Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quality of Clothes and Shoes

Quality of Clothes and Shoes

Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quality of Clothes and Shoes

Originally Posted by Badge
lol. If he knows more about it, he'll get more in to it. Get him a bespoke suit so he knows he looks good in it. That's half the battle.

Other thing, get him to ask YOU want he wants you to wear You could wear jodphurs and boots, etc when he has the suit on etc etc.

Might have to go and sit down myself.

Badge

Jodphurs?!! :scared: :scared: I can guarantee 100% that me in jodphurs wouldnt do anything for anyone apart from make them laugh

I am always telling him to buy a suit but he wont. The wedding one is still in the wardrobe under a layer of dust!

So umm, does Mrs Badge know about this fetish of yours? lol
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:06 am
Badge

Originally Posted by spalen
Oh for Austin Reed or Pink fame, even a Charles Trywhitt or two, Herringbone is as close to those 3 as Ive seen.
Now we're talking. Care to join my Australian secret society for Posh Shirts? 200 bucks is a no no. Van Heusen are good but not in the same league- the perpetual bridesmaid.

Badge

PS Now I think about it Pink or Trywhitt were always the yardstick - always used to advertise in the Sunday Times. I still have a few shirts from TM Lewin these were always the extreme city boy ones - which I got cheap in a sale in 1998. Jesus.

Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:27 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Now we're talking. Care to join my Australian secret society for Posh Shirts? 200 bucks is a no no. Van Heusen are good but not in the same league- the perpetual bridesmaid.

Badge

PS Now I think about it Pink or Trywhitt were always the yardstick - always used to advertise in the Sunday Times. I still have a few shirts from TM Lewin these were always the extreme city boy ones - which I got cheap in a sale in 1998. Jesus.
TM Lewin were ALWAYS on sale, their shop was just behind my office in fleet street (from blackfriars) it was always some deal if you bought 3 of them.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:31 am
Badge

Originally Posted by spalen
TM Lewin were ALWAYS on sale, their shop was just behind my office in fleet street (from blackfriars) it was always some deal if you bought 3 of them.
I knew a posh bloke who was MR Lewin - he'd wear them on the weekend. He looked like a catalogue.

He took me to the shop after work one day in 1998, my last year in London. That was it, if you bought 3 - and to get the final one, you'd have to go for the pink with green stripes - then you'd get them for a knock down price. But the ones on sale were all the 14s" and the 18s". I squeezed in to a 15" and was never the same again.

Badge

Still have them!

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I admit, I miss most of the shops in the UK but that said, you will find what you are after here but you may have to look a little harder. If you are after the cheap stuff, Target is really great and is head and shoulders above Kmart for clothes (only my opinion), Myer (you can get any price range there) same for David Jones, Supre, Cotton on, Jay Jays. For a little more, you are looking at Sports Girl, Portmans, **** (yep, it's here), Kookai, Jag, Witchery and so it goes on. There is a Chanel, Louis Vutton and Gucci over the road from my work You should probably go to a shopping centre (I recommend a Westfields) and have a look around, you will soon become familiar with the shops that you like.

Have fun
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Boys of the Australian secret society for Posh Shirts, you are in luck. Pink, Tyrwhitt and Lewin are all having a summer sales online at the moment.

www.thomaspink.co.uk
www.ctshirts.co.uk
www.tmlewin.co.uk

The on-sale selection from Pink isn't the greatest IMHO and Lewin's sale ends this weekend. If you know your exact size for each brand you'll find some bargains. Even with international shipping prices are still quite reasonable.

Why do I even care about men's shirts?!?! Oh I remember now, JTL never buys his shirts or any clothings, and I have to put in orders for him. Don't ask him what brand name or size he wears - he doesn't know nor does he care. In fact he doesn't even see the bill till he gets his credit card statement!

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of shops was down bris today, anyone seen the new david jones in the mall, Queen street plaza, its gone all posh and upmarket, sort of Chadstone Melbourne style but smaller, very upmarket and lots of designer shops, god only knows where in brisbane you would wear a $700 top but never mind Myer has gone all posh too loads of white shiney glossy tiles, ( had visions of people going A over T) when it rains, but it looks really upmarket. Parking in king george and the new car park seems to be about $17 for 3 hours tho.

As for quality you can find it, but if you do you really pay for it, we just accept now most stuff is chuck it out after one season. Stuff like sheets and that we just wait till they are on sale and buy the best quality stuff so it lasts more than 3 washes. Leather shoes are hard to find in nice styles, its pretty amazing most shoes are synthetic in this climate :scared:

One brill side to shopping here, the sizes seem to be getting huge, grabbed a heap of items to try on today, in a medium or 12 as I consider myself not fat but very curvy and I had to throw them all back, its great for your ego when the assistant sticks her head through and you have to yell out, too large bring me a 10

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 27th 2005 at 6:20 am.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Speaking of shops was down today, anyone seen the new david jones in the mall, Queen street plaza, its gone all posh and upmarket, sort of Chadstone Melbourne style but smaller, very upmarket and lots of designer shops, god only knows where in brisbane you would wear a $700 top but never mind Myer has gone all posh too loads of white shiney glossy tiles, ( had visions of people going A over T) when it rains but it looks really upmarket. Parking in king george and the new car park seems to be about $17 for 3 hours tho :scared:

As for quality you can find it, but if you do you really pay for it, we just accept now most stuff is chuck it out after one season. Stuff like sheets and that we just wait till they are on sale and buy the best quality stuff so it lasts more than 3 washes. Leather shoes are hard to find in nice styles, its pretty amazing most shoes are synthetic in this climate :scared:
Is it my imagination or what? I think David Jones in Brisbane CBD has gotten smaller now that it's moved to Queen's Plaza. I think it's just the mall that's gone upmarket, comparing to other shopping centres in the city.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Never mind the style and stuff. I would like to know how i can convince my husband to ever wear a suit?!
I'm a bit of a perv on the quiet and nothing gets me going more than a bloke in a gorgeous suit with a crisp white shirt underneath, i'm going weak at the knees thinking about it
And I thought I was the only one who thought like that! :scared: Dagboy thinks Im a weirdo pervert cos I love it when he wears a suit . Absolutely drop dead sexy & I especially love the sound of his shoes when he walks on hard floors cos I know that means hes all dressed up (Wheres the panting smiley when you need one! )
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Is it my imagination or what? I think David Jones in Brisbane CBD has gotten smaller now that it's moved to Queen's Plaza. I think it's just the mall that's gone upmarket, comparing to other shopping centres in the city.

Mrs JTL

It seemed a bit of a maze all curves, glass, sliver, and escalators, but yes I think its smaller than the old square layout style DJ's.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:30 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a skirt from warehouse in April when I was at home that cost 35 pounds in the sale (reduced from 50) and saw it in target on my return for $35 it was quite distinctive fabric and shape and was identical in every way except the warehouse one was lined....that sums up the differences to me!!

As someone who spends lots of time shopping I still find it disapointing here for the middle price range stuff, plenty of cheap and nasty, particularly for kids.I am finding that I buy less clothes but spend more on decent quality stuff, I dont bother with the big shopping centres much but there are several nice boutiques in the Valley, its taken me 18 months of searching to find about 5/6 shops that I really like for me, for my daughter I'll be stocking up on our annual trips home, nothing comes close.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:30 am
ABCDiamond

I have no problem with clothes, but then I am a man

A decent pair of trousers for $45 from Ed Harry Menswear, does me fine.

My wife, well that's a different story, she still hasn't found all the "right" shops yet, and I refuse to help

She had no problems in Sydney, but then she knew that area well. (Maybe that's why our cost of living is so much cheaper up here )

As Shellfish said "have a look around, you will soon become familiar with the shops that you like".

Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
And I thought I was the only one who thought like that! :scared: Dagboy thinks Im a weirdo pervert cos I love it when he wears a suit . Absolutely drop dead sexy & I especially love the sound of his shoes when he walks on hard floors cos I know that means hes all dressed up (Wheres the panting smiley when you need one! )

Thats a relief Mrs Dagboy. I thought i had said something really bad and no one would talk to me again. So that makes two pervs
Kinda weird really as I am not into stuffiness at all, but, i dunno, just something really masterful about them.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I admit, I miss most of the shops in the UK but that said, you will find what you are after here but you may have to look a little harder. If you are after the cheap stuff, Target is really great and is head and shoulders above Kmart for clothes (only my opinion), Myer (you can get any price range there) same for David Jones, Supre, Cotton on, Jay Jays. For a little more, you are looking at Sports Girl, Portmans, **** (yep, it's here), Kookai, Jag, Witchery and so it goes on. There is a Chanel, Louis Vutton and Gucci over the road from my work You should probably go to a shopping centre (I recommend a Westfields) and have a look around, you will soon become familiar with the shops that you like.

Have fun
I agree with what you say but still; Next was something else in the UK....Yep Target is cheap but after a few washes I still find Target to be like Primark in the UK....ok quality for affordable price, where Next clothes seemed to last forever, were fashionable and classic and good material/quality...I can't find that here...If you're under 25 then supre jay-jays sportsgirl are great but if you are older then theres really only portmans and witchery and to be honest they all seem to copy eachother totally...I used to love going into Next and then for some bargain stuff I'd go to H&M......

Maybe in time I will forget Next but when I go back to the UK in November for a holiday I am stocking up big time!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Thats a relief Mrs Dagboy. I thought i had said something really bad and no one would talk to me again. So that makes two pervs
Kinda weird really as I am not into stuffiness at all, but, i dunno, just something really masterful about them.
I dont know what it is either, certainly not stuffiness or even masterfulness (is that a word? LOL) for me, just think he looks fab in one.

Although I think I would think he would be dropdead sexy even in a skirt :scared: .

Perv, yep thats me. biggest perv in the world when it comes to Dagboy, cant help it, I think he's gorgeous .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.