Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question about driving licences....

A question about driving licences....

Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:30 am
Been here since 31.12.06.

off-to-melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about driving licences....

My DD has come up with an idea to get her driving licence before her friends here, I don't know if it is 'legal' or even possible.

If, when she is 16, my DD applies for her learner's permit and spends a year learning to drive and becoming competent, then goes back to the UK where she can take her test at 17 -

Can she use her British licence to drive here - with or without P plates?

Would she be able to change her UK licence for a Victorian one?

As she is one of the youngest in her year she is keen to keep up with the others!

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice
Default Re: A question about driving licences....

Originally Posted by off-to-melbourne
My DD has come up with an idea to get her driving licence before her friends here, I don't know if it is 'legal' or even possible.

If, when she is 16, my DD applies for her learner's permit and spends a year learning to drive and becoming competent, then goes back to the UK where she can take her test at 17 -

As she is one of the youngest in her year she is keen to keep up with the others!

Thanks
If your daughter gets her British driving license then she will be able to exchange it for a victorian one, though she would have to go on P plates, until she is 21

Maria
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Thanks
Get her to go to the isle of man she can get her driving licence and take her test at 16 same licence as the uk one
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:18 am
Been here since 31.12.06.

off-to-melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I would prefer for my DD to have a year of driving before being able to go out on her own, so we might skip the trip to the Isle of Man!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:43 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

What is the age in Victoria then to get your drivers permit? Son passed his at 17 in NSW after doing the required 50 hours and test. I hear now it is 120 hours driving required is this the same in Victoria?

Ignore me just looked it up on Google

Minimum driving age

NSW: 17
Victoria: 18
South Australia: 16.5
Northern Territory: 17
Tasmania: 17
Western Australia: 17
Queensland: 17

So can 17 years old drive on Holiday to the other states!

Last edited by Sandra; Feb 26th 2008 at 1:47 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
What is the age in Victoria then to get your drivers permit? Son passed his at 17 in NSW after doing the required 50 hours and test. I hear now it is 120 hours driving required is this the same in Victoria?

Ignore me just looked it up on Google

Minimum driving age

NSW: 17
Victoria: 18
South Australia: 16.5
Northern Territory: 17
Tasmania: 17
Western Australia: 17
Queensland: 17

So can 17 years old drive on Holiday to the other states!
It would be cheaper to send her to one of the other states than to the UK