Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please Advise About Shipping of Electronic Goods??

Please Advise About Shipping of Electronic Goods??

Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:34 am
skbn136app

Question Please Advise About Shipping of Electronic Goods??

Hello,

I have applied for BN136 this september and hope of getting the visa by 2004 end. Please advise whether the Electronic Goods like TV,Microwave etc are transported safely. I am also planning to upgrade my existing electronic items to newer ones. Please advise if am taking a risk? My shippers would be Circle Freight.

Regards

skbn136app

Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Please Advise About Shipping of Electronic Goods??

Originally posted by skbn136app
Hello,

I have applied for BN136 this september and hope of getting the visa by 2004 end. Please advise whether the Electronic Goods like TV,Microwave etc are transported safely. I am also planning to upgrade my existing electronic items to newer ones. Please advise if am taking a risk? My shippers would be Circle Freight.

Regards

skbn136app
I moved TV's, Video, HiFi, Microwave, FridgeFreezer, etc all with no problems.

But the TV & video needed work done so that they could pick up local broadcasts, and the TV subsequently died. There is another thread somewhere about that and the reasons why.

I would suggest buying a new TV here, especially if you are thinking of upgrading.

Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi skbn

moved to Victoria in Jan 2003. Shipped all our stuff using local firm in UK.

All of our electrical stuff works no problem, that includeds fridge, freezer, microwave, lamps, and hifi stuff.

Video and TV's will not pick up Aus TV , although I understand the very latest UK TV's might. Still work for playing videos though, and I also understand that it is possible to get the tuners changed on either video or TV or both.

Also shipped over a number of computers and accessories like scanners etc. All work perfectly.

Was a bit worried because Aus plugs have no fuse in them, so have kept UK plugs on all sensitive equipment like computer systems and connected them by putting an Aus plug on a UK strip board that is also protected by a fuse.

Dont let anyone tell you that UK freezers and fridges are not up to the task in Aus, ours have worked perfectly and when we first got here there were several days in the 40's....

Hope this helps

Hello,

Regards

skbn136app
Old Dec 21st 2003, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Regards

skbn136app

Bring as much as you can, electrical equipment is not cheap, not any cheaper than the UK really, if you had to start again from scratch it will cost you a fortune. We bought a new TV here, had a 51cm TV in England, but the rooms in Australian homes tend to be much larger, you could hardly see it !!!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

For prices check out www.binglee.com.au . Their motto is everything is negotiable so a cashed up expat with plenty to buy can knock a few dollars off. I would advise getting a new efficient fridge as the summer heat is something else. Plus get a large fridge as you need the space for cases of beer and wine.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
For prices check out www.binglee.com.au . Their motto is everything is negotiable so a cashed up expat with plenty to buy can knock a few dollars off. I would advise getting a new efficient fridge as the summer heat is something else. Plus get a large fridge as you need the space for cases of beer and wine.

Thanks for that link! I've not come across this place before, I usually look at Dick Smiths or Tandy.

Sandy
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Another is Harvey Norman

There is also the Good Guys but the advert scares me.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
Another is Harvey Norman

There is also the Good Guys but the advert scares me.
Just had the pleasure of the ad off the website!

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:08 am
ABCDiamond

Good Guys and Binglee are both VERY negotiable on prices, and will do whatever they can to beat each other !!

I found Harvey Norman not quite as flexible on prices.

When we told the Good Guys salesmen that we had sold all our stuff and would have to be buying everything again, over a period of time, he gave even better pricing.

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Our tv arrived with our furniture last wednesday, we took it out of the box and plugged it in and it worked no problem, picture, sound and everything, alas it can do nothing about the crap programmes but you cant have everything.

LYNN
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:43 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Not sure if these are just WA or whole of Australia:

www.retravision.com.au
www.bettaelectrical.com.au

Cheap furniture (WA only)

www.pamsfurniture.com.

And while we are at it

www.target.com.au
www.kmart.com.au
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:44 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Sorry, that should read

www.pamsfurniture.com.au
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cherry6
Not sure if these are just WA or whole of Australia:

www.retravision.com.au
www.bettaelectrical.com.au
Those two are also in QLD. Smaller shops than Good Guys, but not to bad on prices.

Also: www.biriteelectrical.com.au good for checking prices online.

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Just to re-iterate everyone else ( and get my post count up!!), Bring as much as you can. We dumped TVs and videos but they were pretty old anyway.

Replacement costs

Sony Flat Screen 68cm $1350

Sony 6 head video $340

Sony DVD $220

614L fridge freezer (ice/water) silver $2640

Whirlpool 5.5 Kg washer $775 ($150 waterwise rebate to follow)

All this was Retravision and prices were negotiated. As you can see it ain't cheap. The buggers managed to slip on a $20 delivery charge without me noticing. I'm sure I could have done better.

By all means bring fridges but realise they are built to a different standard here with thicker walls and bigger compressors. If nothing else you could always use it as a bar fridge! Same goes for washing machines. Basically if you've got good kit then try and bring it with you.

Cheers
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:40 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring some buzz bar things with you - those 4-way or 6-way plug bars with an extension lead. That way you won't have to spend your first few months endlessly changing plugs over and it's handy when friends from the UK come to stay too...

TV's are a problem, several threads will tell you more, I replied on this one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=196268