Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Or Emirates

Qantas Or Emirates

Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:47 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Or Emirates

Given that choice QANTAS though I'd urge you to find other options.

DO NOT FLY VIA DUBAI!

Four years in jail for a poppy seed

08 February 2008

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has reportedly jailed a Swiss national for four years after three poppy seeds were detected on his clothing in searches for restricted substances.

http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=15112
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Given that choice QANTAS though I'd urge you to find other options.

DO NOT FLY VIA DUBAI!

Four years in jail for a poppy seed

08 February 2008

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has reportedly jailed a Swiss national for four years after three poppy seeds were detected on his clothing in searches for restricted substances.

http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=15112
Agree with the above, be very careful what you have in your luggage at Dubai airport, even prescription and non prescription drugs will cause problems. Don't stand on any cigarette butts beforehand in case they contained cannibis. Minute traces can result in jail. As can some seeds found in bread/buns etc.
Emirates ONLY if you don't have to leave the airport, otherwise Qantas every time, if only to avoid Dubai Immigration.
Flew Glasgow-Dubai-Bangkok-Sydney with Emirates a year or so ago. Flight's were good, if possible get window seat on last row of seats on 777. Only 2 seats and the window has a lot more leg room due to seat in front being offset a bit. It also has a good space between seat and window for stowing stuff. Its against the toilet bulkhead but recline is the same as normal and noise is not a problem. Check seatguru.com for info.
If you have more than 8 hour wait in Dubai , Emirates will put you up in a hotel as part of the ticket cost. Only drawback with this is that you have to leave the airport . Dubai Customs/Immigration is a total nightmare, the worst by far I've ever seen by far. Getting back through is as bad if not worse. Dubai was basically a third world airport pretending to be something it wasn't. Flight information was non-existent, departure gate wasn't even displayed until about 20 mins before departure.
Unless it's changed in the last year then I'd avoid leaving Dubai airport at all costs, but Emirates flight's are generally better than Qantas unless flying buisness class.
Emirates via Dubai-Bangkok/Singapore-Melbourne is a longer total time than Qantas-Singapore-Melbourne. Its currently not possible to check in online 24hrs beforehand for Qantas UK-Oz flights, it is with Emirates, so Qantas seat is a check in lottery unless your are a Qantas frequent flyer.
Qantas makes more sense than Emirates for frequent flyer points to go towards future Qantas internal flights.
Emirates frequent flyer programme is balls.
IMO all ecomomy flights are pants, just some are a lot more pants than others.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

We have flown with Emirates about 12 times and have always been really good. Inflight entertainment is excellant.
We lived in Dubai for 11 years. Really recommend it as a stop over. The hotels are amazing and lots to see and do.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

Ive been with Quantas and its very average. will be trying emirates next time
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:49 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Ive been with Quantas and its very average. will be trying emirates next time
I have flown with Emirates and the service is getting worse. I think Emirates need to get the service in order but saying that I would never fly with qantas long hall unless I was in buisness class.
I would look at Malaysian or Singapore.
Gary
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
I have flown with Emirates and the service is getting worse. I think Emirates need to get the service in order but saying that I would never fly with qantas long hall unless I was in buisness class.
Gary
I'd just give Qantas a wide berth - its average at best, and their economy is crammed. Even their business class is below average.

Emirates has a really good in-flight entertainment system (it was rated best worldwide last year) and when I flew a couple of years ago was good. Cathay Pacific is also really good, and I've heard good things about Etihad although haven't flown with them myself.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Gary

I would agree with this....we were not impressed with the service on our Emirates flights in November, people were having to remind the stewardesses that they'd asked for a glass of water ages ago and we thought the food provided was terrible - worse than what we'd had on all the short or longhaul flights we'd ever been on! One guy next to us asked for a drink only to be told that the drinks trolley would be round shortly - and then had to wait another hour! Also, they "forgot" to load our buggy onto the plane at the gate at Gatwick - so when we arrived in Oz - we stood waiting for a buggy that didnt turn up! It then took 3 days to be delivered to us - in the meantime because we'd been given such a crappy one by the airport - we had to go out and buy a cheap stroller to use!
We will be flying with Singapore Airlines next time... actually for when we've been looking at going this year - Singapore Airlines fares are actually a lot less than Emirates - which is different from last year otherwise we'd have flown with them back then!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'd choose neither. Emirates fly with old equipment by comparison nowadays for most of its fleet, has the same seat pitch as most airlines and the food is provided by the same catering company in Heathrow as half the others. The only exception is the B777 aircraft which has seat pitches of 34" in economy.

I've flown Emirates heaps and think they have a completely undeserved reputation on this board. All classes of cabins are rubbish by modern standards in the main and the entertainment systems work - sometimes.

Qantas are average and thats about it. Half the time the flights going to be operated by BA and they are about the same in terms of service and cabins etc.

For my money - I choose the none of the above option and fly a decent asian airline now every time - Malaysian (34" seat pitch in econ on all international flights) or Singapore. Reliable top notch product and service all the time.
I must be the only bloke in the world that is happy to fly any airline as long as its planes are serviceable. Feed me food, er and get me there. Seriously - I couldn't give a monkies. Give me a choice and I might choose one over the other but I would not go out to get an airline. (!)

Go on then....Emirates.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Centurion
I've flown Emirates heaps and think they have a completely undeserved reputation on this board. All classes of cabins are rubbish by modern standards in the main and the entertainment systems work - sometimes.
http://www.emirates.com/english/flyi...te_suites.aspx
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Living in Dubai I always fly Emirates, however be very careful on excess baggage, they charge a fortune for it, even if the plane is half empty.

One way to beat them is buy old golf bags from the charity shop and stuff then full of your stuff, they don't charge for golf clubs!

Cheers

B

Hope to be joing you guys in Auz soon
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I must be the only bloke in the world that is happy to fly any airline as long as its planes are serviceable. Feed me food, er and get me there. Seriously - I couldn't give a monkies. Give me a choice and I might choose one over the other but I would not go out to get an airline. (!)

Go on then....Emirates.

Me and my OH have always been the same - but then we had kids - and what with being more knackered on the journey etc - it's just nicer to have a bit better service...and food that your kids will actually eat so that you dont have to stuff your handluggage with bits to feed them with for the journey!
I still go for the cheapest fare available - but sometimes wonder if paying that extra couple of hundred quid might just be worth it......
(wouldnt pay 1st class or business class though - not wealthy enough for that! )
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

JohnLor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Thanks for this, The company is paying and have given us 2 flight options, one with Quantas and one with Emirates.
Hi Jason,

I am in a similar position with my new employer... its emirates or emirates... Choice removed which is great for an indecisive person like me... or is it?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnLor
Hi Jason,

I am in a similar position with my new employer... its emirates or emirates... Choice removed which is great for an indecisive person like me... or is it?

I think we will be fine with Emirates, when and where are you going?? I fly 3rd April to Melbourne??

Jason
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

JohnLor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
I think we will be fine with Emirates, when and where are you going?? I fly 3rd April to Melbourne??

Jason
Hi Jason,

two days later to Perth.. panic has set in...
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnLor
Hi Jason,

two days later to Perth.. panic has set in...

Ohh yes it has We haven't sold the house, have had no interest and I am having to leave wife and children here until sold:curse: Not good, but am looking forward to new job and Melbourne

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.