Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Putting an offer on a house

Putting an offer on a house

Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:09 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough
Default Putting an offer on a house

Hi everyone

Quick question. When a house here is up at 'offers in excess of $x', what's the deal with putting an offer in? In the UK you don't tend to get this 'in excess of' business, there's just a price so we'd go in lower and work to a compromise but we're a bit unsure here. What have you guys done?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting an offer on a house

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Hi everyone

Quick question. When a house here is up at 'offers in excess of $x', what's the deal with putting an offer in? In the UK you don't tend to get this 'in excess of' business, there's just a price so we'd go in lower and work to a compromise but we're a bit unsure here. What have you guys done?

Ours was advertised at offers over $232k, so I offered them $232k

The estate agent came back to me and said would I be willing to go any higher, so I upped it $5k and got the house. Only problem with that is they may not give you another chance, I guess it will depend on how happy the vendor is with the offer(s) he gets.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:18 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

We've decided how much we want to spend max so we're happy with that, I was just kinda wondering if it was worth putting in a lower offer? From what you say, I guess the answer is no!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We've decided how much we want to spend max so we're happy with that, I was just kinda wondering if it was worth putting in a lower offer? From what you say, I guess the answer is no!!
It's a gamble really. For us it paid off as we were willing to go to $245k for this house, but it does depend on the agent, the vendor and the market to some degree.

Was there a lot of interest at the open?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:28 pm
Playing the game

There hasn't been an open, we booked an appointment to see it (which was good as seems people don't want to let people view their homes over christmas!) and it's very nearly exactly what we want. Just not walking distance to a pub like your place

We're thinking of making an offer but it's top of our budget so we weren't sure which way to go. Guess fate will decide eh!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There hasn't been an open, we booked an appointment to see it (which was good as seems people don't want to let people view their homes over christmas!) and it's very nearly exactly what we want. Just not walking distance to a pub like your place

We're thinking of making an offer but it's top of our budget so we weren't sure which way to go. Guess fate will decide eh!
Ooo, you got a posh one

Fingers crossed for you
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:55 pm
Playing the game

It's a nice place, just trying not to get too excited with it being early days house hunting

I shall let you know how we get on, now go enjoy some of that sunshine that makes people happy
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a nice place, just trying not to get too excited with it being early days house hunting

I shall let you know how we get on, now go enjoy some of that sunshine that makes people happy

I will later on today. I'm just chilling before my driving lesson
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:41 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Ooo, you got a posh one

Fingers crossed for you
I've yet again dropped our price, we have agreed to have veiwings all over the xmas period if that what it takes to find a buyer, as for price, if its in Perth I would have said offer less than its on for, but because its my house don't just part with what we have said.
Find out if the property has been on long ie over 8 weeks, and if their price was different to start with, some old papers may help with that for you if the agent won't tell. Some areas here just arn't shifting we have dropped 55k so far!!
Jenny
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hi, Pinkie, how are you and hubby ?. From my experience, i would put in asking price, If its wot you won,t try to stop it from going to open, Good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:01 am
Playing the game

Originally Posted by jensteve
I've yet again dropped our price, we have agreed to have veiwings all over the xmas period if that what it takes to find a buyer, as for price, if its in Perth I would have said offer less than its on for, but because its my house don't just part with what we have said.
Find out if the property has been on long ie over 8 weeks, and if their price was different to start with, some old papers may help with that for you if the agent won't tell. Some areas here just arn't shifting we have dropped 55k so far!!
Jenny
Thanks Jenny, I suppose Perth could only boom so far but sorry to hear you've had to drop your price. Where are you moving to? We have checked out the history of the house and very new on the market - we're going to tick to our guns on our budget though as we're in the lucky position of having quite a bit of choice over in sleepy old Adelaide! We'd just like to get somewhere sooner rather than later so we can feel settled again for the first time in six months! Plus the prices are going up all the time. Good luck with your house sale and the move, wherever you end up

Originally Posted by milly123
Hi, Pinkie, how are you and hubby ?. From my experience, i would put in asking price, If its wot you won,t try to stop it from going to open, Good luck.
Hey Zoe, we're great thanks, how about you? We would really like this one but as I said to Jenny, there's quite a bit of choice here if you're not set on any particular area isn't there. How is your move going? On a separate note, am I too late to send you the places in Eden?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Yep doing ok, first christmas and all, moved in the new place now, quite a hard move as we did it all ourselves, we did not take into account the distance and the amount of trips.
keep an open mind with the property, A bit different from the u.k ,like you said lots to choose from. let me know if you need a conveyancer, as the one we just used was cheep and quick. Good luck with it all..
Oh yes eden , we have booked sydney, changed our minds due to time of work . maybe in may we will go. thank,s tho.

Last edited by milly123; Dec 20th 2007 at 12:15 am.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

The house on the corner of our street said 'offers in excess of 320,000' and went for 240,000 (yes, it actually spoke to me). At the end of the day, if it's obviously overpriced, you'd be mad to offer more than they ask.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:23 am
Playing the game

Goodness that was quick! That's the good thing about the way they do things though I suppose. Apparently there's another couple interested in the same house (isn't there always!!) so fingers crossed. If you could let me have the details of your conveyancer that would be brilliant - we got a couple of names off the bank but doesn't hurt to get a couple of quotes does it, thanks for that
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:25 am
Playing the game

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
The house on the corner of our street said 'offers in excess of 320,000' and went for 240,000 (yes, it actually spoke to me). At the end of the day, if it's obviously overpriced, you'd be mad to offer more than they ask.
Thanks Dried Graze (good name btw!), we checked local prices and it doesn't seem to be over priced, it's more how the game is played over here, obviously we don't want to pay more than we have to as we have to furnish the thing if we get it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.