Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems due to validation trip

Problems due to validation trip

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problems due to validation trip

Validating in April to Perth, since booking the flights I've realised we'll have problems trying to claim the 40 kilo luggage allowance later, once we do fly out for good, as the visa will be used. What other problems might validating bring up in the future once we're living there? I'm not certain how I will stand on transfering money or pensions ( does the 6 month rule start from when you validate or actually ' live ' there? ) Also should we register with centerlink on the validation trip ?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:15 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems due to validation trip

Originally Posted by john_w
Validating in April to Perth, since booking the flights I've realised we'll have problems trying to claim the 40 kilo luggage allowance later, once we do fly out for good, as the visa will be used. What other problems might validating bring up in the future once we're living there? I'm not certain how I will stand on transfering money or pensions ( does the 6 month rule start from when you validate or actually ' live ' there? ) Also should we register with centerlink on the validation trip ?
We validated last month and i knew about the 20 kg luggage allowance but wasn't too concerned. We opened a Saving bank account when we are there so we can do internet transferring of money ( FOC). Pension transfers i presume would be when you move permantley.

I believe that some airlines will negotiate your luggage allowance...before you bbok your flights ...ring around a few companies.

good luck with the trip
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

The 6 month rule for transferring your pension only starts running from when you become tax resident in Australia so you'll be OK for that.

You should be aware though that, if you are over 30, as a new migrant you have 12 months in which to take out private health cover and avoid paying the extra loading for Lifetime Health cover on your health insurannce. The 12 months starts running on the day when you enter the country to validate your visa. If you go back to the UK and then come back at a later date to live permanently, you may find that your 12 months has expired. This is particularly important for higher earners.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:45 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
The 6 month rule for transferring your pension only starts running from when you become tax resident in Australia so you'll be OK for that.

You should be aware though that, if you are over 30, as a new migrant you have 12 months in which to take out private health cover and avoid paying the extra loading for Lifetime Health cover on your health insurannce. The 12 months starts running on the day when you enter the country to validate your visa. If you go back to the UK and then come back at a later date to live permanently, you may find that your 12 months has expired. This is particularly important for higher earners.
Thanx for that ....i didn't know
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks too ..unfortunately I dont think I'll fall into the high earning bracket , but good to get the info back. I've email Singapore Airlines and they offered us 30 kilos each if we fly one way with them , even though the visa is 'used ' . Planning on leaving a case of clothes with rellies in Perth while were over there , so I think we'll be OK for personal belongings. Calling into the banks while on the reccie to try to work out which one is for us..I've seen they all charge more than the UK banks, we really only use DD cards here, no cheques, but will have to see what the score is over there ( and also try to remember what the answer is when you hand over your card and they ask '' Chickchergeorcraddit?''
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Thanks too ..unfortunately I dont think I'll fall into the high earning bracket , but good to get the info back.
Just so as you know, the extra Medicare surcharge of 1% is payable by single people earning over $50,000 and families earning over $100,000. If you have private health insurance (including hospital cover) then you don't have to pay the extra 1%
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Just so as you know, the extra Medicare surcharge of 1% is payable by single people earning over $50,000 and families earning over $100,000. If you have private health insurance (including hospital cover) then you don't have to pay the extra 1%
I think the poster may have meant the 'lifetime loading' of 3% on Private healcare cover. If you are over 30 and start a Private Healthcare policy, it will have a 3% loading on it. If you are a migrant, this does not apply as long as you start the cover within 12 months of arriving in Aus (I'm not if this would be that date you validate - I think it's from when you take up residence) It also doesn't affect you if you move your policy from one firm to another - it's only if you start cover from new.
HTH
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njk435
I think the poster may have meant the 'lifetime loading' of 3% on Private healcare cover. If you are over 30 and start a Private Healthcare policy, it will have a 3% loading on it. If you are a migrant, this does not apply as long as you start the cover within 12 months of arriving in Aus (I'm not if this would be that date you validate - I think it's from when you take up residence) It also doesn't affect you if you move your policy from one firm to another - it's only if you start cover from new.
HTH
The loading is 1% for every year over 30, so if you are 38 it's an 8% loading.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by njk435
HTH

Which poster do you mean - that was me
I was following up the point about incomes and why it would be beneficial to take out health insurance at all.

You're wrong about the 12 months starting to run when you take up residence. It starts from the date you first enter Aus after you have been granted your visa. The letter Medicare gave us to give to our health insurance company gave the date we enterd Aus on our validation trip in July 05. We didn't come over here permanently until Feb 06. This very point nearly caught us out as we took out insurance only 9 days before the deadline expired.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I think they meant me, thanks for the warning...I'm 38 now so the 1% per year loading does make a difference. Did anyone have problems transfering pensions over ?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks too ..unfortunately I dont think I'll fall into the high earning bracket , but good to get the info back. I've email Singapore Airlines and they offered us 30 kilos each if we fly one way with them , even though the visa is 'used ' . Planning on leaving a case of clothes with rellies in Perth while were over there , so I think we'll be OK for personal belongings. Calling into the banks while on the reccie to try to work out which one is for us..I've seen they all charge more than the UK banks, we really only use DD cards here, no cheques, but will have to see what the score is over there ( and also try to remember what the answer is when you hand over your card and they ask '' Chickchergeorcraddit?''
Hi,

We were with Commonwealth when we first got here as we set up the account from the UK. Have since changed to National Aus Bank as they do accounts for $3 per month and no other charges. As our mortgage is with a subsiduary of theirs (Homeside) we don't pay any charges at all. We also have an online savings account with them that pays 6% and you can transfer money from current to savings and vice versa instantly. Also got NAB credit card so it's really easy to have all online banking in the one place.

Jo
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I was following up the point about incomes and why it would be beneficial to take out health insurance at all.

You're wrong about the 12 months starting to run when you take up residence. It starts from the date you first enter Aus after you have been granted your visa. The letter Medicare gave us to give to our health insurance company gave the date we enterd Aus on our validation trip in July 05. We didn't come over here permanently until Feb 06. This very point nearly caught us out as we took out insurance only 9 days before the deadline expired.
There you go, hence the reason I said "I'm not sure but..." and "I think..."
I wasn't sure as we didn't do a validation trip.

For those interested/worried about the lifetime loading it may be worth having a read of this:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...health+cover-2
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
The loading is 1% for every year over 30, so if you are 38 it's an 8% loading.
You're out by 100% - it's 2% per year over 30. There *is* a maximum, from memory it's something like a 60% loading.

If you intend to take out health cover and are substantially over 30 - as we were - it makes a very significant difference to the premiums to "get in" before the 12 months are up.