Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:48 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Ermm the fact that by October Brass Monkeys are buying up entire stocks of braising rodss to re-attach there 'appendages'
OK
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

So what are the 'non-religious' made to suffer for as well??? - Whole point of a public holiday is to enjoy the time off work, and if I choose to enjoy it with a couple of pints and a bar meal then why not? I'm sure (as in the UK) there are enough staff willing to work it for the extra dosh - don't penalise us non religious people because some choose to believe a bloke was nailed to a X
Follow that logic to its conclusion and we wouldn't have public holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Let's call it a quid pro quo (and get the beers in on Thursday).

Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:01 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I got so used to not working Bank Holidays in Australia (I worked in retail) also got used to no Sundays too!

Came to England and we work bank hols, sundays and even opened boxing day! :scared:

I worked today - wasn't really a choice, no other staff and I am the manager, so I got lumbered with it.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:14 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

They are open again today - I feel a case of stubbies coming on
Oh be a devil...Buy a Block!

Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:15 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I have a drink problem

I haven't got any
Never mind Wendz...I'll email you some
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:20 pm
Banned

- don't penalise us non religious people because some choose to believe a bloke was nailed to a X
Not to get into a religious debate but I think you will find that historians accept the crucifixion of Christ as an historical fact and not a fable or story.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:28 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by harveyhare
At least you can get a meal! Adelaide is like a friggin ghost town.

Di

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
No change there then

Jim
Nup..

Change.. Adelaide... NO WAY
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:52 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Not to get into a religious debate but I think you will find that historians accept the crucifixion of Christ as an historical fact and not a fable or story.
And best of luck to them - nice that they can justify their jobs
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:17 am
Banned

And best of luck to them - nice that they can justify their jobs
LOL. Well you have to do something with a Masters or PhD in History don't you? aside from wax plant leaves in a museum

I think pollies are the leaders at overvaluing their jobs and other general propaganda though.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Surely there's more to life than pubs?

in a word, yes
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:50 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Yes but dont you think it's a massive coincidence that he was born on christmas day?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:52 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Follow that logic to its conclusion and we wouldn't have public holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Let's call it a quid pro quo (and get the beers in on Thursday).

Precisely - I wasn't expecting any thanks for my original post, just stating my belief that we can probably manage without the "pubs" opening on 2 days out of 365. Buy your beer earlier, perhaps?

This is a bit like people needing to shop at the corner supermarket on Christmas Day afternoon because they can't think to do it beforehand.

I have no religious axe to grind here - and I can't even remember the last time I went to church - but I expect that there is a huge catholic community in Australia as well as many other countries throughout the world who would hope that for just 2 days in the year - Good Friday and Christmas Day - can be retained as days when we can all, at least, reflect on where we have originated from and what our lives mean to us, beer or no beer.

If that sounds all "happy-clappy" it is not meant to be.

That's me done on this one

Jim.......... with a alongside
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a question of familiarity, as ever - we are used to being able to do something, or go somewhere, and when you start to feel at home in Australia sometimes you forget that its a different country, and so you forget that you need to plan your life by different rules.
I guess, if anything, that shows that the person feels at home here and has stopped thinking "I'm in a different land" all the time.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:08 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Precisely - I wasn't expecting any thanks for my original post, just stating my belief that we can probably manage without the "pubs" opening on 2 days out of 365. Buy your beer earlier, perhaps?

This is a bit like people needing to shop at the corner supermarket on Christmas Day afternoon because they can't think to do it beforehand.

I have no religious axe to grind here - and I can't even remember the last time I went to church - but I expect that there is a huge catholic community in Australia as well as many other countries throughout the world who would hope that for just 2 days in the year - Good Friday and Christmas Day - can be retained as days when we can all, at least, reflect on where we have originated from and what our lives mean to us, beer or no beer.

If that sounds all "happy-clappy" it is not meant to be.

That's me done on this one

Jim.......... with a alongside
It's only 'holy' to those who believe it. The pubs open on Muslim holy days don't they? it's dual standards if you ask me lol. - I just wanted a couple of pints and a bar meal after I'd planned a trip out to a nice pub, a 90 minute drive away. I don't care what the public holiday is for as long as someone is prepared to work on it for my entertainment
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by arkon
Yes but dont you think it's a massive coincidence that he was born on christmas day?
He wasn't actually. he was born sometime in August. Dec 25 was chosen as the day to mark his birth as it fell on a pagan festival, same as easter. Christians were persecuted in those days and so had to be discreet or risk imprisonment or death. The easter bunny and eggs are actually to do with fertility ( a pagan thing).

Xmas day just became a vehicle for capitalist enterprise, like mother's day, father's day etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.