PSS Removals

Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default PSS Removals

Well we have had 4 companies around to quote now and 3 of them- J Masons, D Bonner and Britannia are all spookily similar.

Pss came round Monday, really helpful guy who told me a lot of useful information about what we could and couldn't take, cleaning outdoor items etc. Got the quote through this morning which is really prompt. They are quoting about £250 less than the others and offer 2 weeks free storage, which the others don't.

As I was imprssed with the estimators knowledge and I am a tight wad I think we will go with them.

Has anyone used them - good and bad comments please.

Also the guy told me they have had to turn 2 people away for the end of August as they are so busy. He reckons removals to Aus are increasing like mad! Gotta get out there quick before it fills up too much.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

rimsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PSS Removals

Try Avalong if you are not sure -lots of dramas but first class service when it came to it!

QUOTE]Originally posted by tinaj
Well we have had 4 companies around to quote now and 3 of them- J Masons, D Bonner and Britannia are all spookily similar.

Pss came round Monday, really helpful guy who told me a lot of useful information about what we could and couldn't take, cleaning outdoor items etc. Got the quote through this morning which is really prompt. They are quoting about £250 less than the others and offer 2 weeks free storage, which the others don't.

As I was imprssed with the estimators knowledge and I am a tight wad I think we will go with them.

Also the guy told me they have had to turn 2 people away for the end of August as they are so busy. He reckons removals to Aus are increasing like mad! Gotta get out there quick before it fills up too much. [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going with PSS.

I know they are really busy at the end of August - we agreed to have them come a day later - ie on the date of completion of our sale - as they were struggling to get the resources.

If you are in no particular rush for your stuff to get to Oz, you can save £100 by having the container go via the Panama Canal but it takes 1 week longer. We always wanted to see the Panama Canal but never got the chance - thought I'd let my furniture have the experience on my behalf!!

My god its getting close now.......................
Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We've used Doree Bonner before to Oz so know they're reliable. Knocked £500 off their initial quote this time when we told them we had a cheaper one from Anglo Pacific.

But this time might try Excess - www.excessbaggage.co.uk. They do international container moves too, not just air freight at the airport. Got a good inexpensive quote from them for a 20' container plus some groupage. Also their airfreight is the cheapest and we want to send a few boxes airfreight too - bedding, toys, kitchenware.

Doree Bonner's airfreight was a bit pricey. Overall the Excess quote (container + groupage + airfreight + insurance) comes in £500 cheaper than the reduced DB quote.

I wasn't convinced PSS knew what they were doing when we saw them but that was just my impression.

We are quite cautious as have had a mover go out of business while our stuff was on the way back from Oz. Very lucky to get it at all. Many others not so lucky we heard. All those insurance policies mean nothing if you don't check whether they've actually paid the premium over to the insurer at all...not just pocketed it.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point

We've gone with PSS. They're coming end of this month. Chose them because they had the most competitive quote and were the nicest really, simple as that. Had quotes from Bishops Move, John Masons, Excess Baggage and Britannia I think it was. We're not taking a huge amount of stuff and storing it with them (for free) for a couple of weeks first. Then having it sent to melbourne. All seemed quite straight forward, but ask me again after they've been!
Parrot
Old Aug 7th 2003, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It might be worth me contacting Doree Bonner, I remember them saying something about lowering the price if we get a better quote.

I have Anglo Pacific coming tomorrow, hopefully they will be even cheaper!

It is hard to choose between them really. Some of the estimators have been helpful and informative and some dead-pan and useless.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:38 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: PSS Removals

Originally posted by tinaj

Also the guy told me they have had to turn 2 people away for the end of August as they are so busy. He reckons removals to Aus are increasing like mad! Gotta get out there quick before it fills up too much.
We used PSS and they were great. Had no problems at all at either end. Wouldn't hesitate in recomending them again. Bear in mind they will use an agent the other end and its worth finding out who they are and posting their name here to see if anyone had problems. In NZ it was NZ Van Lines who where just as helpful and efficient as PSS.