Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quarantine costs

Quarantine costs

Old May 18th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Quarantine costs

Hi guys,

I am shortly heading back to Australia (from Singapore), but with a couple of dogs in tow.

The local agent we have taken on has given us a breakdown of costs for the actual shipping of the dogs, but not for the costs we are likely to incur during their "holiday" at the Sydney quarantine station. Can some kind soul please give us a clue here?

Similarly, our furniture removalists have told us (and billed us) for the $350 inspection fee from AQIS, but told us if any of our gear needs fumigation etc, that will be an additional cost.

Typically, how likely is it that say our solid wood table (without obvious insect infestation) will need to be fumigated, and how much will this cost?

Cheers
Old May 18th 2008, 4:37 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default Re: Quarantine costs

I'm allowing au$800 for quarantine fees for our dog who flies in 2 weeks. If you go to www.aqis.com.au (i think) you will get a full list of fees there... I know its au$17/per day then there is vet check and collection etc too.

Am interested to hear about fumigation of stuff though... i would say your table will be fine.
Old May 18th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Blossom
I'm allowing au$800 for quarantine fees for our dog who flies in 2 weeks. If you go to www.aqis.com.au (i think) you will get a full list of fees there... I know its au$17/per day then there is vet check and collection etc too.

Am interested to hear about fumigation of stuff though... i would say your table will be fine.
I was considering getting all our gear fumigated here (as it would be much cheaper), but the removalists recommended against that for 2 reasons:

firstly, we probably would pass inspection without the need to anything to get fumigated, and secondly, if AQIS decides something needs to be fumigated, they just ignore the fact that it has been fumigated off-shore
Old May 18th 2008, 5:30 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

So glad this topic has come up. We've paid for our container to go as far as Melbourne Port but not sure what the costs are once it hits there. The $350 inspection fee - is there anything else? I assume this doesn't include the fumigation etc.

I did look at the AQIS site but found it too confusing. Any ideas on what kind of price we're looking at. We've all regular furniture etc - a ball park figure would be great!

Also, any idea on how long its going to take to get put through? Been reading conflicting advice. Its due to land on June 26th so when realistically will I be able to take it?
Any help/advise would be great
Thanks a lot.
Old May 18th 2008, 6:27 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Irish gal - mine is due to arrive in sydney on the 25th June - will be good to see how long they take at both ports eh!
Old May 18th 2008, 10:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trev

You've got your answer for the dogs from Blossom, so I won't repeat that. Who are you using? We've used Mitchville-k9 for our 3 cats, currently incarcerated at Eastern Creek, and somebody else on here moving from Singapore quoted a figure twice what we've paid for the agent, flights, etc., so be sure to shop around.

Re. fumigation - our shippers (UTS) haven't mentioned anything separately for fumigation although all bills are going through our relocation agent so there could be something in them. We are assuming we will be fumigated; I have the impression Asia draws special attention and certainly a friend coming from Vietnam said all her pristine white linens were ruined by being fumigated. (We have a LOT of wooden furniture, some of it old.)

As to how long it takes, no idea, it seems to vary so much. Our container arrived last week (Trev, FYI it took 2 weeks from Sg) and the local agents say "at best, 2 weeks".

We had some stuff airfreighted too - it left our Sg home on 30 April and is being delivered to us this morning, so took longer than we were advised. Just clothes and personal effects but it has to go through customs too.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:57 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd add - 7 boxes of airfreight have just arrived. The 2 containing shoes have both been opened (one specifies shoes on the box, one does not) so do be sure to clean them well.
Old May 19th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi Trev

You've got your answer for the dogs from Blossom, so I won't repeat that. Who are you using? We've used Mitchville-k9 for our 3 cats, currently incarcerated at Eastern Creek, and somebody else on here moving from Singapore quoted a figure twice what we've paid for the agent, flights, etc., so be sure to shop around.

Re. fumigation - our shippers (UTS) haven't mentioned anything separately for fumigation although all bills are going through our relocation agent so there could be something in them. We are assuming we will be fumigated; I have the impression Asia draws special attention and certainly a friend coming from Vietnam said all her pristine white linens were ruined by being fumigated. (We have a LOT of wooden furniture, some of it old.)

As to how long it takes, no idea, it seems to vary so much. Our container arrived last week (Trev, FYI it took 2 weeks from Sg) and the local agents say "at best, 2 weeks".

We had some stuff airfreighted too - it left our Sg home on 30 April and is being delivered to us this morning, so took longer than we were advised. Just clothes and personal effects but it has to go through customs too.
We are using a guy called kelvin from PoshPets. He handled the Singapore side when our mutts came here, so we know him, and he seems to know his stuff. His fees are probably a little on the high side, but you are paying for local knowledge etc (he was able to put us straight in tough with a vet who could give the dogs their vaccinations but leave out the leptospira: most of the vets I contacted myself had a real problem with that).
Old May 19th 2008, 7:50 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Blossom
Irish gal - mine is due to arrive in sydney on the 25th June - will be good to see how long they take at both ports eh!
When did it leave? Ours left Cork on the 16th May
Have you been told anything about the cost of quarantine on the other side? Can't follow the weblink at all
Old May 20th 2008, 9:41 am
wannabeeinaussie

Mine left 15 May! Not been told anything of quarantine other end but i'm allowing $600. I have fossils and shoes and rocking horse that im quite worried about!
Old May 20th 2008, 9:52 am
Oh, George.....

I'm sure they'll be fine.

So you're keeping about $600 aside for quarantine and that. That's good. Hope its not going to be much more

The company we shipped with weren't really sure how much it would cost as they just usually deliver and have no need to know. He told us to leave about $1500 aside - but at this stage I think this is including getting our stuff moved to the house too. (Hope so anyway)

Irish Gal
Old May 20th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

kt_penfold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I ship pets for a living, and I'm really sorry to hear some agents aren't able to inform their customers of these charges!! Please see a break down of the costs involved:

Quarantine charges are:

Quarantine Entry - $10.00
Veterinary Inspection - $71.00
Documentation Clearance - $27.00
Transport from Airport to Station - $95.00 or $120.00 depending on times
Accommodation of a Dog - $17.55 per day
Accommodation of Subsequent Dog - $12.55

I really hope this helps.

Kate
Old May 20th 2008, 12:07 pm
wannabeeinaussie

yes I hope it wont be much more than $600 - but should have a job by then LOL.

When do you fly out?
Old May 20th 2008, 12:52 pm
Oh, George.....

26th June - the day it is due to arrive! Luckily, we'll be staying with my sister til we get sorted. How about yourself
Old May 20th 2008, 12:53 pm
wannabeeinaussie

I leave 10th June - just 21 days and counting!