Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Fraud

Credit Card Fraud

Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice
Default Credit Card Fraud

Hi has anyone has their credit card invaded,i just found out this morning when i checked on line ,someone has been using my card,so i rang the bank and they have put a stop on it,but he said someone must of made a duplicate card because its been used in take aways in the Vic Park area.I have a idea of who it might be,about 3 weeks ago i signed up to have some blinds fitted by A** better not write the full name..lol..but anyway they wrote down my card details on the form and it started just after that.I dont use my card that often,so just like to warn people DONT let anyone have your details ,i thought i was careful but they got me!!
Just got to go through the hassle now of getting about $500 back they took it in 5 different places,bit by bit..
Oh and to top it all off the blinds have to be replaced all mis-measured,and they have let me down 3 times now,and dam rude on the phone.So very cheessed off at the moment !!...lol

Last edited by sue&bob; Feb 25th 2010 at 5:32 am.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card Fraud

I had a card cloned in the UK - as you say, it was 50 quid here and there, small amounts so as to not set off alarm bells - always in petrol stations.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue&bob
Hi has anyone has their credit card invaded,i just found out this morning when i checked on line ,someone has been using my card,so i rang the bank and they have put a stop on it,but he said someone must of made a duplicate card because its been used in take aways in the Vic Park area.I have a idea of who it might be,about 3 weeks ago i signed up to have some blinds fitted by A** better not write the full name..lol..but anyway they wrote down my card details on the form and it started just after that.I dont use my card that often,so just like to warn people DONT let anyone have your details ,i thought i was careful but they got me!!
Just got to go through the hassle now of getting about $500 back they took it in 5 different places,bit by bit..
Oh and to top it all off the blinds have to be replaced all mis-measured,and they have let me down 3 times now,and dam rude on the phone.So very cheessed off at the moment !!...lol
Were they cash machine withdrawals ? Just writing down the card details isn't enough to clone a physical card. If they were cash machine withdrawals then someone somewhere has swiped your card and got the details.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Were they cash machine withdrawals ? Just writing down the card details isn't enough to clone a physical card. If they were cash machine withdrawals then someone somewhere has swiped your card and got the details.
There were 3 different takeaways and a phone shop "3" twice,, which is strange because u need id to buy anything from a phone shop.
So how do they clone a card what else do they need?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup my DH had this happen to him just last week. He had bought some books on line and they hit him for over $1k but Westpac have been great and have said he wont have to pay and he has given permission for his details to be passed onto the police for fraud investigations. Apparently the usual trick is for the scammers to try the card out with a donation (small) to a charity and then if that isnt rejected then they go ahead with bigger withdrawals. He rarely uses his card for anything but we had used it for our new kitchen just a couple of days afterwards and I feared that someone in Ikea had been less than honest but it wasnt them as the first withdrawal was the day before we went to Ikea. Hopefully the cops will be able to gather enough intelligence to pick who did the leaking.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I had a couple of £1500 purchases made on my Nationwide card in 2005 after passing through Singapore. (They were made at a jewellers in Bologna: we only went to the UK).

It doesn't matter how careful you are (and I'm very anal with my cards) - there are all sorts of ways of getting your details.

Check your account online OFTEN! I found out when I returned to Oz and went online to see what my trip's damage was.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Six years in Singapore I never had a problem with fraud. Used my Amex once in Sydney and suddenly there was a GBP753 charge on it for an online transaction. (Yes I do mean GBP - and I'd just been back there but hadn't used my Amex.)

How do you stop it? Anybody who handles your card in a shop, restaurant, or processes an online transaction has enough details to use it online. This one was a hotel booking.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Somebody in the UK took out a Debenhams store card in my name and set up a direct debit to my bank account. I've no idea how they got my bank details, or why Debenhams never bothered checking that the address given to them wasn't my real one.

Three months passed with small direct debits being charged to my account, and I was away travelling so I didn't notice, it was only when I got back and noticed. I called my bank to get the details for the direct debit.

Debenhams were pathetic as they wouldn't talk to me about it - all they could do was ask me for my address to confirm I was the actual person, when durr the card was taken out using a false one. They also asked me stupid things such as 'could a member of your family have taken out the card in your name' - well if they did then it's still fraud isn't it?

I called my bank who were great and said because it was a direct debit transaction they could reverse the payments. I received the money back a few days later then wrote to Debenhams telling them to bugger off the card's not mine. I never did hear from them after that.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good for you telling Debenhams..lol..

I rang my bank again and said i have a good idea who leaked my details and they told me to call the police, so now they have all the details so just got to wait until they have time to deal with it i guess,lol..

Its put me off using my credit card again, just hope they catch the Pizza eating phone dickhead who done it..!!