Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Putting an offer on a house

Putting an offer on a house

Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:29 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting an offer on a house

Most of the time , you have no idea of what the real price is. Put an offer in at 15% under, and see what the counter offer is. Then'll you'll get some idea of the ballpark.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Goodness that was quick! That's the good thing about the way they do things though I suppose. Apparently there's another couple interested in the same house (isn't there always!!) so fingers crossed. If you could let me have the details of your conveyancer that would be brilliant - we got a couple of names off the bank but doesn't hurt to get a couple of quotes does it, thanks for that
We used , AAA Land Broking Glenelg, She is a self-employed landbroker that works from home, So she is personally looking after you, think she charged $350 / $400 , We was put with her by the commonwealth bank. very quick, we forgot to claim the 1st times buyers grant, she had it through in 3 days.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

We just asked (through our rental agent) the landlord if he'd consider selling and they said yes. How do think that will pan out? Being as I asked, I would expect him to come back with a price and we begin negotiating. However, I would not be in the least bit surprised if a 'For Sale' sign appears one morning.

Good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Most of the time , you have no idea of what the real price is. Put an offer in at 15% under, and see what the counter offer is. Then'll you'll get some idea of the ballpark.
Prices are rising all the time in Adelaide just now, and I doubt it would work - they would probably laugh at you.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:20 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, here in brisbane too, but if you start too high, then the only way is further up. Walked away from a few when the real price appeared. Agents will do anything to close the deal once you start the contract signing
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Yup, here in brisbane too, but if you start too high, then the only way is further up. Walked away from a few when the real price appeared. Agents will do anything to close the deal once you start the contract signing

Yeah. It's not easy is it If you go low there's a chance that someone else will get it (houses shift really quick here just now), if you go high there's a chance they'll still want more
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

For all it's worth a couple of points from me.
Also from Adelaide.

I have been in no rush to buy so took my time going to opens/auctions in the general area. After a few months I had a very good feeling what the final price will be. Or should be as there were houses sold for way too much (not only in my opinion), but that was maybe 10-15% of the total.

Had not seen anything that we particulary liked, one was OK and we put in the offer asking to contact us before they make a decision but they just sold it to somebody else (for a bit less than we have offered but without any conditions).
Not too worried about loosing that one.

Than within a week two houses came on that would fit first for auction the other one just advertised (on the internet only). Put in the offer for the one that was going to auction (about 15% above suggested price) asking them to decide in 2 days if they are going to take the offer.

Went for a drive by the other house and it looked even better so arranged a visit. It was just on the market, no board, no opens, only realestate ads.
Second one looked good and a bit cheaper than the first one as well. Withdrew the first offer and XXX when it was adverised as XXX plus. I was rushing the agent as I knew the price was very good and if there were opens price would go much higher. After a day or so negotiating offered XXX plus 20k and got it.

If you like the house and the price is right go for it before too many people see it.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:57 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys for your input and experiences. Sounds like the process is a bit of a minefield anywhere. We worked out how much it was worth to us and have put an offer in based on that. If we don't get it we'll just keep looking
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Thanks guys for your input and experiences. Sounds like the process is a bit of a minefield anywhere. We worked out how much it was worth to us and have put an offer in based on that. If we don't get it we'll just keep looking
That is exactly what you should be doing.
If not this there will be another one.