Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proving English Language

Proving English Language

Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:12 am
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all
Question Proving English Language

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and I am currently completing my 136 VISA application forms myself. Skills Assessment already submitted and expect to be back around June/July (hopefully with a positive response)!

Was looking at some of the documentation yesterday and especially the bit on English skills. Both my wife and I are born and bred in England so no problems there. But Booklet6 states that you must provide evidence that you are a native English speaker. Will we need to take the IELTS exam to prove this??

Anyone have any comment to put my mind at rest?

Thanks,

IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving English Language

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and I am currently completing my 136 VISA application forms myself. Skills Assessment already submitted and expect to be back around June/July (hopefully with a positive response)!

Was looking at some of the documentation yesterday and especially the bit on English skills. Both my wife and I are born and bred in England so no problems there. But Booklet6 states that you must provide evidence that you are a native English speaker. Will we need to take the IELTS exam to prove this??

Thanks,

IanJakeCharlieDaddy

If you are a British Citizen and was born here then you do not need to prove your english capability.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:13 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Thanks,

IanJakeCharlieDaddy

Your English education certificates are proof of competency in English. No-one asked us to prove we could speak the language.

Last edited by SunshineGirl; Apr 14th 2006 at 11:23 am.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

What about brummies, scoussers and people from Leicester
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Tony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Your English education certificates are proof of competancy in English. No-one asked us to prove we could speak the language.
I was asked by my agent to provide my GCSE english certificate...
It did show I got a C in English Langauage but an E in English Literature, so I can obviously speak and write it but can't put down on paper what a dead poet really mean't in their poems!!! Lord knows how my incompetent teacher knew, must have read it in a book.
Anyway it was a long time ago and as you can tell I'm not bitter.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony Po
I was asked by my agent to provide my GCSE english certificate...
It did show I got a C in English Langauage but an E in English Literature, so I can obviously speak and write it but can't put down on paper what a dead poet really mean't in their poems!!! Lord knows how my incompetent teacher knew, must have read it in a book.
Anyway it was a long time ago and as you can tell I'm not bitter.

We were not asked to provide any certificates or anything
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:26 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WendyC
We were not asked to provide any certificates or anything

Hi there, My husband's accountancy certificates were enough for him and I had to provide my school exam results (from many many years ago!!)
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:28 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PJA
Hi there, My husband's accountancy certificates were enough for him and I had to provide my school exam results (from many many years ago!!)
My accountancy certificates were enough for me too but hubby wasn't asked to provide anything.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's really weird that they seem to have different rules for the same type of thing
Unless it's to do with which visa you apply for.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Proving English Language

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
What about brummies, scoussers and people from Leicester
And worra bout folk from the Black Coontray?!

I can just imagine the scene at Customs...

"Orroit, mo mon? 'ow long ar yow gooing to mooch in moi looggage?"

Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:16 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

We sent our English GCSE certificates from school.

Claire
x

Thanks,

IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:27 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
It's really weird that they seem to have different rules for the same type of thing
Unless it's to do with which visa you apply for.
think it depends on the agent. we were never asked to provide any exam results/paperwork, except hubbies certificates for his apprenticeship.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
think it depends on the agent. we were never asked to provide any exam results/paperwork, except hubbies certificates for his apprenticeship.
Yep, same here
Old Apr 14th 2006, 5:45 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

Thank-you all.

Seems like providing some GCSE cert's should do the job just to cover our backs!

This will probably be the first of many questions that I hope you won't get too bored with.

IanJakeCharlieDaddy.