question is, we now have a child!

Q1. Does she need PM visa too?
Q2. I don't want to pay out like i did to get mine, can i apply directly? how?
Q3. How long does it take?
Q4. Can i go to oz before the PM for her arrives are are we stuck in UK until we get it?

Any help appreciated!
1. She needs a permanent visa. You should sponsor for a Child visa. Download and read migration booklet 2:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

2. You will have to pay. No choice about that. The only way to have avoided it would have been to have had her born in Australia (she would have been an Australian citizen automatically).

3. Processing times for child visas in most offshore posts are fairly quick - most applications worldwide are done within 3 months, some visa posts such as London are usually quicker, a few are slower.

4. She needs her visa before you leave. You are fortunate that in 2003 they dropped the requirement for PR parents to be 'usually resident' in Australia to sponsor for child visas.

Jeremy