Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

Just out of curiosity, can I ask why you moving back to the UK?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:05 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Sorry, but PLEASE. How backward to you think Australia is? Why don't you read to her very night?
It's a fact, Australia is WAY behind the UK with regard to the education system. We live in Mandurah, and the WA system, particularly at kindy/ pre-primary is miles behind!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
It's a fact, Australia is WAY behind the UK with regard to the education system. We live in Mandurah, and the WA system, particularly at kindy/ pre-primary is miles behind!
Or miles in front depending on whether you believe small children should be playing or deep into learning facts and figures.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:42 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Or miles in front depending on whether you believe small children should be playing or deep into learning facts and figures.
Valid point. Either way, there is a noticable difference between the 2 systems.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Valid point. Either way, there is a noticable difference between the 2 systems.
If you get a decent teacher, my view is that the WA primary system is miles ahead of the UK. The emphasis on the whole person is much better, the lack of emphasis on testing, the lack of hot housing, which seems to be a major part of UK primary schooling now, all add to a better education.

The difficulties really begin in secondary where a whole string of systemic failures in Australian education cause acute problems. Some of these systemic issues impact on primary education also (e.g a lack of teacher accountability, consistency and therefore equality of opportunity for all kids) but the ramifications of failures at that level are relatively minor.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Agreed. My son (age 10) would be swatting for the 11 plus exam and entry exam by now. His friends in England nearly all have tutors and the pressure on them is unbelievable. I am so glad that he has a far less pressured, laid back school here. He is allowed to just be a kid for a little bit longer, and that is priceless.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate the views and thoughts from all angles.

I am not concerned that one system is better than the other but more I just want my daughter to slot into the new system as easily as possible. She's not stupid by any means and I certainly think her introduction to school has been pretty good over here, she is the youngest in her mixed class and some of it is noticeable. My concerns with any system is that it doesn't always suit the child. They all learn differently to and a system is just that a system. Understanding it is helpful and I feel a bit in the dark. The feedback I've got from my friends in the UK over the past few days has helped me no end, as well the posts on here. It's that kind of support I find lacking locally I guess because if you're kid is doing ok they can just drift through the system. I've just spent a couple of nights giving her a bit of extra time with her reading, writing and encouraging spellings of sight words and the difference is fantastic. She loves it to. I really hope that I can take and blend the experience from here with the UK way of life and be a better person and parent for my kids. Something in the middle would work well for us as a family.

In response to "why are we moving back". It's hard to say that it's one particular reason. We have three small children and aspects of life here is so bloody fantastic however I feel that some of the sacrifices my husband and I will have to make here will impact on how happy we are. For example: career choices for DH are better in UK, support with the kids from time to time or in moments of great need, relationships with extended family are valued more now than before, support for us as adults (being here alone makes our relationship more intense because we only have each other to pull on), trips back to the UK are expensive and we feel a bit "stuck", DH's parents aren't getting any younger, my mum is on her own in UK, some of the competitiveness of UK can be healthy, access to Europe, I'd like to do some of the things I did as a kid with my children and the culture here feels different. I know I might get shot down but I find people on this website fairly insightful but I haven't come across that much in real life and I don't feel very inspired. Perhaps I'm just different and don't fit.

I'm waffling and I need some sleep.

Thanks again for responses.