Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Electricians

Queensland Electricians

Old May 25th 2004, 8:40 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Queensland Electricians

Ive seen threads detailing Western Australia about how you have to take exams again to obtain your licence(Electrician) but does anyone know what i have to do in Brisbane once i arrive??
Ive got my visa(136)PR and been assessed by thr TRA but can i start work once i arrive after i get my licence?
Ive E mailed the TRA but no reply,Ive E mailed my agent but he must be busy.
Any information would be great.

Mr Leannefr(Darren)
Old May 25th 2004, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland Electricians

Hi Darren,

The Queensland process is like the western australia process,where you will need to be acessed on your qualifications.
I will be going through the process in a few weeks time and let you know what it actually involves.

Terry
Old May 25th 2004, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

AustMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leannefr
Ive seen threads detailing Western Australia about how you have to take exams again to obtain your licence(Electrician) but does anyone know what i have to do in Brisbane once i arrive??
Ive got my visa(136)PR and been assessed by thr TRA but can i start work once i arrive after i get my licence?

Mr Leannefr(Darren)

Darren,

This site should give you all the information you require.
Good luck! www.eso.qld.gov.au/forms/gloverseas.pdf.
Old May 26th 2004, 6:00 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Terry
Hi Darren,

The Queensland process is like the western australia process,where you will need to be acessed on your qualifications.
I will be going through the process in a few weeks time and let you know what it actually involves.

Terry

That would be great!!
Cheers!
Old May 26th 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Originally posted by leannefr

Mr Leannefr(Darren)

a friend of ours emmigrated to Brisbane a few years ago and although when he was here he ran and owned an electrical contracting firm and ran major contracts had done a full apprenticeship, been in the trade for thirty years and at times employed over fifty sparks. When he arrived in Oz he was only classed as a basic sparky which meant he was allowed to change plugs (supervised!!!) but that was it until he took the Australian exams.....he was so annoyed, amazed he nearly returned to the Uk.....he didnt stuck it out played by the rules and now all is ok !!
Old May 31st 2004, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

hi darren
when you arrive in brisbane ring this number 32231423 its trades recognition. they will make an appointment with you to go and see them with all your certificates ect. they will already have your details. then they will tell you what you have to do and how long it will take to get your licence. in the meantime while you wait you can work as an electricians hand they have to supervise you and check your work. i got work with the first electrician i rang out of the paper. the money isnt brill but its getting me used to there way of working before i have to take the tests. in general they are behind uk standards they hadnt heard about 16th edition wiring regs and testing is practically non existent.
when i get further on in the process i will keep u informed
alan
Old May 31st 2004, 6:53 am
Just Joined

jurassic spark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jinxnkay
hi darren
when you arrive in brisbane ring this number 32231423 its trades recognition. they will make an appointment with you to go and see them with all your certificates ect. they will already have your details. then they will tell you what you have to do and how long it will take to get your licence. in the meantime while you wait you can work as an electricians hand they have to supervise you and check your work. i got work with the first electrician i rang out of the paper. the money isnt brill but its getting me used to there way of working before i have to take the tests. in general they are behind uk standards they hadnt heard about 16th edition wiring regs and testing is practically non existent.
alan
Thanks for the useful info, I am also a spark looking to arrive in Jan 05, I haven't had to be assessed as the visa is through my wifes occupation so I will have to do all the assessment bit over there for a licence.Any rough idea how long it takes?
Old May 31st 2004, 1:21 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Originally posted by jinxnkay
hi darren
alan

Cheers mate,Thats fantastic.
What sort of money are you on? and what sort of work are you doing?