British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quality of Clothes and Shoes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quality-clothes-shoes-316144/)

toon williams Jul 26th 2005 1:17 pm

Quality of Clothes and Shoes

Just reading a couple of other threads on here, quite a few people have said to me that the quality of the clothes and shoes in Oz are no where as good as the UK, just wondered what others thought on that!!

Also I LOVE Next having just done the BIG sale it is great for the kids clothes and well all the families really, is there anything like that in Oz??

Megalania Jul 26th 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Quality of Clothes and Shoes

Originally Posted by toon williams
Just reading a couple of other threads on here, quite a few people have said to me that the quality of the clothes and shoes in Oz are no where as good as the UK, just wondered what others thought on that!!

Also I LOVE Next having just done the BIG sale it is great for the kids clothes and well all the families really, is there anything like that in Oz??

No worries mate: make yer own flip-flops from recycled car tyres and inner tubes - if yer that fussy.

Oakie Jul 26th 2005 1:43 pm

Who needs clothes?? 1 pr boardies, 1 pr flip flops, 365 days. :D

spalen Jul 26th 2005 1:53 pm

Like everything in life you get what you pay for.

You can still buy 'really' good shirts for 90 quid here - they cost 230$ - ie the same.

You can buy low priced stuff too at Target/K-Mart/Big W they all do kids clothes and stuff.

The big gap in the market that Next fills in the Uk is still a gap here - ( and Gap for that matter too). There isnt a place to go get cool kids clothes that are good quality for extremely reasonable prices.

Unbelievably you can buy that crap that woolworths sells - but here its alongside Ralph Lauren for Kids, and OshKosh ! Its just uber-priced.

The shoes range from cheapo stuff like you'd expect in UK but if you want them you can buy top-range things too , florsheim (US) are big here in business shoes etc.

So yes there is no Next. Yes there is a ready supply of cheap clothes and shoes. But there is also a ready supply of high quality stuff too (at least inthe cities).

Karenp Jul 26th 2005 1:59 pm

Hi there

I just got back from Oz on Sunday and I can tell you that the shops are similar to those in most western countries. As far as kids go you can always shop at Pumpkin Patch, which has excellent quality kids clothes.

K

PeteY Jul 26th 2005 2:13 pm

Being a bloke who is regularly dressed head to toe as if hes just walked out of the target changing room....i can attest to the fact that k-mart and target clothes are plenty durable enough thankyou very much.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just keeping up with the Jones'.

seang Jul 26th 2005 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by PeteY
Anyone who tells you otherwise is just keeping up with the Jones'.

David Jones?

Jacqui Jul 26th 2005 2:17 pm

Heading back to the UK soon for a visit, and for someone who normally can't stand shopping, I can't wait to hit the high street stores and buy some decent clothes - for me and the kids. First stop - Marks & Spencer for decent undies. BHS, Adams, even Tesco and Woolworths kids ranges are better than anything I've found here. Well maybe if I shopped in some more upmarket places in Perth I might find decent stuff for the kids, but I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for the kids clothes back in England, and I begrudge spending a small fortune here - you just know they will have a growth spurt within weeks of being kitted out! Still at least they have Clarks shoes here so you can get the feet properly measured and our (private) school insists on "proper" school shoes, about $70 upwards a pair, so the same daft prices there.

russmcp Jul 26th 2005 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by seang
David Jones?

David Jones are OK, I spent ages in David Jones with the other half trying to find a pair of smart (informal) trousers.

I have never spent so long trying to buy trousers, and I had to get them taken up, couldn't find any of that different leg size stuff. Paid $130 I think for a pair of nice looking trousers in the end. Its nice to know I drove the lady nuts when it came to clothes shopping, rather than the other way round as the norm.....

Thats the one big gripe I have, for me clothes are much better in the UK than in Oz.

MrsDagboy Jul 27th 2005 2:02 am

http://www.tradesecret.com.au/ ?

I agree with Petey, I find the stuff from Target, Myers, DJs, Kmart & even BigW is fine, if you're a clothes horse than you may be disappointed, but Ive got better things to spend my money on :) . I dont care what the Jones' are wearing ;) .

PS. someone on this board used to be a buyer or something for one of the stores in the UK (I think it was Philian - dont remember which store now, but one that people always rave on about) & she said that she has seen exactly the same clothes available here in Target that were in the store in the UK. Just goes to show that peoples perceptions about whats "good" can be swayed. ;)

nfernand Jul 27th 2005 2:19 am

I dont know much about shopping I am a bloke but.....I prefer the UK supper markets like Tesco & Waitrose compared to Coles in Australia. Over here at supper markets you get the quantity but not the quality.

European products are similar prices to the UK even though the salaries in Aus are much less.

Badge Jul 27th 2005 2:23 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
http://www.tradesecret.com.au/ ?

I agree with Petey, I find the stuff from Target, Myers, DJs, Kmart & even BigW is fine, if you're a clothes horse than you may be disappointed, but Ive got better things to spend my money on :) . I dont care what the Jones' are wearing ;) .

PS. someone on this board used to be a buyer or something for one of the stores in the UK (I think it was Philian - dont remember which store now, but one that people always rave on about) & she said that she has seen exactly the same clothes available here in Target that were in the store in the UK. Just goes to show that peoples perceptions about whats "good" can be swayed. ;)

Apart from ''decent'' shirts with cutaway collars which I used to get in London, I can find clothes here. Does Dagboy know where you can get a 'city' style shirt with a cutaway collar from? Even John Lewis used to do one for 35quid, you didn't have to pay 50quid+.

Badge

PeteY Jul 27th 2005 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Badge
Apart from ''decent'' shirts with cutaway collars which I used to get in London, I can find clothes here. Does Dagboy know where you can get a 'city' style shirt with a cutaway collar from? Even John Lewis used to do one for 35quid, you didn't have to pay 50quid+.

Badge

Being somone who has only ever worn two suits (one striped and woolen, one pink and rabbit shaped ;)), can you tell me what a cut away collar is?

PeteY Jul 27th 2005 2:30 am

Originally Posted by nfernand
I dont know much about shopping I am a bloke but.....I prefer the UK supper markets like Tesco & Waitrose compared to Coles in Australia. Over here at supper markets you get the quantity but not the quality.

European products are similar prices to the UK even though the salaries in Aus are much less.

Sorry, but i don't really agree..

On the subject of clothes, i find them much cheaper here. I got a great short sleeved shirt (trendy according to the wife) from k-mart the other day for $12.

For food....i find that it varies with season more than in the Uk, for the fresh stuff. Thats because it is'nt all grown in Egypt and shipped. Anyway, i find fresh produce and meat cheaper here, and processed stuff like bread and "prepared food" more expensive.

On the whole, our weekly food shops are less in relation to our salaries than they were in the UK. We buy mainly fresh food though....if you buy lots of processed stuff it would be different.

MrsDagboy Jul 27th 2005 2:31 am

Originally Posted by PeteY
Being somone who has only ever worn two suits (one striped and woolen, one pink and rabbit shaped ;)), can you tell me what a cut away collar is?

Yep, picture please :D .

Dagboy wouldnt know where to get a new hanky, I buy all his clothes for him now :D .