Reload this Page >

Property in Frankston/Mornington

Property in Frankston/Mornington

Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:02 am
Just Joined

mshephe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property in Frankston/Mornington

Hi All,

Just saw this thread and although its a late reply I thought I'd share my great wisdom with you all

We moved into a rental in Frankston south in June 06, and bought in Frankston South in March 07 - so you could say we liked the place.
As someone in the thread has alread said the closer to Mt Eliza you can get the better the area; although we are only a few minutes (about 2.5km) from Frankston on Overport Rd and this is a nice area.

There is a major issue with a lack of a local pub in Frankston South; but Frankston is walkable (or a $10 cab) if you're feeling adventurous ... some of the patrons in Frankston can be "interesting", but you can spend a night in the pub watching people as a spectator sport (the Half Penny Irish pub is also good if you want to watch any actual sport as they show a multitude of Foxtel channels there).

Although we chose Franston South for the ease of commuting (as I work in the CBD); I'd say I would recommend Mt Eliza and Mornington more if you don't need the train service.
I'd also recommend the Backyard Bar in Mornington - its down a side alley from the main street but worth a try. Its a tiny bar that usually has a guy playing guitar on a Saturday night; we haven't been there for a while as we had a baby in May, but whilst my wife was pregnant (and I had a free taxi service for 9 mths) this was a regular spot on a Saturday.

A word of warning if you do commute from Frankston - it can be a longer journey than you might expect for a 40km trip. The trains seem to stop at a station about every 100yd so it will take over an hour on the train
(The express trains are quicker - but not by much ... say 58 minutes on a good day).
On the plus side Frankston is the end of the line - so on the way in you'll definitely get a seat.

Hope this all helps,
Shep