Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems finding suitable employment in Perth?

Problems finding suitable employment in Perth?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

crystalrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Problems finding suitable employment in Perth?

Hi Guys

Are there any ladies out there who have experienced problems finding suitable employment in Perth or Australia as a whole. After reading comments on another forum I have became very worried, apparently there were lots of women when landing in Australia who have had a real problem finding suitable jobs. Bascially they were told it was because they did not have relevant experience using the software in Australia, even if they completed a course they were still not given a chance because they did not have enough experience using it in a office. These ladies even tried local supermarkets but apparently in the end some of them found jobs cleaning, they were highly qualified individuals.

I currently work for the Local Borough Council, I am a Client Officer I visit people normally elderly and disabled and help them complete documentation to apply for grants to install LA Showers and Stairlifts I also try and source charitable funding if they are not able to obtain a government grant. I am not sure if I would find employment in this area of work but I really do not mind I have some housing experience within the council also I have reception Mangers experience and some trainee legal secretary experience so hopefully fingers crossed I will not have to clean for long in Perth if and when we come out

Any helpful advice or comments is much appreciated thank you for taking the time to read my thread

Teresa
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:13 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems finding suitable employment in Perth?

Originally Posted by crystalrose
Hi Guys

Are there any ladies out there who have experienced problems finding suitable employment in Perth or Australia as a whole. After reading comments on another forum I have became very worried, apparently there were lots of women when landing in Australia who have had a real problem finding suitable jobs. Bascially they were told it was because they did not have relevant experience using the software in Australia, even if they completed a course they were still not given a chance because they did not have enough experience using it in a office. These ladies even tried local supermarkets but apparently in the end some of them found jobs cleaning, they were highly qualified individuals.

I currently work for the Local Borough Council, I am a Client Officer I visit people normally elderly and disabled and help them complete documentation to apply for grants to install LA Showers and Stairlifts I also try and source charitable funding if they are not able to obtain a government grant. I am not sure if I would find employment in this area of work but I really do not mind I have some housing experience within the council also I have reception Mangers experience and some trainee legal secretary experience so hopefully fingers crossed I will not have to clean for long in Perth if and when we come out

Any helpful advice or comments is much appreciated thank you for taking the time to read my thread

Teresa
I know plenty of new arrivals in perth that have found office work very easily. Some others haven't. Personally I think it is about setting expectations at a reasonable level. Employers, rightly or wrongly, want to see that you have Australian experience on your CV. You may have to take an office job that you think is beneath you to start with and build from there. I think that is where a lot of people fall down, think they can waltz into an indentical role to the one they left behind in the UK. I believe it just doesn't work like that.

Whereabouts in Cambs are you, I came from just outside Huntingdon to Perth.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There is no different software in Perth to that anywhere in the world. Of course there will be company/industry specific packages, but that's the same the world over.

My experience has been very good with finding work. I went for an interview the day after we arrived in Adelaide and was offered not the job I applied for, but a permanent position with the recruitment agency that was advertising the job! 9 months later we moved to Perth and again I was offered the first job I applied for. I ended up hating it, so decided to try temping for a while. I now work (after just over a year of temping with them) for the state gov't department of health as a permanent reliever. I do relief admin contracts when perm staff are on long service or secondment. Currently I'm on a 6 month contract with Graylands, which is the state psych hospital.

Basically, if you are good at your job you shouldn't have a problem finding one. Just be choosy about which agencies you sign up with. They may have different conditions attached which could go against you.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

I think the software you refer to is an accounting package called MYOB (Mind Your Own Business).
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Caz-an-Felix is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I had no experience in office/admin work & I got a job in Perth within the first 3 weeks. Have a look online at diff websites like seek.com.au etc.. will give you a rough idea they also list the experience you need for each position. x
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:46 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't find a job at your previous level straight away, consider temping for a while. That gets you some "Australian experience" on your CV. And temp jobs often naturally lead into a perm job.

I think the main thing is to be flexible when you first arrive.

Gina
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:53 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by crystalrose
Hi Guys

Teresa
There seems to be a bouyant 'not for profit' organisation job scene here in Perth. I volunteer for an organisation which provides the elderly and disabled with care at home, gardening social and shopping outings and my friend works in this industry and has never found it difficult to change jobs. Quite a few councils run these services in a big way, unlike the UK. There are also well established organisations here in Perth involved in providing these services and also have to apply for funds to run the organisations as often clients contributions seem to be minimal depending on their circumstances. If this is the area in which you would have an interest to work I can list a few so you can look at websites and www.seek.com.au usually lists most of these jobs. Hope this was helpful.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

crystalrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FiP
There seems to be a bouyant 'not for profit' organisation job scene here in Perth. I volunteer for an organisation which provides the elderly and disabled with care at home, gardening social and shopping outings and my friend works in this industry and has never found it difficult to change jobs. Quite a few councils run these services in a big way, unlike the UK. There are also well established organisations here in Perth involved in providing these services and also have to apply for funds to run the organisations as often clients contributions seem to be minimal depending on their circumstances. If this is the area in which you would have an interest to work I can list a few so you can look at websites and www.seek.com.au usually lists most of these jobs. Hope this was helpful.

Thank you for that helpful link, I will have a little look. Although I enjoy the type of work I do at the moment simply because I feel I make a positive difference in peoples lifes I don't mind Reception Work I would really like to try this in a Legal environment or any kind of temping work would be great!! I wonder if anyone has any links to some very reputable agency's that take the time out to seek employment and that may have helped them.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my thread and of course for all your wonderful help and advice.