Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas or Etihad?

Qantas or Etihad?

Old May 27th 2011, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default Qantas or Etihad?

Traveling economy to Australia, who would you choose to fly with of these two?
Old May 27th 2011, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas or Etihad?

Which one's cheaper?
Old May 27th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I'd choose Etihad - too many incidents with Qantas these past few months! Fare notwithstanding.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Unless you have low self esteem and feel you deserve to be degraded, choose Etihad.

Sign up to Virgin Australia Velocity to earn points on your flight that you can redeem on domestic flights.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Unless you have low self esteem and feel you deserve to be degraded, choose Etihad.
That bad?
Old May 27th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
That bad?
In my experience, yes.

My old work used to put us on the cheaper of Virgin and Qantas based on our requests. I used to schedule my trips for when there were no Qantas flights, just so I could avoid them.

When flying to Jakarta I stopped over in Singapore so I could avoid them, and that's a big detour.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

In my experience, yes.

My old work used to put us on the cheaper of Virgin and Qantas based on our requests. I used to schedule my trips for when there were no Qantas flights, just so I could avoid them.

When flying to Jakarta I stopped over in Singapore so I could avoid them, and that's a big detour.
Thanks [edit]

Last edited by IndieG; May 27th 2011 at 5:08 am. Reason: Thought you meant Etihad was bad!
Old May 27th 2011, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
Which one's cheaper?
the company is paying
Old May 27th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Why the limited choice?

Singapore is renowned as the best in the world (I believe). I find them great but I have flown with a limited set of airlines. Etihad were good, but no Singapore. I've heard that Virgin Australia (from my parents) are better than Etihad. British Airways, Qantas and Air France would be near the bottom of the pile among the mainstream long haul airlines in my opinion.

They flying you business or economy?
Old May 27th 2011, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by towers
the company is paying
Do they not like you very much?
Old May 27th 2011, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Why the limited choice?

Singapore is renowned as the best in the world (I believe). I find them great but I have flown with a limited set of airlines. Etihad were good, but no Singapore. I've heard that Virgin Australia (from my parents) are better than Etihad. British Airways, Qantas and Air France would be near the bottom of the pile among the mainstream long haul airlines in my opinion.

They flying you business or economy?
Economy - that's just how they roll
Old May 27th 2011, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
Do they not like you very much?
ha! more of a timing thing - our relationship is somewhat commensalistic if that proffers an explanation
Old May 27th 2011, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ha! more of a timing thing - our relationship is somewhat commensalistic if that proffers an explanation
I looked it up in the dictionary.

My wife and I have a similar relationship.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Economy - that's just how they roll
I think my choice would be:
Singapore Airlines
Virgin Australia (based on recommendations)
Etihad

In that order. A concern would be that Virgin are a relatively small operation, but they have backup from Etihad I am assuming in the event of a breakdown. With Qantas I don't know that you would have any such guarantees.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I've just done a trip home from Oz to Dublin with Etihad. They are code sharing with Virgin so my top tip would be to make sure that you fly from Abu Dhabi to Sydney on a Virgin flight (they were fab). The Etihad bit AD to Dublin wasn't great - very limited space so it was real sardines, individual screens were a big dodgy and because the flight was packed it wasn't possible to move, service was ok, not great, but Dublin to AD the flight wasn't very full so it was ok, service a bit better (food really nice) but basically it was ok because there was nobody in front to put their seat back and crush the hell out of my legs. On the other hand I would never, every, under any circumstances fly with Qantas (more bad experiences than I can list) so between the two I would go Etihad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.