Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Psychology in Australia

Psychology in Australia

Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Psychology in Australia

Hi does anyone know if Australia has any systems which are similar to what the Open University does here in the UK?Becasue i am currently studying psychology with the open university but in a few weeks time will be moving over to australia with my dads job. dont think i could afford the international fees they charge to carry on the course in australia so was just wondering if they have anythink similar?

thanks
Old Sep 21st 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the universities have distance ed courses - Charles Sturt is one that is often used for the humanities but there are loads of others. However, you would still get stung for fees - the size of the fees would depend on what visa you arrive on.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
Hi does anyone know if Australia has any systems which are similar to what the Open University does here in the UK?Becasue i am currently studying psychology with the open university but in a few weeks time will be moving over to australia with my dads job. dont think i could afford the international fees they charge to carry on the course in australia so was just wondering if they have anythink similar?

thanks
Not being a smart arse here just wondering.........
If you are studying with the OU ......... does it matter where you study from ?
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:07 pm
G'day!

FlyingAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi does anyone know if Australia has any systems which are similar to what the Open University does here in the UK?
https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal

Have a look at the above link, but I believe they do not offer BSc Psychology via distant learning.

Regards
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

icklepoyser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I have a BSc Psychology (2:1) a PGCert in Clinical Applications of Psychology and will complete a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology.

Is there a chance i could relocate to Australia and successfully get a job there with these qualifications? The route to becoming qualified there seems pretty similar to over here - I have done the assistant psych route, whilst studying and working etc - it's tough....I hope there's gold at the end of the rainbow

I am also intrigued as to whether the number of psych undergrads is representative of the number who go onto (a) qualify and (b) take up posts and follow the career?

Any advice/help/gentle nudging would be greatly apreciated

many Thanks
Ickle
Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I have BSc Hons in Psychology (but only a Desmond) and a PGCE and 11 years teaching experience (6 in Special Needs), as well as a third of a Masters in SpLD. I would love to become an Educational Psych and was wondering if anyone else is in this field of psych in Aus? They have recently made it a Doctorate course in the UK.......

Itigo
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by itigo
Hi. I have BSc Hons in Psychology (but only a Desmond) and a PGCE and 11 years teaching experience (6 in Special Needs), as well as a third of a Masters in SpLD. I would love to become an Educational Psych and was wondering if anyone else is in this field of psych in Aus? They have recently made it a Doctorate course in the UK.......

Itigo
http://www.apac.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=1050

If you have a look at the website listed above, you might find some info.
What is a Desmond?
Quoll, any ideas why a psych degree is 4 years here and only three in the UK. I also believe that Masters is one year in the U.K. - it is 2 here?

Last edited by debsy; Nov 14th 2008 at 7:22 pm. Reason: additional comments
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
http://www.apac.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=1050

If you have a look at the website listed above, you might find some info.
What is a Desmond?
Quoll, any ideas why a psych degree is 4 years here and only three in the UK. I also believe that Masters is one year in the U.K. - it is 2 here?
All Australian honours degrees are 4 years - the first three are course work and the fourth has a thesis.

Itigo, in Australia we have a breed of "educational psychologists" called School Counsellors (in some states) which generally require at least a 4 year psych qualification (though you can argue equivalence of your UK honours which is still only 3 years) plus teaching qualifications and 3 yrs + experience plus a Masters in School Counselling - the SLD masters may do the trick as long as it has assessment and counselling skills thrown in there somewhere - or could you change focus and get some other skills in there in the remaining two thirds? If you can get registered with your local psych board then you could approach depts of Education and see if they would accept you as a school counsellor - you could be lucky. (Yeah and what is a Desmond?)

Icklepoyser - with a doctorate in Clinical Psych you would be fine for getting a job but afaik it isnt on the list of desired occupations - yes, loads of undergrad psych students and an increasing number of App Psych courses for them to do to go on and practice - I think we have more private practice psychs to the square inch than anywhere else in the world I dont know what that means for your visa chances though! At the moment you dont require a doctorate to practice - you only have to have 4 year training to be registered in most jurisdictions but they are pushing for 5 years which would be at least a masters level.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:46 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a mental health nurse and I'm currently back at uni 2 days per week doing a post graduate diploma in cognitive behavioural therapy.
I spend the rest of the week doing high intensity CBT with people in primary care.
I'm not sure whether I will be able to work as a therapist in Australia and so it's now quite likely I'm going to stay here as I love my job.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to all for referring to my degree as a Desmond - it's otherwise known as a 2.ii (Tutu - get it?!!)............
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry to all for referring to my degree as a Desmond - it's otherwise known as a 2.ii (Tutu - get it?!!)............
LOL Groan!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

lol

I am now a third year B.Psych student and I was thinking about the possibility of a Masters in the UK. Do they do a thesis as part of their three year degree in the U.K.?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future
Question Re: Psychology in Australia

I'm coming to live in Oz in two weeks, I have a BSc Hons Psyc (2:1) a counselling diploma (person centered), a hypnotherapy diploma, a PGCE (further & higher ed) and two years teaching experience since my PGCE. I have been teaching A-Level Psychology (yr 12 & 13) here in the UK, I was wondering if my further & higher ed PGCE will enable me to continue teaching this level or will I require a secondary PGCE? Is there also a governing body I need to contact to get my qualifications assessed? I was also wondering about the possibility of working as a school counsellor? Any info greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

icklepoyser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
I contacted the APS about equivalency and opportunity to practice Clinical Psychology in australia. This is their reply............
In response to your query, to practice as a psychologist in Australia you must hold current registration. The Psychologists Registration Board in each State and Territory determines the requirements for registration. These requirements differ slightly between Boards, but all involve the completion of four full-time years of academic study in psychology and two additional full-time years of postgraduate training or supervised experience. You should contact the Registration Board in the State or Territory in which you intend to seek employment for further information. You can find links to the various registration boards from our Website at <www.psychology.org.au>. Please note that most Registration Boards require applicants with overseas qualifications undergo an Assessment of Psychology Qualifications conducted by the APS, before they are able to apply for registration.

Comprehensive information about the assessment application process and an Assessment of Psychology Qualifications application form can be downloaded from the APS website at www.psychology.org.au by following the headings "Membership" and "Assessing Psychology Qualifications". Please take time to read the Guidelines and Procedures document, as it will answer most queries about the assessment process.

Please note that all assessments are completed on a case-by-case basis and the APS could not determine the comparability of your qualifications until an assessment has been completed. However, it is worth noting that if you have completed a BPS accredited Honours degree, for which on graduation you are eligible for GBR, there is a likely chance that your undergraduate degree will be comparable to an accredited four year sequence of study completed in Australia. With regards to your postgraduate qualification, if you have completed a BPS accredited doctorate programme, it is most likely the qualification will be found to be comparable to postgraduate study completed in Australia.

Finally, with regards to working within the field of clinical psychology, please see the APS College of Clinical Psychologists at http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/cclin/. Alternatively please see http://www.psychology.org.au/medicare/ for further information.

With regards to seeking employment, please see the APS sponsored employment classifieds at http://www.psychxchange.com.au/JobSearch.aspx for further employment opportunities in Australia.

Hope this is helpful to others...

Ickle
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by icklepoyser
Hi all
I contacted the APS about equivalency and opportunity to practice Clinical Psychology in australia. This is their reply............
In response to your query, to practice as a psychologist in Australia you must hold current registration. The Psychologists Registration Board in each State and Territory determines the requirements for registration. These requirements differ slightly between Boards, but all involve the completion of four full-time years of academic study in psychology and two additional full-time years of postgraduate training or supervised experience. You should contact the Registration Board in the State or Territory in which you intend to seek employment for further information. You can find links to the various registration boards from our Website at <www.psychology.org.au>. Please note that most Registration Boards require applicants with overseas qualifications undergo an Assessment of Psychology Qualifications conducted by the APS, before they are able to apply for registration.

Comprehensive information about the assessment application process and an Assessment of Psychology Qualifications application form can be downloaded from the APS website at www.psychology.org.au by following the headings "Membership" and "Assessing Psychology Qualifications". Please take time to read the Guidelines and Procedures document, as it will answer most queries about the assessment process.

Please note that all assessments are completed on a case-by-case basis and the APS could not determine the comparability of your qualifications until an assessment has been completed. However, it is worth noting that if you have completed a BPS accredited Honours degree, for which on graduation you are eligible for GBR, there is a likely chance that your undergraduate degree will be comparable to an accredited four year sequence of study completed in Australia. With regards to your postgraduate qualification, if you have completed a BPS accredited doctorate programme, it is most likely the qualification will be found to be comparable to postgraduate study completed in Australia.

Finally, with regards to working within the field of clinical psychology, please see the APS College of Clinical Psychologists at http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/cclin/. Alternatively please see http://www.psychology.org.au/medicare/ for further information.

With regards to seeking employment, please see the APS sponsored employment classifieds at http://www.psychxchange.com.au/JobSearch.aspx for further employment opportunities in Australia.

Hope this is helpful to others...

Ickle
thanks for posting this. Forwarding to hubby now as he us going through the process of getting his quals assessed. He has two msc's, masters in addiction counselling / psychology and one a master of clinical science, also has 2 years but didn't finish psychotherapy masters. The problem he has over here is that he doesn't have the 4 year psych under grad degree. It will be down to the aps assessnent if he will ever be able to work over here in either field. He is also struggling to get on post grad psych courses to. I hope something comes out of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.