Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do with AUD100,000 for 3 months?

What to do with AUD100,000 for 3 months?

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

RobertUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with AUD100,000 for 3 months?

Hi - My immigration bond has just reached the 1 year mark and it has automatically been closed and transferred with interest to an aussie bank account that I had from ages ago when I went backpacking years ago.

It is sitting there with about 0.3 APR interest! The NAB say I can put it in to a Higher Rate account at 5.00% APR less tax.

Is this the best place to put it and where can I find easy access to a higher APR.

I'm still in the UK, have got my PR and will go in Feb/March 2005.

Regards

Robert.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do with AUD100,000 for 3 months?

Originally Posted by RobertUK
Hi - My immigration bond has just reached the 1 year mark and it has automatically been closed and transferred with interest to an aussie bank account that I had from ages ago when I went backpacking years ago.

It is sitting there with about 0.3 APR interest! The NAB say I can put it in to a Higher Rate account at 5.00% APR less tax.

Is this the best place to put it and where can I find easy access to a higher APR.

Regards

Robert.

I could recommend the Commonwealth Bank of Hels!!

I cant guarantee a high return tho...in fact you might find you wont get any of your money back........

But I promise to take very good care of it....

(Sorry I cant help with a more practical ideal....but this would be my first choice for YOUR $100k)
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RobertUK

Regards

Robert.
http://www.ingdirect.com.au are offering 5.25% - you would make $1255 before tax over the period - better than a poke in the eye !
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
http://www.ingdirect.com.au are offering 5.25% - you would make $1255 before tax over the period - better than a poke in the eye !

Shhhhhhhh...dont give him other ideas...

I am sure he is busily contemplating my offer and ya never know...I might just stand a chance!!!

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:59 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Stick it all on the favourite in the 3:40
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seang
Stick it all on the favourite in the 3:40
At Sandown?

Racing Demon - 8/11 ... don't like them odds ...
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:04 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
At Sandown?

Racing Demon - 8/11 ... don't like them odds ...
Jesus - there is a 3:40 .Haha .Still £72k profit
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:05 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Shoe box under your bed - best place for it, well thats where i keep all my money. wibble
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:06 pm
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by wargod
Shoe box under your bed - best place for it, well thats where i keep all my money. wibble
That reminds me what is your address again .Want to errrr send a christmas card .Yeah thats it I want to send a christmas card to your address
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:10 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
That reminds me what is your address again .Want to errrr send a christmas card .Yeah thats it I want to send a christmas card to your address
Fao Wargod
C/o HMP Wormwood Scrubs
A Wing Cell 15 (Lower Bunk)
PO Box 757
Du Cane Road
London
W12 OAE
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

RobertUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. The ING Direct account looks good at 5.25%. However, I was thinking whether any fancy off shore products might be appropriate so as to avoid unnecessary tax liabilities?
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

3.40 Sandown

1 - 6 Murphy's Quest 25-1
2 - 4 Without A Doubt 7-1
3 - 3 Racing Demon (IRE) 4-5 F

Winning Trainer - Lady Herries
Winning Jockey - L Aspell
10 ran
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:16 pm
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
3.40 Sandown

1 - 6 Murphy's Quest 25-1
2 - 4 Without A Doubt 7-1
3 - 3 Racing Demon (IRE) 4-5 F

Winning Trainer - Lady Herries
Winning Jockey - L Aspell
10 ran
ah well
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I asked more or less the same question but our money is in the uk. Still don't know what to do

Mandy
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:11 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

not sure if this will help but i think you should take up hels on her offer. I think it's a very serious and good offer which you should take while you can!

... (ok maybe it has something to do with her promising me 50% of it if you do... )

actually could you claim that as a tax loss? ok i'll shut up now.

seriously though i dumped 100K in a st george account for 6 months when i first got here. i can't touch it until april but it's earning just over 5%. it'll do me. i wasn't bothered about the interest but it's a great way to stop me from spending it!

Last edited by scutterUK; Dec 3rd 2004 at 10:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.