Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Protect your Mobile number

Protect your Mobile number

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Protect your Mobile number

From next month all Australian phone numbers have been sold off which means any telemarketing company has access to them, to stop these companies getting your number and hassling you call this number, which has been setup by the government and register with them, you will then be protected for the next 3 years.

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Protect your Mobile number

Originally Posted by papilon
From next month all Australian phone numbers have been sold off which means any telemarketing company has access to them, to stop these companies getting your number and hassling you call this number, which has been setup by the government and register with them, you will then be protected for the next 3 years.

Thank you!
I've started getting telemarketers already!

I didn't know there was an Aussie telephone preference service type jobby. (that' waht that number is)

They also have a website: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

Sending you some Karma
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You can also do it online:
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

Mochinbach beat me to it!

I'm pretty sure I put my name on that list about a year ago. Not sure if it's the same one or not but I'll be doing it again just in case!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t see the point of the DO Not Call register, it even states on their own site:

“Registering your telephone number on the Do Not Call Register will not stop all telemarketing calls to your number.”

“You can also still receive calls from market researchers.”

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Bullsheet...

Another mug falls for the email crap...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Half the Mobile No's were already public.... they are in the white pages. Telemarketing companies would go broke phoning exclusively random Mobile No's

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 23rd 2010 at 8:11 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Bullsheet...

Another mug falls for the email crap...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Half the Mobile No's were already public.... they are in the white pages. Telemarketing companies would go broke phoning exclusively random Mobile No's
The link you have put up is for an American site, whilst the do not call campaign might not protect you from all telemarketers it will keep some at bay.

Why so aggressive? calling people Mugs? i am generally very cynical, do not believe in most conspiracy theories, media hype or e-mail scams, but telemarketers i find incredibly annoying and am sure many others do as well, just passing on what i believed was usefull information.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The link you have put up is for an American site, whilst the do not call campaign might not protect you from all telemarketers it will keep some at bay.

Why so aggressive? calling people Mugs? i am generally very cynical, do not believe in most conspiracy theories, media hype or e-mail scams, but telemarketers i find incredibly annoying and am sure many others do as well, just passing on what i believed was usefull information.
Many of the scams on Snopes appear in slightly different formats in different countries - slight changes to wording etc.

I'm sure you meant well, but the fact is that many Aussie mobile numbers do already appear in the White Pages, and registering won't stop most of the calls.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'm fairly certain you are posting this as the result of an scam email thats doing the rounds. I've received two in the last month on this subject. One actually claims you will be charged if you answer.... which is only possible in Canada and America. It's almost as silly as the rumour re putting ones pin number backwards into the Auto Teller if you are getting robbed so as the alert the Authorities of ones plight..... if that wasn't so dangerous it would have been laughable.

I'd like to keep this kind of crap destined for the trash in my Email client rather than seem remnants of it appear on BBS Forums.

BTW has anyone noticed the people that send this kind of crap on tend to send racist emails re Muslims etc. I'm not suggesting that the OP does this.... it's just the people I get these emails from do. It annoys the bejesus out of me..... Thats where my aggression is coming from.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Because I'm fairly certain you are posting this as the result of an scam email thats doing the rounds. I've received two in the last month on this subject. One actually claims you will be charged if you answer.... which is only possible in Canada and America. It's almost as silly as the rumour re putting ones pin number backwards into the Auto Teller if you are getting robbed so as the alert the Authorities of ones plight..... if that wasn't so dangerous it would have been laughable.

I'd like to keep this kind of crap destined for the trash in my Email client rather than seem remnants of it appear on BBS Forums.

BTW has anyone noticed the people that send this kind of crap on tend to send racist emails re Muslims etc. I'm not suggesting that the OP does this.... it's just the people I get these emails from do. It annoys the bejesus out of me..... Thats where my aggression is coming from.

I didnt recieve this as an email, i read about it on a Stocks and Shares forum i am on, i didnt recieve all the scare info like in the link, which for me would have sent up the red flags, sorry for being a mug
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didnt recieve this as an email, i read about it on a Stocks and Shares forum i am on, i didnt recieve all the scare info like in the link, which for me would have sent up the red flags, sorry for being a mug

The Government are not about to release the details to Telemarketers. So the Information is incorrect.

If your Stocks and Shares site is allowing this information on their site unchallenged, I'd be very wary about the rest of the data on their site.

Heres an Australian site warning about the content of this latest bullsheet.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/do-not-call-register.shtml
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:41 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

if i get another call from the optus call centre i'll shove my mobile up their ass- sideways