Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Originally Posted by mille777
Penthrox® (Methoxyflurane)

See attachment!

Enjoy....
Cheers Millie, anyone know where I can get some of this for the 28th!!!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

Ok time for a hijack
Keep reading that placements might be easier if areas beyond CBD are considered.
Anyone looked at areas around Brisbane Awaiting replies from friends regarding locations in relation to stations but has anyone got any good sources of research. Have already used ourbrisbane.com but does not really give much info and as one of the questions they ask seems to be preference of employment location want to be sure before committing
I want nice,cheap and problem freeif there is such a thing xx
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Penthrox® (Methoxyflurane)

See attachment!

Enjoy....
Cheers.

Easy reading then
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by holsie0
Do not quote me but........ Methox is an anesthetic which I believe was/is used mostly by Oz ambulance services pretty much in the same way as we use entonox. It has inhalational analgesic properties but was actually prohibited in the UK in the 60s' because of detrimental effects on the renal system. I see it is on the oz skill matrix so is it still used in QAS
OH is a brit paramedic working for QAS. Yes, it's still used in QAS as the standard pain relief. Stopped using entonox here some time ago as it was considered too costly!!!!!

QAS is considered by many brit paras here as being a bit of a backward ambo service and for some its very frustrating.

As one brit para said ''its nothing like they said it would be and its not ticking many of my boxes''

My advise to anyone thinking of coming to work for QAS would be, be prepared, before you come do as much homework about living here as you can, about where you might be stationed in QLD, living/housing costs (I personally think its no cheaper here than in the uk) leaving family and friends etc. Really think hard about what your'e leaving behind in the uk. We know a family (husband offered a job) who were coming without doing a reccie first (as alot of you are) but did decide to come out and see(minus the kids)the area where they were going to be living but after coming out the wife realised she couldn't live here and Oz wasn't for her.
So please, just be very sure about what your'e doing

Anyway, less of that, and good luck to all at interviews
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holsie0
Ok time for a hijack
Keep reading that placements might be easier if areas beyond CBD are considered.
Anyone looked at areas around Brisbane Awaiting replies from friends regarding locations in relation to stations but has anyone got any good sources of research. Have already used ourbrisbane.com but does not really give much info and as one of the questions they ask seems to be preference of employment location want to be sure before committing
I want nice,cheap and problem freeif there is such a thing xx
Other threads on this very forum are a good source of info. If you search for individual suburbs I think most of them have been covered by now to some extent or another.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackhigh
OH is a brit paramedic working for QAS. Yes, it's still used in QAS as the standard pain relief. Stopped using entonox here some time ago as it was considered too costly!!!!!

QAS is considered by many brit paras here as being a bit of a backward ambo service and for some its very frustrating.

As one brit para said ''its nothing like they said it would be and its not ticking many of my boxes''

My advise to anyone thinking of coming to work for QAS would be, be prepared, before you come do as much homework about living here as you can, about where you might be stationed in QLD, living/housing costs (I personally think its no cheaper here than in the uk) leaving family and friends etc. Really think hard about what your'e leaving behind in the uk. We know a family (husband offered a job) who were coming without doing a reccie first (as alot of you are) but did decide to come out and see(minus the kids)the area where they were going to be living but after coming out the wife realised she couldn't live here and Oz wasn't for her.

Thats great thanks for the info
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackhigh

Very good post, and the points can apply to anyone coming over on a sponsored visa. Just because the job is sorted doesn't mean everything else will be a bed of roses.Think hard before you plunge in.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:20 pm
leave the swelling!!

The Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really nice

I agree. (and anyone who likes Ritchie Blackmore is obviously sound!) Anyone coming over will undoubtedly be a little surprised if they haven't done sufficient research. It does seem surreal because we drive on the same side of the road and speak a variation of the same language but remember this is still a 'foreign' country! Things will be different whilst appearing very familiar. As far as the job goes, it carries the same type of core work (dependant on where you are posted of course!), similar challenges and all the same gripes and groans that you had in the UK. But, as has been said SOOOOOO many times on here, remember why you are coming. Predominantly it will be for the lifestyle, not the utopia of a working community where everything is peacocks and water features!

Queenslanders (in my experience and opinion) are very friendly, helpful and good folks. The country is beautiful with beaches like you have never seen, mountains that are breathtaking and a pace of life that we have certainly adapted to.

yes there are rough areas but still not as rough as those I have experienced in the UK. I left a car in a supposedly low socio-economic area with the window down for 6 whole days and it wasn't touched. My partner feels safe even out and about on her own and I haven't yet been threatened whilst on the job (oo er!) which was an almost daily occurrence in England.

We have been here for just about 5 months now and I still can't stop smiling despite several ongoing issues with family etc. We made the right choice and I'm sure that once you get here, given enough time and a willingness to make it work, that you will all feel the same. I certainly hope so. The main problem is that no-one understands my accent and they keep taking the mickey!!!

If anyone wants any more info from me, please PM and I'll get back to you.

This is a great part of the world, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

just my opinion folks.....
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=The Pink Panther;5580414]I agree. (and anyone who likes Ritchie Blackmore is obviously sound!) Anyone coming over will undoubtedly be a little surprised if they haven't done sufficient research. It does seem surreal because we drive on the same side of the road and speak a variation of the same language but remember this is still a 'foreign' country! Things will be different whilst appearing very familiar. As far as the job goes, it carries the same type of core work (dependant on where you are posted of course!), similar challenges and all the same gripes and groans that you had in the UK. But, as has been said SOOOOOO many times on here, remember why you are coming. Predominantly it will be for the lifestyle, not the utopia of a working community where everything is peacocks and water features!

Queenslanders (in my experience and opinion) are very friendly, helpful and good folks. The country is beautiful with beaches like you have never seen, mountains that are breathtaking and a pace of life that we have certainly adapted to.

yes there are rough areas but still not as rough as those I have experienced in the UK. I left a car in a supposedly low socio-economic area with the window down for 6 whole days and it wasn't touched. My partner feels safe even out and about on her own and I haven't yet been threatened whilst on the job (oo er!) which was an almost daily occurrence in England.

We have been here for just about 5 months now and I still can't stop smiling despite several ongoing issues with family etc. We made the right choice and I'm sure that once you get here, given enough time and a willingness to make it work, that you will all feel the same. I certainly hope so. The main problem is that no-one understands my accent and they keep taking the mickey!!!

If anyone wants any more info from me, please PM and I'll get back to you.

This is a great part of the world, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

just my opinion folks.....

I 2nd that mate ;-)
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

padicman is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Hi anyone had their interview yet in London ??
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by padicman
Guess all still in shock or enjoying the sights
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

mille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nice
Post Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Ambo chief's travel costs queried

Courier Mail, November 18, 2007

THE boss of the beleaguered ambulance service spent almost $50,000 jetting around the world in business class last financial year to deliver a swag of speeches about his organisation.

Queensland Ambulance Service commissioner Jim Higgins delivered orations in Holland and England, and two in China while paramedics back home were busy working stints as long as 36 hours straight.

Mr Higgins also attended a meeting in New Zealand, reviewed biosurveillance capacity in Denmark and facilitated procedure reviews and staff recruitment in Britain.

His $47,566 travel bill is in contrast to the unstamped passport of Fire & Rescue Commissioner Lee Johnson and Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson who spent $6500 attending two conferences in NZ.

The release of the figures in the Department of Emergency Services 2006-07 annual report, comes as auditors complete an internal review amid concerns record QAS funding is not reaching paramedics.

QAS deputy commissioner Neil Kirby notched up a $14,670 tab on two trips as part of the $166,000 overseas travel bill for management, blamed partly on a British recruitment drive that has netted an extra 59 paramedics.

Mr Higgins yesterday said his larger bill was out of the ordinary but the speeches were a positive investment for Queensland in developing and nurturing lucrative relationships.

"I'm sure that there is a perception that this is travel for anything but work but I can assure you this was business and important work for the QAS," he said.

"I get invited very often to do presentations in many parts of the world but very few I accept."

But Opposition emergency services spokesman Ted Malone said the largesse was largely unjustified and showed why an independent inquiry of the QAS was needed.

"We've been up against Mr Higgins in estimate hearings and I can tell you he wasn't that impressive as a speaker," Mr Malone said.

Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said overseas travel by QAS staff for the recruitment drive would include a further 100 interviews.

"The Queensland Ambulance Service is employing an additional 250 ambulance officers this financial year," Mr Roberts said.

"The appointment of these additional ambulance officers will further boost the delivery of the ambulance services across Queensland."
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ambo chief's travel costs queried

Courier Mail, November 18, 2007

THE boss of the beleaguered ambulance service spent almost $50,000 jetting around the world in business class last financial year to deliver a swag of speeches about his organisation.

Queensland Ambulance Service commissioner Jim Higgins delivered orations in Holland and England, and two in China while paramedics back home were busy working stints as long as 36 hours straight.

Mr Higgins also attended a meeting in New Zealand, reviewed biosurveillance capacity in Denmark and facilitated procedure reviews and staff recruitment in Britain.

His $47,566 travel bill is in contrast to the unstamped passport of Fire & Rescue Commissioner Lee Johnson and Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson who spent $6500 attending two conferences in NZ.

The release of the figures in the Department of Emergency Services 2006-07 annual report, comes as auditors complete an internal review amid concerns record QAS funding is not reaching paramedics.

QAS deputy commissioner Neil Kirby notched up a $14,670 tab on two trips as part of the $166,000 overseas travel bill for management, blamed partly on a British recruitment drive that has netted an extra 59 paramedics.

Mr Higgins yesterday said his larger bill was out of the ordinary but the speeches were a positive investment for Queensland in developing and nurturing lucrative relationships.

"I'm sure that there is a perception that this is travel for anything but work but I can assure you this was business and important work for the QAS," he said.

"I get invited very often to do presentations in many parts of the world but very few I accept."

But Opposition emergency services spokesman Ted Malone said the largesse was largely unjustified and showed why an independent inquiry of the QAS was needed.

"We've been up against Mr Higgins in estimate hearings and I can tell you he wasn't that impressive as a speaker," Mr Malone said.

Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said overseas travel by QAS staff for the recruitment drive would include a further 100 interviews.

"The Queensland Ambulance Service is employing an additional 250 ambulance officers this financial year," Mr Roberts said.

"The appointment of these additional ambulance officers will further boost the delivery of the ambulance services across Queensland."

So is this a good thing or bad thing for us guy's who want to go to Oz Is that saying they will not employ UK Paramedics so they can save money or is that saying they will employ 250 UK Paramedics next year to justify spending the money on recruiting from the UK
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:27 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
So is this a good thing or bad thing for us guy's who want to go to Oz Is that saying they will not employ UK Paramedics so they can save money or is that saying they will employ 250 UK Paramedics next year to justify spending the money on recruiting from the UK
Its a bad thing because of all the reports we had to write last week justifying any travel done by our guys! I guess the bit about him flying business class would've gone down well in the Courier Mail. Can't even speculate on our figures obviously, and I didn't see the final reports, but I'd say you could bet your visa they were a lot lower than QAS.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 22nd 2007 at 8:30 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Am here!!!!! Beautiful sunny coast! On Oct induction :-))))))
scottie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by padicman
Hi Guy's, yes, have been 4 mine and still standing. They were very nice. Pool of between 2 and 3 interviewers. They were prety relaxed.....i wasn'tInterviews not 2 bad with pretty straight questions. If you go over your Paramedic stuff you be fine. Loads of different questions. Don't think anyone been asked the same 1 twice How has everyone else got on? Really good luck 2 those still to have theirs. No jobs till after July as is next years budget but at least lets everyone get organised 2 go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.