Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Professional people in Adelaide?

Professional people in Adelaide?

Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional people in Adelaide?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I may be missing something, but don't most kids go AWAY to Uni. I know I was in the minority where I grew up, I actually went to Uni and still lived with my parents, but 90% of my friends went far away to University, across the UK, Europe and the US.

So if you moved to Adelaide, isn't it almost certain, they'd go to a Uni anywhere BUT Adelaide, therefore making the quality of Southern Australia's tertiary education irrelevant(and by implication, their ability to provide professional jobs, as wherever your kids go to Uni is where they are going to get business contacts)?

Cheers,
JTL
No, the great majority will attend uni in their home state and most still live at home whilst they're attending. There's nothing to stop students from moving state to go to Uni - but in practice it's only done if there are no suitable courses close by.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:19 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
No, the great majority will attend uni in their home state and most still live at home whilst they're attending. There's nothing to stop students from moving state to go to Uni - but in practice it's only done if there are no suitable courses close by.
yep, that's my experience too.
And in The Netherlands most people stayed around there(and it's small, so they could go to the otherside of the country ) I think about half my uni glass lived at home, the parents of other half lived up to about 3 hours away(by train).

Must be something British? Can't believe it though, must be just some areas or some ehhhh.. social circles or some schools??
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nickyc
There's no reason at all why your kids would be disadvantaged by being educated in Adelaide. Where you will find a difference is in the opportunities available AFTER they graduate. Adelaide is not exactly a centre for International Finance or a Silicon Valley so if your kids want to work in those areas then they'll have to move to where the work is (same as they would if they were educated in Cardiff, say).
This is precisely my point and sorry if you thought I was saying the education system in Adelaide is inferior.

Cardiff is 2.5 hours on the train from London where, like it or loathe it, there are certain jobs in banking and insurance, for example, that simply don't exist in any but a handful of cities worldwide. There are also a lot of decent jobs full stop; 1/3rd of the people working in London have degrees. That says it all really.

As I've said on another thread, Adelaide to Melbourne or Sydney is a journey on a different scale completely and I can see a situation where my kids can never live in Adelaide because of the career prospects.

It's OK for me because I have a one-off boost to my finances from a UK house sale, like so many other migrants. What many people forget is that their kids won't have that one-off boost.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simone
yep, that's my experience too.
And in The Netherlands most people stayed around there(and it's small, so they could go to the otherside of the country ) I think about half my uni glass lived at home, the parents of other half lived up to about 3 hours away(by train).

Must be something British? Can't believe it though, must be just some areas or some ehhhh.. social circles or some schools??
British students used to get a grant for living costs (and free tuition) so it made leaving home and attending uni elsewhere far more financially possible than now, but while loans have replaced grants and moving away from home to study has declined here it still happens.

It was seen as a part of growing up.

The British are generally quite an adventurous bunch.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:08 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
British students used to get a grant for living costs (and free tuition) so it made leaving home and attending uni elsewhere far more financially possible than now, but while loans have replaced grants and moving away from home to study has declined here it still happens.

It was seen as a part of growing up.

The British are generally quite an adventurous bunch.
Same situation as the Netherlands really. As far as I can tell from my small experience, and what you say.

I do know a few people who've done one semester work experience 'overseas'. Or one semester of the course. And heaps of the Dutch are backpacking around (like the British)
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Same situation as the Netherlands really. As far as I can tell from my small experience, and what you say.

I do know a few people who've done one semester work experience 'overseas'. Or one semester of the course. And heaps of the Dutch are backpacking around (like the British)
From my UK experience, students at Uni still living at home were considered quite sad (I was one of them ). As I said, most of my school friends went overseas to Uni (to the UK mainland, Europe or US), and half of the students at my Uni were from overseas. Looking back, it is a bit weird, but I guess it was a growing up thing, to be away from home, do your own washing , stay up late, get drunk, live on a budget etc,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:38 pm
Mel Gibson

This is precisely my point and sorry if you thought I was saying the education system in Adelaide is inferior.

Cardiff is 2.5 hours on the train from London where, like it or loathe it, there are certain jobs in banking and insurance, for example, that simply don't exist in any but a handful of cities worldwide. There are also a lot of decent jobs full stop; 1/3rd of the people working in London have degrees. That says it all really.

As I've said on another thread, Adelaide to Melbourne or Sydney is a journey on a different scale completely and I can see a situation where my kids can never live in Adelaide because of the career prospects.

It's OK for me because I have a one-off boost to my finances from a UK house sale, like so many other migrants. What many people forget is that their kids won't have that one-off boost.
You might find this interesting:
82% of Adelaide uni graduates get professional jobs.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/pr/media/.../unigrads.html

Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
You might find this interesting:
82% of Adelaide uni graduates get professional jobs.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/pr/media/.../unigrads.html
That's good news. My main worry, however, is that there is nothing for them in Adelaide and the vast majority will all have to leave the State.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

That's good news. My main worry, however, is that there is nothing for them in Adelaide and the vast majority will all have to leave the State.
A bit of travel never hurt anyone, in fact, as JTL pointed out it can often (rightly or wrongly) be viewed negatively if you don't. I guess your point is you'd be worried they wouldn't have the choice of staying in Adelaide, even if they wanted to.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:34 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Nothing in Adelaide is bullshit. Better prospects for some trades such as computers and high finance in larger cities for sure. Despite flouridating the water, Adelaidians still pay to have teeth drilled and plugged.

It is very typical for Australian families to be far flung from the ancestoral home regardless of the location of that home.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:35 pm
Mel Gibson

l think it would only be around 30% that would leave the state not the vast majority, does anyone know the statistics.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mlbonner
A bit of travel never hurt anyone, in fact, as JTL pointed out it can often (rightly or wrongly) be viewed negatively if you don't. I guess your point is you'd be worried they wouldn't have the choice of staying in Adelaide, even if they wanted to.
Yes, exactly, it's them not having the choice to stay that worries me.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
l think it would only be around 30% that would leave the state not the vast majority, does anyone know the statistics.
I am trying to find out from the Uni of Adelaide.