Ps2

Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough
Default Ps2

Hi, anyone out there know if Playstation 2 will work in Sydney?

Planning on getting the kids one for Christmas, heard that we

may need to have it 'chipped'
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

We were going to do that also but then we found out that Australia is region 4 dvd and the UK is region two.

We decided to wait until we got there to get it.

Debs
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by debsy
We were going to do that also but then we found out that Australia is region 4 dvd and the UK is region two.

We decided to wait until we got there to get it.

Debs
Thanks Debs, I figured it would be different for Playstation as I know that our DVDs wont work on a DVD player over there. Probably should wait like you, but really struggling over what to buy them for Christmas.... PS2 seemed like a great idea to keep them off MY computer...
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:27 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a search.

From what I read, for £20 you can get a disk or something to convert your playstation to read all regions. That might even be the case for DVD players, you could look into that to, be a shame to give away a load of DVD's for the sake of £20.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Bought PS2 last Chrimbo in the UK, works fine out here. Plays games bought in the Uk & out here, plus DVDs from the local video hire shop.

Loopy
Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:41 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Loopy
Bought PS2 last Chrimbo in the UK, works fine out here. Plays games bought in the Uk & out here, plus DVDs from the local video hire shop.

Loopy

another dilemma, whether to buy a new region free dvd player or a ps2.

if it was left to me i think it would be the ps2, but then the bird will want some input!

Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:45 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
another dilemma, whether to buy a new region free dvd player or a ps2.

if it was left to me i think it would be the ps2, but then the bird will want some input!

Buy a Gamecube instead! Its much more fun and they've just come down in price. You can get them for about £70 now.

Jane
Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:50 pm
WBB

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Buy a Gamecube instead! Its much more fun and they've just come down in price. You can get them for about £70 now.

Jane

but they don't play dvd's..do they?

Old Dec 5th 2003, 7:20 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

but they don't play dvd's..do they?
OK, buy a multiregion DVD player and a Gamecube!

Jane
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:28 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

multiregion dvd players are like £30/£40 from argos. I've got one and works fine....

so buy the ps2 and the dvd player...

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this sometime baqck where someone posted the official word from Sony, which if i remember correctly was that the games work anywhere and are region free, whereas the dvd part is *supposed* to only play the dvds from the region it originally came from. but you can get the CD's etc to make it play any region dvds...

then again, the whole DVD region thing seems to be falling away, so maybe thats why Loopy's Ps2 plays Aus DVDs - maybe sony have changed it?
Old Dec 6th 2003, 1:35 pm
WBB

Originally posted by jandjuk
multiregion dvd players are like £30/£40 from argos. I've got one and works fine....

so buy the ps2 and the dvd player...

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this sometime baqck where someone posted the official word from Sony, which if i remember correctly was that the games work anywhere and are region free, whereas the dvd part is *supposed* to only play the dvds from the region it originally came from. but you can get the CD's etc to make it play any region dvds...

then again, the whole DVD region thing seems to be falling away, so maybe thats why Loopy's Ps2 plays Aus DVDs - maybe sony have changed it?

does anyone know if you can play vcd's on a ps2?

Old Dec 6th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Funny you should ask that,my daughter borrowed one today of Lord of the rings, Two Towers. It asked for a format disc & wouldn't play so I guess the answer is no, unless you've got a format disc!

Loopy
Old Dec 6th 2003, 1:44 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Loopy
Funny you should ask that,my daughter borrowed one today of Lord of the rings, Two Towers. It asked for a format disc & wouldn't play so I guess the answer is no, unless you've got a format disc!

Loopy

i wonder though if they are like dvd players where you can press a few buttons to unlock the ability to play vcd's?

i have just unlocked my dvd player just by pressing a few buttons on the remote control.

Old Dec 6th 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Will have a fiddle tomorrow - she's asleep at the mo. Will let you know!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

craigstacey is an unknown quantity at this point

i wonder though if they are like dvd players where you can press a few buttons to unlock the ability to play vcd's?

i have just unlocked my dvd player just by pressing a few buttons on the remote control.
No go on vcd's/svcd's for ps2 - xbox will play divx with a chip and 'mediaplayer' disc or so I'm told...

Prefer fish with my chips thou!!