Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purchasing a car

Purchasing a car

Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Smile Purchasing a car

Hi does anyone know if we can buy and insure a car in Victoria on a UK licence?

I called VicRoads this morning to book in to swap our licences but we need a utility bill in our name. We've been here just over a week so we don't have anything yet. Still trying to secure a bloody rental - but that's another story!!!

We bought a car last Saturday and we pick it up this coming Saturday once we've arranged insurance - I just wasn't sure about the licence thing.

cheers,

Shelley
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing a car

Yes you can

Originally Posted by sheli0508

I called VicRoads this morning to book in to swap our licences but we need a utility bill in our name. We've been here just over a week so we don't have anything yet. Still trying to secure a bloody rental - but that's another story!!!

We bought a car last Saturday and we pick it up this coming Saturday once we've arranged insurance - I just wasn't sure about the licence thing.

cheers,

Shelley
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Hi Shelley

Can you get a letter from the owner/landlord or where you are staying now just to say that that is your current home address and that all the bills are included in the rent so you don't have any utility bills. I do it for our clients all the time.

Andy
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Yep I did.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:23 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

cheers,

Shelley
Hi the RACV do this no bother

Dont go rushing to get visit VicRoads you will be sick of them soon enough.

You dont need insurance to pick up the car , it should have a bit of rego on it . The car yard help you on this.

You can drive on your UK licence for 3 months, best of luck with the rental if you tell me the areas you are looking for I might be able to piont you right.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hi the RACV do this no bother

Dont go rushing to get visit VicRoads you will be sick of them soon enough.

You dont need insurance to pick up the car , it should have a bit of rego on it . The car yard help you on this.

You can drive on your UK licence for 3 months, best of luck with the rental if you tell me the areas you are looking for I might be able to piont you right.
Thanks for the replies...

We are, for the moment, down on the Nepean Hwy in Frankston. Trying to get a rental... but that's another story:curse:....

We've got quotes online for insurance... I thought it would have to be insured when we pick it up - same as the UK?

Rego? Is that the same as road tax?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:01 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Rego can largely be considered to be simialr to car tax yes. It is an annual payment and you pay for Complusory Third Party insurance at the same time (CTP)