British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pubs-shut-good-friday-what-other-days-367484/)

annqldau Apr 14th 2006 8:48 am

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Word of warning to anyone about to emigrate we just found out today all pubs in Queensland shut on Good Friday ruins a tradition of bank holiday drinking... :( .

So what other day do all the pubs shut???

Wendy Apr 14th 2006 8:49 am

Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by annqldau
Word of warning to anyone about to emigrate we just found out today all pubs in Queensland shut on Good Friday ruins a tradition of bank holiday drinking... :( .

Well that's just not on !!

Do they do that in South Australia too anyone??

232Bar Apr 14th 2006 8:57 am

Surely that's what the 'pub' in public holiday stands for isn't it???

KayC Apr 14th 2006 9:02 am

I think from what I remember - more things are shut on Good Friday than on Christmas Day!

irishbloo Apr 14th 2006 9:05 am

I used to hate Good Friday in Ireland when i was younger,i know shame on me.All the pubs shut,off licenses, nearly all the shops,cinemas shut.all that you could do was go to church about 3 times and pray.The only treat that you were allowed was a hot cross bun. irishbloo

Pollyana Apr 14th 2006 9:08 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I used to hate Good Friday in Ireland when i was younger,i know shame on me.All the pubs shut,off licenses, nearly all the shops,cinemas shut.all that you could do was go to church about 3 times and pray.The only treat that you were allowed was a hot cross bun. irishbloo

Sounds like Queensland :D

Vash the Stampede Apr 14th 2006 9:18 am

Surely there's more to life than pubs? :confused:

Wendy Apr 14th 2006 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

:scared:

Vash the Stampede Apr 14th 2006 9:22 am

Originally Posted by WendyC
:scared:

:rolleyes:

irishbloo Apr 14th 2006 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

of course there is.all im saying when i was younger Good Friday was a very strange day.we werent allowed to play music or eat anything other then our main meals.It was a very quiet day that you spent most of the day going back and fourth to the church. irishbloo

JAYMAC Apr 14th 2006 9:39 am

Would have to add to the warning that the shops are all shut too. I didnt realise and thought it was just Easter Sunday they closes and I promised the kids that they could go and get cookie mixture, biscuit cutters etc to have an Easter Baking Day. Wondered why Coles car park was empty.

Never mind, will know next year.

Jaymac x

worzel Apr 14th 2006 10:12 am

You can only drink with a meal in Perth today.

harveyhare Apr 14th 2006 11:00 am

Originally Posted by worzel
You can only drink with a meal in Perth today.

At least you can get a meal! Adelaide is like a friggin ghost town.

Di

madsad Apr 14th 2006 11:39 am

That just sucks eh!!....p!ssed us off, everyone back home would be having a good time & its as if OZ is in complete lock down!!!!

We moved house yesterday,looking forward to a big food shop today(totally unaware :eek: ) & a big reward of a booze up after the last few days :rolleyes: thank **** i had a case of vino in the fridge,no food just wine :D hubby wisnae chuffed though :p (only had 1/2 bottle of vody in fridge!!)

Donna.

biggy Apr 14th 2006 11:41 am

Good Friday is HHUUGGGGEEEEEE here seems that everything is shut...but then we learned from last year and stocked up on booze lol