Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qualifications at 16 in Melbourne ?

Qualifications at 16 in Melbourne ?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future
Question Qualifications at 16 in Melbourne ?

We are moving to Oz for 2 years initially.
Am I right in thinking that in QL you only get a qualification at the age of 17 called an overall position -OP ?
We have a 14 yr old son and want him to do some qualification at 16 so he has the chance to come back to the UK and do A'levels - we are planning to go to Victoria and are worried they also only have OP's and we'd have to stay longer (we may want to anyway - not sure)
Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications at 16 in Melbourne ?

No public exams like GCSEs.

Kids get a school certificate if they have passed year 10 satisfactorily. If not, you stay in year 10. At the moment you can leave at year 10 but it looks like the gov't is wanting to change that.

I'm sure school reports would suffice to get your son on 'A' levels, however, he would have to consider that the school year ending in December means he will miss the start of the school year in UK.

'A' levels are worse than getting a degree so I doubt he would catch up easily and may end up waiting for the following September.

I found the schools more academic in the UK whereas here the schools want kids to be bright but also well-rounded individuals. I used to be old school and focus on exam results and that alone now I am warming to the Aus school system. Besides, how many people have you met that are thicker than you but get paid a lot more?

FYI - the problem with kids going back to the UK for uni is that if you have been out of the UK for 3 years then you no longer qualify as home/EU students and you are looking at paying overseas student rates.

If the kids want to study in the UK then easiest way is to find a melbourne uni that has an exchange with a UK uni. Or, tell them to do graduate study in the UK provided they get a scholarship (I don't mind forking out for undergrad but I'm b******d if I'm forking out for grad).

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Qualifications at 16 in Melbourne ?

Oh thanks for that - v useful
If he stayed to end of year 11 would he also get yr 11 certificate or does it end in year 10 and then another year ??
I agree with you about not just needing the academic side of education - sounds good.
Are you in Melb and if so do you like it there ?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications at 16 in Melbourne ?

In years 11 and 12 you are studying for the VCE (Victorian Certificate in Education), the thing that gets you into uni. If he left in year 11 he would get partial scores from his VCE subjects but I don't know how this would translate into UK quals. http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/index.html

The VCE is internationally accepted. http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/vcere...html#H2N40001C

Key decision seems to be see through VCE or 'A' Levels.

Yeh, we are in Melbourne. Been here two years and just sent off the citizenship apps.

Ian