Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quality Sydney Restaurant Advice

Quality Sydney Restaurant Advice

Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Quality Sydney Restaurant Advice

When we arrive in Sydney early January, I'd like to take my wife out to an impressive restaurant overlooking the harbour (to say thanks for putting up with me for harping on and on about Oz for the last couple of months!)

Any suggestions for quality, romantic restaurant in a stunning location?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality Sydney Restaurant Advice

You might find this thread useful.

I'll review it myself and see if I can add any to it.

edit: obviously it would help if I included the link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587637
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We booked Cafe Sydney for shortly after arrival and were very pleased with that.

I would not recommend Tetsuya, one seriously over rated experience. (Its not near the harbour either, I am just mentioning it because it was on the thread Seasider posted a link to).
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:36 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
When we arrive in Sydney early January, I'd like to take my wife out to an impressive restaurant overlooking the harbour (to say thanks for putting up with me for harping on and on about Oz for the last couple of months!)

Any suggestions for quality, romantic restaurant in a stunning location?
aria is superb and overlooks opera house

but the best day out ive had in sydney is the airplane flight from catalina's restaurant out to some place that you can only get to by boat - that was just amazing. (and about 400$/head)
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Thanks guys...food for thought!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go back to Tetsuya's. Seriously overhyped. Our favourite Japanese restaurant is a little one in a shopping area in Lane Cove Taiki - http://www.smh.com.au/news/restauran...420283465.html We still go there even though we no longer live on the North Shore, and are greeted like old friends. (Not many places can get my husband to eat tofu but they do some fabulous dishes with it.)

For a restaurant with a view AND fab food, that just keeps on winning awards, my choice is Quay. http://www.quay.com.au/index.html Check there's not going to be a cruise ship in front of it though http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_o...ruise_schedule (at the OPT)

Most of my favourite restaurants don't have harbour views. Lochiel House is about 90 minutes drive away but oh so worth it. http://www.lochielhouse.com.au/ The staff are knowledgeable and passionate about their food; Monique is a delight and they so deserve their recent SMH Good Food award.

One we tried recently and LOVED, http://www.restaurant-arras.com.au/ is in a great old building but no view. You can't understand the menu but the wait staff know it all in great detail and it's part of the experience.

Not sure if that thread mentions Flying Fish http://www.flyingfish.com.au/ it's in a great old wharf building, really is part of Sydney's heritage.

I still haven't been to Cafe Sydney but The Geek went there for a business dinner the other evening and said it is fab. Great views too.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

and of course you have to have a glass of bubbly at the Opera House- or rather one of the bars that line Circular Quay.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:52 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
and of course you have to have a glass of bubbly at the Opera House- or rather one of the bars that line Circular Quay.
The Opera Bar is a very cool place to watch the sun go down. The terrace above it, outside the studio, is a lot quieter.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Cafe Sydney blew my socks off. It can compete with any top notch restaurant in London or New York. Even the toilets are lush.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I'd join the club with regards to Cafe Sydney, make sure you book early enough to get a seat on the balcony or close to, for the best views.

Aria is nice, but you won't necessarily get a view.

Agree about Tetsuya's too.

If you do like sushi/sashimi, there is no view, but I would recommend sushi-e on George Street. Makes an old codger like me feel very trendy. My 17 year old daughter loves it. The Hemmesphere bar next to it is pretty flash too, as long as you don't mind paying $11 for a beer!