Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PSS have now packed us up, but ..... oops!

PSS have now packed us up, but ..... oops!

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:00 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default PSS have now packed us up, but ..... oops!

Hi everyone,

We are now officially homeless. PSS arrived on Thursday morning to pack up our worldly goods and surprisingly enough it was quite relaxing for us. We were well prepared and had sorted all similar items together eg. candles, ornaments, photo frames, books etc. which made packing for them quicker and easier. We had cleared a room and put all our things in there that was not to be packed, closed the door and put a note on saying "Nothing to be packed in this room - please leave". I did the same with a kitchen cupboard which contained food for us and coffee, tea and sugar. And the last one was "Pack contents, leave wardrobe". We'd heard of all the horror stories so thought there'd definitely be no misunderstanding at all. When they arrived we walked them through the house, showed them what had to go and the notes to show what had to stay, everything was pretty self explanatory and it worked so I'd strongly recommend doing something similar.
All I had to do was make the guys tea/coffee every hour or so which was really no effort. We lazed in the garden and whilst we were there one of the fawn's came to eat the fallen apples, totally oblivious to us watching him. So, it was a nice and relaxing day.

Friday the guys arrived early to finish up the packing and at 11am the container arrived. I don't know if all of you know what a container looks like but it's amazing to see your whole household packed into one big metal box. It was actually clean inside and looked pretty new, no holes as we'd heard there might be. They packed all our stuff in and to be honest I thought it definitely wasn't all going to fit in, but hey, it all fitted! It was like watching someone do a jigsaw puzzle. Every little space was filled. The container was full, (really full !), front to back, top to bottom. There should hopefully be no or very little movement internally and I'll let you all know how it travelled when it gets to the other side! When they'd finished packing the container the guys asked if we'd checked the house and that there was nothing more to be packed. I had had a quick walk around earlier and said nope, it's all in. They closed the container with a seal that has a serial number on it. The seal can only be opened with bolt cutters. This is for security and insurance so that they know the container has not been tampered with. It was quite weird to see all our worldly goods sealed with such a little "lock" but it is actually really safe. I took quite a few photo's so will post them once we get our computer unpacked and we're up and running again. The guys then left and we waved our goods goodbye. On returning into the empty house I walked past the cupboard under the stairs, opened the door and..... shock, horror! My heart sank into my stomach and I felt physically sick. There were our two dive bags all on their own. The rest of the contents had all been packed but those two bags were left behind. I couldn't believe it. The guys were already gone, it was too late to try and contact them and besides the container was sealed. The bags are too big to take as hand luggage as we were already at our limit and these bags are approximately 20kg each. I thought of unaccompanied baggage but that's extremely expensive. Mr S phoned PSS and they told us it would cost £170 to ship it, the cheapest they could possibly do for us. I couldn't believe what had happened and I kept torturing myself, playing if over and over in my mind that I should've done that last check. So, be warned... check, check and check again before they seal your container.

As for my emotions... well they've been all over the place this weekend. After the container left I felt okay, stressed about the left bags, but generally okay. When we had completed the check out of the house and we took one last walk around the garden, got into the car and started to drive away the tears started. Next minute, before I could even realise what was going on it was full on sobbing. Why? We've moved so many times before. Mr S seems to be pretty ok and I am normally strong too but this time I've been more than a bit tearful. Sunday night I hardly slept a wink again, even though I'd taken my herbal sleeping tabs. I think my main worry had been these bags. I know it sounds silly but it's just one thing that we didn't need.

Anyway, so Mr S eMailed PSS this morning and guess what... they've wavered the charge and will ship our bags to Perth when they can. All we need to do is get the bags to them which Mr S will do today. How fantastic is that! I just feel that such a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders! So, a big thank you to PSS. They are fab!!!

Well guys and gals, that's all for now and remember check before they seal that container!!!
Sunchaser
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We had stuff left over as well and we used Seven Seas, they were great the stuff got here before the container did, which left 3 weeks earlier!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

PSS doing a good job with customer relations eh ?

Glad you got everything sorted.

About this fawn in the garden, how big was the bloody garden ?

Paul.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:34 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PSS have now packed us up, but ..... oops!

As a fellow diver I can sympathise with your total shock of forgeting your beloved kit. Glad the packing went well and even better that you they are not going to charge for your kit to be sent.

Are you renting or staying with family before you fly out? All the best for your last few wks and the move to Perth. Now they didn't pack your passports, did they?:
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:49 am

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
PSS doing a good job with customer relations eh ?

Glad you got everything sorted.

About this fawn in the garden, how big was the bloody garden ?

Paul.
Hi Paul,

Well erm... yes, it was a rather large garden that will be terribly missed!! The deer family, mum, dad and two babies live at the bottom of it. We also have, (sorry HAD ), foxes, hedgehogs, rabbits and woodpeckers frequenting our garden. Hope we get some wildlife in our new Ozzie garden!!

Sunchaser
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:50 am

Originally posted by walaj
As a fellow diver I can sympathise with your total shock of forgeting your beloved kit. Glad the packing went well and even better that you they are not going to charge for your kit to be sent.

Are you renting or staying with family before you fly out? All the best for your last few wks and the move to Perth. Now they didn't pack your passports, did they?:
Hi Walaj,

Yes it was total shock and horror. :scared: I couldn't do without my diving gear!! The passports and tickets were safely in my handbag in the car - just in case!

We're currently staying in a hotel during the week near work for our last 4 weeks and all weekends we'll be staying with friends and family.

Only 4 weeks to go now!!!
Sunchaser
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hedgehogs............that reminds me, there's a dead one under next doors caravan that absolutely MUST be moved before the kids see it.

Paul.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:32 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Hedgehogs............that reminds me, there's a dead one under next doors caravan that absolutely MUST be moved before the kids see it.

Paul.
Be careful mate. As you are on a caravan park, that could well be someones dinner.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Be careful mate. As you are on a caravan park, that could well be someones dinner.
rather drunk last night so it very nearly ended up on the barbq ( gross ).
If it is someones dinner then they will have to dig it out of the wheelie bin now.
kids can be happy for another day.

Paul.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:38 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

rather drunk last night so it very nearly ended up on the barbq ( gross ).
If it is someones dinner then they will have to dig it out of the wheelie bin now.
kids can be happy for another day.

Paul.
I hope you've dumped it it someone elses wheelie bin - gypsies can be awfully confrontational....
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:50 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved 3 times with PSS and all 3 times they were good.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi everyone,

We are now officially homeless. PSS arrived on Thursday morning to pack up our worldly goods and surprisingly enough it was quite relaxing for us. We were well prepared and had sorted all similar items together eg. candles, ornaments, photo frames, books etc. which made packing for them quicker and easier. We had cleared a room and put all our things in there that was not to be packed, closed the door and put a note on saying "Nothing to be packed in this room - please leave". I did the same with a kitchen cupboard which contained food for us and coffee, tea and sugar. And the last one was "Pack contents, leave wardrobe". We'd heard of all the horror stories so thought there'd definitely be no misunderstanding at all. When they arrived we walked them through the house, showed them what had to go and the notes to show what had to stay, everything was pretty self explanatory and it worked so I'd strongly recommend doing something similar.
All I had to do was make the guys tea/coffee every hour or so which was really no effort. We lazed in the garden and whilst we were there one of the fawn's came to eat the fallen apples, totally oblivious to us watching him. So, it was a nice and relaxing day.

Friday the guys arrived early to finish up the packing and at 11am the container arrived. I don't know if all of you know what a container looks like but it's amazing to see your whole household packed into one big metal box. It was actually clean inside and looked pretty new, no holes as we'd heard there might be. They packed all our stuff in and to be honest I thought it definitely wasn't all going to fit in, but hey, it all fitted! It was like watching someone do a jigsaw puzzle. Every little space was filled. The container was full, (really full !), front to back, top to bottom. There should hopefully be no or very little movement internally and I'll let you all know how it travelled when it gets to the other side! When they'd finished packing the container the guys asked if we'd checked the house and that there was nothing more to be packed. I had had a quick walk around earlier and said nope, it's all in. They closed the container with a seal that has a serial number on it. The seal can only be opened with bolt cutters. This is for security and insurance so that they know the container has not been tampered with. It was quite weird to see all our worldly goods sealed with such a little "lock" but it is actually really safe. I took quite a few photo's so will post them once we get our computer unpacked and we're up and running again. The guys then left and we waved our goods goodbye. On returning into the empty house I walked past the cupboard under the stairs, opened the door and..... shock, horror! My heart sank into my stomach and I felt physically sick. There were our two dive bags all on their own. The rest of the contents had all been packed but those two bags were left behind. I couldn't believe it. The guys were already gone, it was too late to try and contact them and besides the container was sealed. The bags are too big to take as hand luggage as we were already at our limit and these bags are approximately 20kg each. I thought of unaccompanied baggage but that's extremely expensive. Mr S phoned PSS and they told us it would cost £170 to ship it, the cheapest they could possibly do for us. I couldn't believe what had happened and I kept torturing myself, playing if over and over in my mind that I should've done that last check. So, be warned... check, check and check again before they seal your container.

As for my emotions... well they've been all over the place this weekend. After the container left I felt okay, stressed about the left bags, but generally okay. When we had completed the check out of the house and we took one last walk around the garden, got into the car and started to drive away the tears started. Next minute, before I could even realise what was going on it was full on sobbing. Why? We've moved so many times before. Mr S seems to be pretty ok and I am normally strong too but this time I've been more than a bit tearful. Sunday night I hardly slept a wink again, even though I'd taken my herbal sleeping tabs. I think my main worry had been these bags. I know it sounds silly but it's just one thing that we didn't need.

Anyway, so Mr S eMailed PSS this morning and guess what... they've wavered the charge and will ship our bags to Perth when they can. All we need to do is get the bags to them which Mr S will do today. How fantastic is that! I just feel that such a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders! So, a big thank you to PSS. They are fab!!!

Well guys and gals, that's all for now and remember check before they seal that container!!!
Sunchaser

Hi Sunchaser

Are you Paul& Colleen from aussiemove??? I also post on there, i'm Paula recently posted re: Centrelink.

I'm glad you sorted out in problem with the dive bags, but just think in a few months time you can laugh about all the things that have gone wrong, whilst sitting in your new home, having a few beers & a bbq, enjoying your new life down under.

Take care

Paula
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:39 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi SC!

PSS came and did mine on monday, great lads and i could learn a thing or two off them when it comes to wrapping. Glad to hear it all went to plan, well almost. It sounds like you had a day like mine, just sitting back in the garden making drinks.

I really think i under-estimated with my over-estimations, they took 69 packages, and i'm sure half of it wasn't mine.

Anyway, spending a day watching 3 guys burgle the place really hits home on how close the big move is. I'm now at my parents,.... say no more about that eh? i just can't wait to leave already! I need my space back!!!!

Oh yeah, the washer went too. they finally fixed the thing, when the realised some of the parts that had been in the machine since it were built were actually off a different model altogether!! when they put the right parts in the machine ran perfectly! so it all came good in the end. *PHEW!*

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the trip. hope it goes well for you.

Cheers

Leigh... getting depressed at mothers.

PS I WANT MY BROADBAND BACK!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:43 am

Hi Paula,

Yep, I'm Colleen from aussiemove! When I first signed on here it seemed hardly anyone used their own names so I did the same. But now that we've resigned I guess it doesn't matter anymore.
Can't wait to have some wine, cocktails, beer and barbies down under! Bring it on!!!

When are you heading down under?

Colleen
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:46 am

Hey Leigh !!

Glad to hear PSS also packed you up and all went well. Your washer probably decided it didn't want to be left behind so behaved itself. Must've been that excellent discipline of yours that did it!

I tell you I'd rather be staying with parents or in-laws than a hotel like we are. I hate not being able to go into a garden and having only one room that's not big enough to swing a cat in. (Not that I'd do that of course! ) Also, our PC is sailing off to Perth as we speak so I have to grab 5 minutes here and there at work. Very frustrating!!!
We will be partying on weekends and staying with friends and family so I'm living for the weekends!!!

When are you heading off? Are you still working at the moment?

Colleen (aka Sunchaser)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.