Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

proof of residency

proof of residency

Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:32 pm

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Default proof of residency

I have a job already but to suplement my income I'd like to do security guard training as i have had a job offer. However they say i need to be a permananet resident.

I'm on a provisional resident visa, i'm married to an australian citizen, I own my own property and I am in full time employment.

Is this not proof enough, does anyone know if there is an option? Can I get any dispensation to get on to the training course?

Thanks,

John
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: proof of residency

I think you are stuck until you become a permanent resident. Not sure if possible but if you are married and have been together 5 years or more or have children then you may be able to fast-track your temp status to permanent. Maybe post this in the immigration forum and someone there might know for sure.

S.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
I have a job already but to suplement my income I'd like to do security guard training as i have had a job offer. However they say i need to be a permananet resident.

I'm on a provisional resident visa, i'm married to an australian citizen, I own my own property and I am in full time employment.

Is this not proof enough, does anyone know if there is an option? Can I get any dispensation to get on to the training course?

Thanks,

John
You are very very unlikely to get a dispensation. When they say perm resident they almost always want proof of PR. Temp Spouse visas don't count, as they do not have the magic words "leave to stay indefinitely".
I'm married to an Aussie citizen too, and am about to lose my job cos I don't yet have the magic piece of paper!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn

What exactly are they asking? If it's simply a permission from DIMA to work or study then you already have that.

If it's to do with publicly funded fees, then it's more complicated.

Who is offering the course?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You are very very unlikely to get a dispensation. When they say perm resident they almost always want proof of PR. Temp Spouse visas don't count, as they do not have the magic words "leave to stay indefinitely".
I'm married to an Aussie citizen too, and am about to lose my job cos I don't yet have the magic piece of paper!

But with respect that's your employer's fault, not DIMA's.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:29 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But with respect that's your employer's fault, not DIMA's.
Oh I know, I'm not blaming DIMA, I'm blaming the Qld Govt and their nit-picking rule - although they accept that I am here to stay and the bit of paper may already be in the mail, they won't confirm my perm employment until I can produce it! And if I can't produce it soon, my contact runs out
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Oh I know, I'm not blaming DIMA, I'm blaming the Qld Govt and their nit-picking rule - although they accept that I am here to stay and the bit of paper may already be in the mail, they won't confirm my perm employment until I can produce it! And if I can't produce it soon, my contact runs out

A good private sector employer would never let a valued employee go for that reason (although if they wanted to remove that person it might well be a good excuse).

Unfortunately the public sector is often not so results-focused. Can they not give you an extension on your contract for a few months?

When is your 2 years for PR up? (from when you applied for the 820 visa). Once that has passed, it might be possible to ask DIMA to prioritise your application if there was an urgency from an employment point of view.

Probably doesn't apply to you, but others who have passed the threshold for a "long term relationship" since arriving in Australia can short-cut the two years by applying for a new spouse visa, of course this comes at the cost of a new visa application fee.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:00 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
A good private sector employer would never let a valued employee go for that reason (although if they wanted to remove that person it might well be a good excuse).

Unfortunately the public sector is often not so results-focused. Can they not give you an extension on your contract for a few months?

When is your 2 years for PR up? (from when you applied for the 820 visa). Once that has passed, it might be possible to ask DIMA to prioritise your application if there was an urgency from an employment point of view.

Probably doesn't apply to you, but others who have passed the threshold for a "long term relationship" since arriving in Australia can short-cut the two years by applying for a new spouse visa, of course this comes at the cost of a new visa application fee.
No, we don't qualify for the "long-term rel'ship" bit.
My contract has been extended several times, but due to the wonderful govt system of people "acting as someone who is acting as someone....", all the "acting" coming to an end, it looks like they have to advertise my post as permanent. I have spoken to DIMA who said I just have to wait, even though we put a letter in from my supervisor, with the PR paperwork.
The two years were actually up on February 25th (Yippeee!!!!) so I just have to sit and be patient........
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:04 am
JAJ
Retired

I have spoken to DIMA who said I just have to wait, even though we put a letter in from my supervisor, with the PR paperwork.
The two years were actually up on February 25th (Yippeee!!!!) so I just have to sit and be patient........
The public enquiry line will always tell you that "you just have to wait"

Might be worth a call/visit to your federal MP (he must do "surgeries" from time to time), the best way to put pressure on DIMA is through the Minister's office. Probably best to only do this if it's critical however.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
The public enquiry line will always tell you that "you just have to wait"

Might be worth a call/visit to your federal MP (he must do "surgeries" from time to time), the best way to put pressure on DIMA is through the Minister's office. Probably best to only do this if it's critical however.
I'm hoping, with all my fingers crossed, that the decision can't be far away - they've had all the paperwork for a month, and I haven't YET had a request for more evidence........
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
I think you are stuck until you become a permanent resident. Not sure if possible but if you are married and have been together 5 years or more or have children then you may be able to fast-track your temp status to permanent. Maybe post this in the immigration forum and someone there might know for sure.

S.
But with that scenario, you wouldn't have got a temp one anyway, they would automatically (most of the time anyway) make it PR
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:06 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But with that scenario, you wouldn't have got a temp one anyway, they would automatically (most of the time anyway) make it PR
5 years together at time of application, or 2 years if there are children involved. They only look at this *once* - ie at time of application.

If you want them to do this "test" again you need to apply for a new visa.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Pollyana,
Don't want to damper your spirits but my decision date was 19/01/06 & I didn't get a decision until 14/02/06 so nearly a month later.
Just wanted to let you know as it's a painful wait!
Stace

I'm hoping, with all my fingers crossed, that the decision can't be far away - they've had all the paperwork for a month, and I haven't YET had a request for more evidence........
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:46 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
Pollyana,
Don't want to damper your spirits but my decision date was 19/01/06 & I didn't get a decision until 14/02/06 so nearly a month later.
Just wanted to let you know as it's a painful wait!
Stace
Never mind painful, could be very broke after a month!!!!