Reload this Page >

Psychology Degree

Psychology Degree

Old Mar 10th 2024, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

S17150271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Psychology Degree

Hello Everyone
I have recently done an MSc in Psychology Conversion course in the UK, but have just received Australian PR and thinking of relocating in 3 years. Meanwhile, I am planning on becoming a psychologist to work either as a therapist or academic. Would I be able to become a registered psychologist in Australia if I do a PhD in the UK and then move to Australia?

I already have a BEng, MSc and PhD in Engineering and have been working as a university lecturer in the UK, but I want to follow my passion and become a psychologist!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 11th 2024, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Psychology Degree

Check out AHPRA - not sure that a conversion course would do it because it used to be 4 years psychology at uni (ie hons) but I think they might have slammed a Masters on top of that. If you got a PhD in clinical or something like that you should be OK but AHPRA are the people to deal with (good luck with that, they are more likely to make you want to slit your wrists!!!). Then there is the interim registration thing to deal with - finding an employer who would take on a provisionally registered psych with all the hoo haa that entails. That may depend on which branch of psychology you wish to follow though from what you have said it is likely to be clinical or counselling. There are more psychologists to the square inch in Australia than anywhere else in the world I think. We must all be mad.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Check out AHPRA - not sure that a conversion course would do it because it used to be 4 years psychology at uni (ie hons) but I think they might have slammed a Masters on top of that. If you got a PhD in clinical or something like that you should be OK but AHPRA are the people to deal with (good luck with that, they are more likely to make you want to slit your wrists!!!). Then there is the interim registration thing to deal with - finding an employer who would take on a provisionally registered psych with all the hoo haa that entails. That may depend on which branch of psychology you wish to follow though from what you have said it is likely to be clinical or counselling. There are more psychologists to the square inch in Australia than anywhere else in the world I think.

We must all be mad.
Had to chime in to that one, sitting on my beautifully chilly Brighton beach..........one year since I left that hideous humidity, and I know I feel much saner
Old Mar 13th 2024, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Had to chime in to that one, sitting on my beautifully chilly Brighton beach..........one year since I left that hideous humidity, and I know I feel much saner
Thats fab news, I was down “South” last week and visited Barton on sea (Dorset)I just sat on the beach having a coffee from a lovely coffee shop and felt “everything” melt away lol I just love being near the sea and I even watched “diamonds on the sea” that’s what my dad (when I was a youngster)use to call it when the sun was shinning on the sea, use to go ti
the ocean in Australia which was a nice thing todo but it just feels better here. Glad you a happy x
Old Mar 14th 2024, 5:04 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Thats fab news, I was down “South” last week and visited Barton on sea (Dorset)I just sat on the beach having a coffee from a lovely coffee shop and felt “everything” melt away lol I just love being near the sea and I even watched “diamonds on the sea” that’s what my dad (when I was a youngster)use to call it when the sun was shinning on the sea, use to go ti
the ocean in Australia which was a nice thing todo but it just feels better here. Glad you a happy x
Barton-on-Sea is a lovely spot, isn't it. I adore spending time watching the sea here, seeing how the colours and the waves change constantly, and watching sunsets is always a joy. I agree it seems better to watch than the Aussie sea, almost seems to have more character to it, I was never one for lying on the beach watching the surf, much prefer sitting on the benches here with a book gazing out over what seem to be less predictable waves.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 3:28 am
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia already has an oversupply of psychologists. It is also a small continent far from everywhere and everything in the global scheme and the isolation can be keenly felt at times.

Our universities and technological institutes here turn out new psychologists as if they were on assembly lines. Many end up working for HR departments in large companies, often as not making the employees' lives a misery with 'wellness' programs or doing the dirty work for management when the time comes to terminate or lay off staff. They are now as "employer game players" and from this term you can well imagine they are not exactly a respected species.

I say this with some (indirect) experience. Friends have several kids with 'certificates' who are struggling to find work. A few have tried private practice but this can be a minefield. One does contract work for government agencies but often as not ends up counseling problem unemployed or criminals who are awaiting their sentencing by a court. He also preaches "wounded child" theories which may do well with trying to convince magistrates not to send the accused to prison but doesn't seem to go anywhere beyond New Age ideas. He is always interesting, even entertaining to talk to, but, well.

If you have good (degree) qualifications as you seem to, I reckon you will do better where you are now than here.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck in your future. If you opt to come to Australia, you will be welcome and I am sure most Aussies will do all we can to try to make you feel at home. But you should realistically consider the downsides before you make your decision.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 4:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Haha you would have hated this summer, been here 23 years and this has been the worse by far
Old Mar 15th 2024, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by themerlin
Haha you would have hated this summer, been here 23 years and this has been the worse by far
I know! I've been watching it from afar and thanking my lucky stars I left when I did!
Old Mar 27th 2024, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnder69
Australia already has an oversupply of psychologists. It is also a small continent far from everywhere and everything in the global scheme and the isolation can be keenly felt at times.

Our universities and technological institutes here turn out new psychologists as if they were on assembly lines. Many end up working for HR departments in large companies, often as not making the employees' lives a misery with 'wellness' programs or doing the dirty work for management when the time comes to terminate or lay off staff. They are now as "employer game players" and from this term you can well imagine they are not exactly a respected species.

I say this with some (indirect) experience. Friends have several kids with 'certificates' who are struggling to find work. A few have tried private practice but this can be a minefield. One does contract work for government agencies but often as not ends up counseling problem unemployed or criminals who are awaiting their sentencing by a court. He also preaches "wounded child" theories which may do well with trying to convince magistrates not to send the accused to prison but doesn't seem to go anywhere beyond New Age ideas. He is always interesting, even entertaining to talk to, but, well.

If you have good (degree) qualifications as you seem to, I reckon you will do better where you are now than here.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck in your future. If you opt to come to Australia, you will be welcome and I am sure most Aussies will do all we can to try to make you feel at home. But you should realistically consider the downsides before you make your decision.
Very much the case. Australian universities have indeed become conveyer belts. ,This is especially so sense the commodification of education and with the dependence of International students as a major source of revenue. As mentioned in a few posts psychologists are everywhere, too often attempting to set themselves up as a business in the hope of earning big bucks or in positions making other's lives less 'serene'. Many do counselling or in the drug area (one area in Australia exploding)

I'd agree considering the surplus in this area that UK may well prove better . But with austerity I'm unsure just how much money is around to pay these positions.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. The English seaside is rather nice. I'll be down in Eastbourne later this summer and attempt to capture a vibe as to the desirability of living there abouts. Perth I have my doubts as to it being a place able to live in anymore. Intend to check out Norfolk as well , so we shall see.
Old Mar 28th 2024, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Indeed. The English seaside is rather nice. I'll be down in Eastbourne later this summer and attempt to capture a vibe as to the desirability of living there abouts. Perth I have my doubts as to it being a place able to live in anymore. Intend to check out Norfolk as well , so we shall see.
We also love Norfolk and North Suffolk, Southwold being our favourite place in Suffolk you have “big skys” in that part of the world, hope you have a lovely time. ps a friend of a friend etc has sold her home in Perth Wa to move overseas so I looked online (curiosity got me lol) and I could not believe the asking price, now I know things change but this area was really not great at all “back then” must be laughing all the way to the bank and the some. How can people afford it?
Old Mar 28th 2024, 4:55 pm
Home and Happy

We also love Norfolk and North Suffolk, Southwold being our favourite place in Suffolk you have “big skys” in that part of the world, hope you have a lovely time. ps a friend of a friend etc has sold her home in Perth Wa to move overseas so I looked online (curiosity got me lol) and I could not believe the asking price, now I know things change but this area was really not great at all “back then” must be laughing all the way to the bank and the some. How can people afford it?
They can't
Hence families in tents, horrific queues for rentals, families sharing homes, and lots of people returning to their home countries.
Old Mar 30th 2024, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They can't
Hence families in tents, horrific queues for rentals, families sharing homes, and lots of people returning to their home countries.
As far as WA goes many can. In fact WA's market is highly attractive to young Eastern Staters. (more than 10,000 arrived last year) On top of that is record immigration into the state (more than 60,000) On the news two days ago was something on local investors in property taking suit cases filled of cash to get ahead of Eastern State investors. Overseas Chinese , paying well over asked amount, further complicating the picture.

Most I've crossed paths with appear to have purchased, waiting for a new build and not in the least bit hard up in many cases. But then WA has the mines along with a large black economy that is best not discussed .

Who does feel the pain though are those already on the margins , along with those impacted by drugs (a massive problem) or increasingly those of a more normal deposition, neither poor or rich but prefer to play a straight bat , who appear ever more disadvantaged in this state.
Old Mar 30th 2024, 1:42 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Who does feel the pain though are those already on the margins , along with those impacted by drugs (a massive problem) or increasingly those of a more normal deposition, neither poor or rich but prefer to play a straight bat , who appear ever more disadvantaged in this state.
And those are the people who will just continue to fall deeper into the bowels of society. I have no idea what the answer could be, but its hard to hear of those who have struggled to make some kind of life constantly falling further and further behind as those with the cash move up in the world.
Would you agree that the gap between the 'Haves' and the 'Never likely to Haves' is growing bigger by the week?
Old Mar 31st 2024, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And those are the people who will just continue to fall deeper into the bowels of society. I have no idea what the answer could be, but its hard to hear of those who have struggled to make some kind of life constantly falling further and further behind as those with the cash move up in the world.
Would you agree that the gap between the 'Haves' and the 'Never likely to Haves' is growing bigger by the week?
I would agree the gap is widening. But reasons not as simple as may first appear, although do play a substantial part. I hold grave fears for the future .