PS3 or WII

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice
Default PS3 or WII

Hello all,
As its nearing christmas i was thinking of buying my son a Nintendo WII or a PS3 but does anyone know if they are compatable with Oz games. I know they have area codes and don't want to spend out for either if when we get to Oz next year they are not compatable with their games.
Les
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:22 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PS3 or WII

Originally Posted by Ding Dong
Hello all,
As its nearing christmas i was thinking of buying my son a Nintendo WII or a PS3 but does anyone know if they are compatable with Oz games. I know they have area codes and don't want to spend out for either if when we get to Oz next year they are not compatable with their games.
Les

we have a wii and i would go for that over anything everytime

you can get them region free if they have been modded (ours has)
it lets you play back up games so it works out a lot cheaper
they can be a little more expensive to buy but you make your money back ten times over (what you save buying the games)

my hubbys mate has one for sale with 25 games for £350+ delivery if your interested

jan x
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Hello all,
Les

Long term it has to be the PS3, give it a couple of years and the Wii will be an antique. If you just want something short term which you can have a bit of fun with (and get bored), then maybe the Wii will do.

I'm not being biased in any way, just personal opinion of sopmeone who has both.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We have a PS3 which the kids adore. I'm not into the whole game thing at all, but I must admit the graphics are pretty incredible. We bought it here though (had a couple of weeks of living in a practically empty house before our stuff arrived so thought we'd be nice to the kids) so obviously we are buying Oz games for it. The whole compatibility thing is a nightmare - we have some DVD players which play all regions, some play only UK DVDs, same with game consoles. You never had those issues with a wooden train set
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

what about an xbox360? far more games than a ps3 and far better than a wii.....and the bonus of the xbox live experiance
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
we have everything Nintendo in our house!

If you have a UK or European Wii console it will work with Australian games. We brought ours with us and have bought Australian wii games no problem. You dont need to get anything done/chipped etc.

Also your relatives can send or bring wii games over if you buy an OZ wii console. OZ and UK wii consoles are the same PAL system

Also Nintendo DS can play games from any country as region free.

The wii is quite compact so my son brought it in his handluggage!

I know nothing of Playstation.

GEMS
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:59 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Les
We have PS3 Australian, its region coded for movies, and unfortunately theres no known unlock code or procedure at this time.
Games are region free, and backwards compliant, so all old PS2 uk games will work on a Australian PS3 and vice versa.

The benefit of the PS3, is 1080p upscaling for DVD's and BluRay connectivity ( inc HDMI )

Hence we opted for this, as we are movie buffs, as well as allowing the kids to enjoy stunnign gameplay.

hope this helps, and just so you know.. Hardly Normals ( oz ) are selling PS3 for about $699 i think at the moment.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:17 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
We have PS3 Australian, its region coded for movies, and unfortunately theres no known unlock code or procedure at this time.
Games are region free, and backwards compliant, so all old PS2 uk games will work on a Australian PS3 and vice versa.

The benefit of the PS3, is 1080p upscaling for DVD's and BluRay connectivity ( inc HDMI )

Hence we opted for this, as we are movie buffs, as well as allowing the kids to enjoy stunnign gameplay.

hope this helps, and just so you know.. Hardly Normals ( oz ) are selling PS3 for about $699 i think at the moment.
They've changed them now though, haven't they? We were told that the new cheaper PS3s won't play PS2 games.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks,
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:21 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Not aware of that

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=255885

http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/M...s=20&dm=1&pd=3

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/Q6T6G3N6
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:44 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

I think this was the case with the inital release, however, the price has been dropped and it's been de-featured.

We were told this in Harvey Norman. They said the older versions wer now unavailable and they wouldn't play the PS2 games. I think the memory capacity has been lowered as well.

Jules
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by julesandco
I think this was the case with the inital release, however, the price has been dropped and it's been de-featured.

We were told this in Harvey Norman. They said the older versions wer now unavailable and they wouldn't play the PS2 games. I think the memory capacity has been lowered as well.

Jules
rings a bell, cos isnt the new one 20 gig?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:53 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
rings a bell, cos isnt the new one 20 gig?
Yep, Sony realised that the console was way too expensive so they downgraded the Hard Disk Drive and removed the backwards compatibility.

They aren't offering the old style PS3 in Australia once the remaining stocks have gone (they might have all gone already).

Other countries still have all versions of the console but they decided not to offer this in Australia (and the UK I think) as too many people were going for the cheaper consoles.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:45 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to go with the PS3 mostly for playing Blu Ray movies (athough Guitar Hero III is amazing on it). We also got a Wii as the family console as we prefer the gameplay on that for the kids - seeing my then 3yo doing boxing on the Wii is the funniest thing ever and you don't get that kind of fun with any other of the systems around.

The expensive option certainly, but OH had promised himself the PS3 for ages and we nagged him for ages to get the Wii Girl Power.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:06 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We just got a Wii about 2 weeks ago. So far we love it. We've also went with Nintendo so I can't really give a comparison. I love playing Zelda, Mario, etc, so I always go with Nintendo.

As herrchook said it is great for the kids. Here's a video of my 3 year old (almost 4) boxing on the Wii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUcDuw_66os

She was more concerned with the camera than the boxing, but you still get the idea. She kicked out butts the very first time we played! She can also bowl and golf, although the tennis is a bit too hard for her.

I'd say if you've got young kids then the Wii would be great, but if your kids are older than it could go either way. I'd look at the games for both systems and see what you'd like to play the most.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the wii is really good. My kids howl with laughter watching their mum do the boxing! But Im rather nifty at the tennis.

GEMS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.